RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

ECX Amp MT

Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 PM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ECX Amp MT

So I recently got this Amp MT as I get back into RC cars after selling all my nitro vehicles last year. This is my first electric hobby grade truck. I figured I would just play around a little before I committed to a better vehicle. Does anyone add weight to this truck? It sure is bouncy. I am sure I can find some softer springs but I was just curious of anyone ever added weight to the chassis.

I also just ordered a 7.4v 5000mah 35c lipo for this. I also got a set of three of the LHI brand low voltage buzzers because I assume I will need those with this ESC.

There do not seem to be many threads about this truck, at least after a quick search of the forums. Having fun with it anyway. I might just make it a real basher if I can find the proper parts for it. But as with anything, after I invest the money and time in it I might as well have bought a proper car LOL! Oh well, I guess tinkering is half the fun.

Anyone else play around with this model?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:24 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the Amp MT is great first step with a lot of potential.

I would not add weight, but would play around with shock oils to get the desired damping I wanted. You say it is "bouncy". Perhaps you got some left over shock oils laying around? If I didn't know what shock oil comes with the platform, I'd start with 35w oil to get a baseline feel.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:54 AM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think 35 is what is in it. I'll have to hit Hobbytown and get some more oils. I sold everything I had with the nitro vehicles. I'll start with the 35w though and see if it makes a difference. I have been playing around with the shock collars as well. I think I have two settings dialed in okay for now. One for the 7 cell battery and one for the 6 cell. Either way it is a fun little rig. I can see a better motor going in soon though. A little more punch would be nice...
Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 AM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I ordered an upgrade on the motor and gearing already. I wanted to stay brushless using 2s Lipo. I run this indoors a lot so anything more will be kind of overkill. I got the Arrma 15t 540 with 20/87 gearing. That with the 2s Lipo should get me close to 30mph I think.

We will see. I am just hoping the ESC can handle it. That will be the next purchase I think...
Old 01-11-2019, 11:45 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If wanting more umph, I'd skip the brushed motor scene altogether. I Tried doing that, but if I ran brushed motors any longer than 5 to 6 minutes, they would get extremely hot.

There are a bunch of good low budget ESC/brushless motor combos out there to choose from .
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I did read up about this and it seemed most people were not having issues with overheating with this particular combo. But, if I do have that issue I just might have to go brushless. What battery were you using when it was getting so hot on you?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 PM
seedygreenute

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think ECX has an upgrade metal transmission gesr set . If you start to power up and drive hard I would imagine the plastic ones will let go .
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have read about that as well. Most of those seemed to be people who upgraded to brushless setups. I'll see how long they hold up with this brushed setup. I imagine that upgrade will happen soon enough though.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:51 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
Well, I did read up about this and it seemed most people were not having issues with overheating with this particular combo. But, if I do have that issue I just might have to go brushless. What battery were you using when it was getting so hot on you?
I was trying out a couple of different 17T motors and using 2S 4000mAh packs. I was trying to go back in time I guess. Not go back to comm cutting days, just back far enough to try and use up a bag full of brushes still in my pit box. I'm sure there are good brushed motors lurking around out there, but I wasn't paying the money for one. I can get good brushless motors for under $20.

I've tried all kinds of recommended gearing, and springs. For the first couple of runs, the motors seemed great, I was diggin' them immensely, then the cans quickly heated up. Running 15+ minutes proved to be too long. I thought possibly I had the motors overgeard, but things worse so I went back to stock/recommended pinion. The brushed motor experience was short lived at the Rusty household.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ordered the Arrma 15t Mega motor. It was just over $20.

They market it as being good to go on 2s lipo. I am hoping it works out...
Old 01-16-2019, 11:20 AM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I got the little LHI low voltage beeper today. I have a 7.4v 5200mah 35c Lipo. What should I set the low voltage warning at? 3.4v? Or can I set it lower?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:09 PM
carriec

Default ERevo VXL

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what to check with my rc car. The tires turn when I hold it in the air, but when I put it down on the ground it won't move. I seems like the center metal shaft, turns, but doesn't turn the wheels. Hope that made sense.

Thank You!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:20 PM
vmabuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by carriec View Post
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what to check with my rc car. The tires turn when I hold it in the air, but when I put it down on the ground it won't move. I seems like the center metal shaft, turns, but doesn't turn the wheels. Hope that made sense.

Thank You!
You might want to start a new thread for your issue. Also, you might want to include the brand and model of your car. This will help with finding your solution. But sounds like you might have a stripped out servo horn...