Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

TSM Stability Management Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Olsenblane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSM Stability Management Alternative

I could not find a similar thread, so posing the question to others. Do other vendors besides Traxxas offer some form of Stability Management, similar to Traxxas' TSM? If so, is there a generic name for it that I can look for?
I am new to RC, and looking into something like a DHK Zombie, VKAR Bison, X-MAXX, or something similar. I dont want to drop $1k on X-Maxx if I can find a similar/better solution to a rough, tough truck/truggy, but the Stability Management feature looks like its almost a necessity - especially when running 3S+ LiPos.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:22 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Spektrum offers a receiver with their AVC system (Automatic Vehicle Control) that performs similarly to the Traxxas TSM.
You would of course have to have a Spektrum surface transmitter in order to use the AVC receiver. A lot of the Losi vehicles have the AVC on board now as they come with Spektrum radio systems.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...dID=SPMSRS6000
Old 03-16-2018, 04:06 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have not used AVC but do have TSM in a 1/16 ERevo .
I would not call it a must have .
The best thing about it I think is the way the car launches , nice and straight . But it only helps with the front wheels on the ground so some throttle control is still needed .
Old 03-18-2018, 11:19 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Gyro's have been around for years, they used to be called "Drift Boxes" and I think HPI was one of the first brands to market them. I also believe KO Propo was the first surface based radio system to integrate them with the transmitter to be able to adjust the gain control from the radio, and then other brands slowly caught onto this concept. One of the least expensive brands with an integrated gyro is Radiolink who now charges the same price for the entire radio system at roughly $50 where HPI charged $50 for just the stand alone drift box without any integration, ha!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

We've been running RC cars for over 30 years with no stability management, why all of a sudden do we need it? If anything, it makes you a better driver if you don't use aids like that.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:38 AM
bill_delong

Originally Posted by collector1231
We've been running RC cars for over 30 years with no stability management, why all of a sudden do we need it? If anything, it makes you a better driver if you don't use aids like that.
I disagree... having tested gyros with my KO Propo EX1 about 5-6 years ago, I was able to drift around corners and carry speed that I could never do without the gyro. It was like taking candy from a baby on a loose pack track to the point where I lapped the entire field. Folks were amazed at how much of a difference it made, and I easily got TQ, but disabled the gyro during the main and only then was it a very tight race, I think I finished 3rd that day (without the gyro assist)... folks were always asking me if I was running the gyro on days when I was running fast.

What I have learned is that you need very little gain, anywhere from 5% to 15% max... too much gain will cause more harm than good, and it's a variable depending on amount of traction... so the looser the surface, the less gain you need... as traction picks up you can increase the gain to a point of diminishing return where medium to high grip tracks are essentially useless to have any gyro assist.

Last edited by bill_delong; 03-19-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by bill_delong
I disagree... having tested gyros with my KO Propo EX1 about 5-6 years ago, I was able to drift around corners and carry speed that I could never do without the gyro. It was like taking candy from a baby on a loose pack track to the point where I lapped the entire field. Folks were amazed at how much of a difference it made, and I easily got TQ, but disabled the gyro during the main and only then was it a very tight race, I think I finished 3rd that day (without the gyro assist)... folks were always asking me if I was running the gyro on days when I was running fast.

What I have learned is that you need very little gain, anywhere from 5% to 15% max... too much gain will cause more harm than good, and it's a variable depending on amount of traction... so the looser the surface, the less gain you need... as traction picks up you can increase the gain to a point of diminishing return where medium to high grip tracks are essentially useless to have any gyro assist.
Yes, but gyros/aids take the fun of learning throttle control and steering control from RC racing on loose tracks. That's the only way you become a better driver, by learning without anything to help you. When you first start driving 1/1 cars, you don't get a nice car with traction control and ABS, you get a crapbox with bald tires and no assists, so you can learn to respect the car and the road.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:24 AM
bill_delong

Yes, but gyros/aids take the fun of learning throttle control and steering control from RC racing on loose tracks. That's the only way you become a better driver, by learning without anything to help you. When you first start driving 1/1 cars, you don't get a nice car with traction control and ABS, you get a crapbox with bald tires and no assists, so you can learn to respect the car and the road.
I agree that it can be a personal preference, taking the fun away for you, but adding a significant amount of traction and vastly improving handling for less experienced drivers... for pro level drivers in my area who have already mastered drifting, they said gyros actually took away the twitch and found it more difficult to get the car to rotate in sections when they want to get the car sideways, and it would also negate the ability to do proper tail whips in the air losing the ability to position the car properly for landings on certain angles. I recently moved up from Sportsman to Expert, so I'm slowly gaining experience to appreciate more advanced maneuvers. I still believe your average sportsman level driver will have an overall advantage with a gyro on dry loose pack.

Another way to look at this technology is like having training wheels, it can help you build the confidence knowing what the capabilities the car has to offer with the assist and then try to carry the same corner speed without the assist
Old 03-20-2018, 01:31 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by bill_delong
I agree that it can be a personal preference, taking the fun away for you, but adding a significant amount of traction and vastly improving handling for less experienced drivers... for pro level drivers in my area who have already mastered drifting, they said gyros actually took away the twitch and found it more difficult to get the car to rotate in sections when they want to get the car sideways, and it would also negate the ability to do proper tail whips in the air losing the ability to position the car properly for landings on certain angles. I recently moved up from Sportsman to Expert, so I'm slowly gaining experience to appreciate more advanced maneuvers. I still believe your average sportsman level driver will have an overall advantage with a gyro on dry loose pack.

Another way to look at this technology is like having training wheels, it can help you build the confidence knowing what the capabilities the car has to offer with the assist and then try to carry the same corner speed without the assist
That's very true... Was trying to stay close to my point, but I gotta say, your argument is very compelling, lol. You think a gyro would help with a 1/10 buggy on an outdoor clay track? That's the one car in my fleet I can't get good control over when racing.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 PM
bill_delong

No doubt it would help on 2WD cars, but probably not much if your track grooves up to medium traction or better... it will make the most difference in high speed corners and slippery chicanes... though most clubs in my area only allow gyros in the novice classes, so might want to check your club for rules there. We did have a spec class for the Losi Mini-8ight which came with a gyro and was allowed, but the class never really took off due to durability issues on the platform
Old 04-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Bmr4life
My Feedback: (45)

RCs are way faster and more powerful that they were years ago, mainly thanks to brushless motors and lithium batteries. Vehicles today easily overpower their tires for tractions and turn them into pizza cutters. You can get a 50mph RTR for just over $100 today so a lot more people are going fast.