Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How do i troubleshoot steering failure?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How do i troubleshoot steering failure?

Old 03-27-2018, 01:20 AM
JENC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i troubleshoot steering failure?

After I had not used my Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 for 6 months during winter, i took it out for a spin today. Throttle/brake/reverse works fine, but there is no response at all from steering servo. I doesn't try to align the wheels straight at power on (as I recall it, it usally does that, but I'm not sure).

It worked when I last drove it in the fall. Now it just doesn't steer. No izzy sounds when I try to steer. No small jiggles from the steering servo. Just no response at all.

- Now my concern is, how do I trobleshoot?

As I see it, it can be the transmitter/remote, it can be the receiver, and it can be the steering servo at fault. I do not have other RC gear to test with (only this car).

- How do I test if error is with remote, receiver or steering servo?

And if someone know it could be other stuff (settings, etc.) that could be at fault, I would like to hear.

When a steering servo fails, will there normal be a squirke sound, a very slight attempt to move, etc? (here there is absolutely nothing). Can you test the steering servo by giving it current to two of the 3 cords?

Remote: ACE RC Cougar GP3
Reciever: ACE RC TRS403ss
Steering Servo: ACE RC DS1510

Kind regards
Jens
Old 03-27-2018, 02:15 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Having problems with steering servo or throttle issues? Maybe start with checking for loose wires/connections.

Do you have a known good spare servo, and/or ESC? That would be too easy. I get it...that's not always possible.

If your throttle channel is working fine and something is a bit wrong with your steering, or your steering is fine and your throttle is acting weird; I'd first make sure dual/steering rate knob/setting is at 100%. Then I'd disconnect any steering linkage from the servo and test with no load on the servo, then you can move on to swapping the plugs on the receiver. This is done to check for possible receiver issue.

• With power off...Place the channel 1 steering servo plug into the receiver's channel 2 port
  • Place the channel 2 ESC's plug into the receiver's channel 1 port.
  • Make sure Steering Trim is centered, and Steering Rate/Dual Rate at 100%
  • Have your RC on stand and/or tires not touching any surface.
  • Turn power on as normal.

This will allow you to use your transmitter's trigger to control the steering on your RC, and your transmitter's wheel to control the throttle. I say to make sure the steering trim is centered 'cause any left or right trim signals are now being sent to the ESC as forward and reverse signals.

Note: Any steering EPA settings you have will now effect the throttle channel... as you have swapped channels. The same goes for the throttle EPA settings.

I do this ESC/steering sevo plug swapping to diagnose radio/servo/ESC issues. When done, don't forget to swap the plugs back into the ESC the way they were...steering servo plugs into the receiver on channel 1, and the ESC plugs into the receiver on channel 2. Easy way to remember... "1 to turn, and 2 to burn!"
Old 06-16-2018, 12:29 AM
Zombotomy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the servo has died. try another servo see if it turns on and sets