RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Waterproof servo.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:38 PM
G. Huth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Waterproof servo.

Hello! I am thinking about getting the Rustler 4x4. As I've heard, the 2075 servos that come stock with the new traxxas vehicles don't last very long. So, I am asking: does anybody know a waterproof servo that is at least above the 125 oz-in which the 2075 servo has. It needs to also needs to be waterproof and around $30-$60.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:22 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have a look at a Power HD LW-13MG. There is also a 20kg version as well.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:53 PM
G. Huth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Have a look at a Power HD LW-13MG. There is also a 20kg version as well.
Okay, thanks is it on amain ebay? or both
Old 11-05-2018, 04:24 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

eBay seller gonitrohobbies is a great place to get RC goods. The Power HD LW-13MG servo has speed, and torque specs that I like for 1/10 scale platforms. If you wanted more torque than the (6.0V): 13.0 kg-cm (180.5 oz/in) LW-13MG servo, and are okay with slower transit speed, then perhaps the LW-20MG should be looked at.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:10 PM
G. Huth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I did some looking around, I also found the LW-25MG, which is the one i'm most likely to go with, its only about 15 bucks more so why not spend the extra for quite a bit more. Anyways thanks for the help .
Allthough, 319 oz-in and .16 on 6v and 347 and .14 on 7.4v might be overkill because i'm not racing. But its also confusing to me because @ 7.4v this 40 dollar servo has about 6 more oz-in of torque than a 260 dollor futaba servo and 319 oz-in on 6.0v.
FUTS9373SV
Lastly, how do you get the 7.4v or 6.0v? is it NIMH=6.0v and LiPo=7.4v?

Last edited by G. Huth; 11-05-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:34 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can also open up the 2075 servo you have now and just bridge the SMD polyfuse on the PCB that's the source of the unreliability. For some bizarre reason Traxxas put a two amp fuse in this place and that fuse failing for no reason is why these servos die so much. Servos don't need fuses on their PCBs(Indeed the vast majority don't have one), when they do, it's usually quite a high rating(8-10 amps). Why Traxxas put a 2 amp fuse on the 2075 control board eludes me. I have theories, but nothing concrete to back them up.

On voltage, there's a trend for high-volt servos that can run directly off of a 2s lipo. Normally the radio system is voltage regulated to 5 or 6 volts by the BEC in the ESC, which is what's powering the whole show. This holds true regardless of battery chemistry used to feed the ESC. High-voltage servos do not need that and can be run directly off a 2s lipo, which if paired with a high-voltage receiver, means you can do away with the BEC entirely. Not necessary for terrorizing the flower bed with a Rustler, but for extreme applications(Crawler guys, in particular, use this) it's useful. It can also be useful for nitro guys like myself, and especially 1/5 scalers, since these vehicles do not have an ESC and feed the radio directly from a battery. While 2s lithium batteries exist with a nominal voltage of only 6.6(LiFePO4), 7.4v LiPo batteries are far more commonplace and guys running ICE RCs tend to gravitate towards HV servos and receivers to make getting a receiver battery set up a bit easier.

Last edited by 378; 11-09-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:05 PM
G. Huth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the videos about the 2075 servo, seeing as the 2075 servo has plastic gears I would like to upgrade to metal. All though, i'm not 100% sure that it has plastic gears. But seeing how Traxxas kinda cheaps out on certain things i'm inclined to believe its plastic geared. I think that's the other reason they get replaced so often is because people strips teeth on the gears. If I get the rustler I will give the 2075 a chance cause there's not much harm in it.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:55 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Servo savers generally do wonders for plastic gears, it must be said. My Tamiya buggy has a 30+ year old 80s vintage plastic gear servo steering it, but it also has a servo saver, so that servo still works perfectly even now. Conversely, I chipped the teeth out of a plastic gear Hitec servo in 20 minutes flat with my CA-10, which lacks a servo saver(And a different karbonite-geared Hitec only lasted about 40 minutes).

Now, whether Traxxas' servo gears are up to task of living a long life behind a servo saver is anyone's guess. I don't own any so I can't attest one way or the other. But I 'spose you'll find out, if they hold then sweet if they strip there's always Futaba or Hitec.