Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Question: Diff Grease

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 AM
fishycomics

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question: Diff Grease

I am looking for diff grease. what do you recommend online link would be helpful not to break my bank account either thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 05:59 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Which car and setup are you using? i.e. driving conditions, etc...

Ball diff or sealed gear diff?

There are no short cuts for diffs, you will want to use specific RC grade brands for the best results.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:38 AM
fishycomics

Sorry. some of the cars. Cheetah by JLB.

I read last noght after the post and found a few topics here via outside search engine. Looking to just put in grease and place on oil. not doing this for professional stuff... a simple grab the car go out to the paved street and lap back and fourth no bashing just back and fourth runs.

I will have to read the Online pdf (read it) manual, the diffs and 4 wheel shaft all get "grease" nothing of weight was said.

1So more or less all I am looking to do is lube for general maintenance the gears. it has been way to long to remember from the years I been as a kid. why I asked. for some advice.

Jlb cheetah looking to lube the revolving parts? Hope my questions was not to off in ways. back and fourth easy passes no bashing no racing just relaxing stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	123
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2259181

Name:	s-l225_1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	2259182
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

The best RC grease is TrakPower waterproof grease. It doesn't break down and has anti-sling properties. Comes in a little tub. Under $10. Will last you for years.

For general lubrication, TrakPower Dry Lube. It's a wax lube in a liquid medium that leaves a lubricating film that doesn't attract dirt. Good for CV joints and drive cups.

You can use the dry lube on the bearings, but I would use a little of the grease. Pop the bearing seals out with a hobby knife, clean the bearing, and with the knife, push some grease into the bearing, and replace the seals.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I just looked up the manual for your car and I confirmed that it has a sealed diff:
https://jlbracing.en.made-in-china.c...AGE-SEVEN.html

Personally I would used diff fluid just to play it safe and ensure your gears are properly lubricated and offer some level of tuning to make your car easier to drive.

You can use any automotive grease, I like to use Green Grease brand for all my rubber seals to prevent leaky shocks/diffs, but using the same grease on the planetary gears (as the manual shows) will let your car "diff out" and feel very inconsistent (twitchy) in corners. Grease will be more likely to gum up with debris and cause your gears to wear out more quickly.

For a Monster Truck I would go with 15K Front, 15K middle and 10K rear fluids in your diffs to start out with and then use this guide here to make any adjustments if desired:
https://ptrcracing.com/product-category/diff-oil/

Name:	15824512935_13c8f9fb67_b.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	2259193
Old 03-14-2018, 12:50 PM
fishycomics

@EXT2Rob and @Bill_long

Thank you both, appreciate your time helped me out . I am sure that is what I was looking for and again thank you for taking the time. I am sure I will check the gears and all and maintain them. I got some lube around of the household and will research into the rc stuff again thank you
Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Having sealed gear diffs, I agree with Bill, get some diff fluid in the weights he suggests. Have fun man!