Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Trinity XXX Brushes

Old 03-17-2018, 03:56 AM
KoroKoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trinity XXX Brushes

Hi Guys. Did a search on the forums and google. Not a lot of info has come up. Except their website says this compound lasts 50x runs. Not 100% sure what that means / entails... So...

I don't have much experience with the XXX compound however I have heard they provide the best comm life with low turn motors. (Most of my motors are 12~10 turns to 6x1 turn hand wounds).
Currently I have 42 (fourty two) motors/ armatures and I'd like to convert all of them to use the XXX compound. To calculate how many brushes I should buy - approximately how many sets of XXX brushes would I expect to go through per armature with best maintenance practices? (Turning on the lathe when required etc.)

Problem is... I still want more motors. Does it look like I have enough yet?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180316_230837191_zps6lfksg67.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	2259488

Last edited by KoroKoro; 03-18-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:47 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

In my opinion, there are too many variables to say you need x amount of brushes for each motor/armature. How hard you push your motors, and how many times/how often you cut the comm will be the biggest factor. Yes? Trinity's brushes, supposedly, will last 50+ runs before needing replaced. Must be a harder compound. I don't remember ever getting that many runs on a set of brushes.

Quite the collection of motors. Do you have a favorite? Curious to know what are you running them in.

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-18-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:01 PM
KoroKoro

From what I've read online: "They are able to reduce comm wear to that of standard brushes when compared to regular high silver brushes". However this is quite vague. I assume they're designed for use in high current applications, though from what I understand, most wear is caused by arcing and high surface temperatures when the brushes periodically short themselves out as they pass over the comm segments?
So just keeping it simple and just going by the first statement. Generally speaking, how long do people find their comms to last? (On road touring car application) I would have thought that maybe you could go through 2-3 brush sets per armature? (4~6 skims on the lathe?)
I don't actually race, so I don't really have much experience or knowledge to know how things hold up in those sort of harsh conditions. I actually prefer to just spend time doing practice laps by myself. I'm no where near fast enough to push these motors to their limits, though having said that, my choppy throttle input probably isn't very good for the motors either.
My favourite motor would have to be the Trinity D5. Spent many hours drooling over the adds in my generic RC magazine in my teenage years. They seem to be pretty hard to come by.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:54 PM
KoroKoro

Actually I got a reply from Trinity (Amazing I know!) and I was told that "they were designed for 50+ runs without cutting the comm* (IIRC)"
I don't know how much truth there is to this as the original marketing was rather vague. I assume this was 27T stock motors. I suppose my mileage with low turn mod will be much less.
Plus the sales guy was going off 20yr old memory, the engineer who designed it probably is no longer there (actually I assume its made/designed by Epic Japan) either way - I doubt the same engineer from 20 years ago is still there.
So based on that very grey info, I bought 80 sets for $3 each. Thats just under 2 sets per motor/armature. Half are standup and the other are P94. I'm sure it will last me decades to come.

While I was at it, I picked up 10 new brazed carbide turning tools for the comm lathe. specific for non-ferrous too. So that should last me decades as well.

Then I lost all self control - picked up a new TRF414 and TA06.

My next challenge will be finding a body that I want. For some reason everything I wanted back when I was a kid is worth hundreds now... Damn it...

I was looking for:
Tamiya Castrol Celica GT4 from 1996... Some guy on ebay wants $230 for just the body! No decals...
Tamiya Castrol Supra... $207 + decals.
But at least they're available. They were just alternatives to what I really wanted:
300zx z32 from EXceed. Or any stock z32 for that matter. I can't seem to find any
I have the IMSA 300zx in the TA02 flavour. Though its a full on wide body trans-am, so it doesn't quite match my real full size 300zx. I'm really undecided if I should paint it in the original IMSA racing colours, or if I should paint it to match my real 300zx... Being such a rare kit, I can't bring myself to molest it. I only bought it NIB for $300 maybe 8 years ago? Only built it this year. I just checked on ebay - now going for $842... HOLY S***!!!!

Geez... Classic stuff is really appreciating in value!

*Snip* I can't post url links. Not too hard to find on ebay at least.