RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New looking for car

Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Steveschu

Default New looking for car

hey guys
I am looking into starting to race and on a budget as of right now . Looking for a 2wd 1/10 buggy . I was looking into the kyosho ultimate 6.6 RTR . I seem to find mixed reviews . Any suggestions would help !
Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2019, 03:09 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where does a person start when looking at the pros and cons of getting into racing with a RTR? Also note that RTR does not necessarily mean Ready To Run. Sometimes batteries and charger are not included. Is that a good thing, or bad thing?

I personally think building a kit, and picking what gear you want in your RC is the best way to go. Once you factor in all items needed to make it happen...yes, the price tag can be a bit daunting. But, I do believe you would get more bang for your buck by starting with a kit IMO. I also think that a RTR platform is just plain great in a situation like when a person is strapped for cash and just wants to show up for a "run what you brung" class at a track.

Once a person gets addicted, then this is where a RTR platform becomes a stepping stone into re-buying/replacing mediocre items included with a RTR. First a person will be buying the appropriate wheels/tires for the track conditions. Once a new racer gets comfortable with making consistent laps, and crashing less, a need for speed will become apparent. Depending on RTR servo quality, and how much stress a person puts through it, a better servo is usually atop of a person's upgrade list. Once you get bumped up into another class from sportsman/novice, then possibly another motor will be needed. If a person wants to run in a spec class, then an upgrade in the speed control/motor department is probably next.

Not a lot of choices out there when looking to pick up a RTR 1/10 "racing" buggy, especially a RTR mid motor platform. Maybe a used platform is of interest? Going to a track to check things out, and you might find a few guys/gals wanting to part with their current ride in hopes of getting one of the latest and greatest models out there. Getting a used RC "roller" that is relatively current, or one that is one revision old (at most), could save a bunch of cash. You certainly don't want to be buying a used RC with hard to find parts.

Speaking of parts, maybe the track has hobby shop? If so, then I'd most likely buy a brand of RC that the shop stocks parts for. You certainly don't want your racing day to end early because you busted an arm in the first heat, and nobody around you has spares.

Call, or visit the track's website. From there you should find info on classes that would be available to you.

Lots of variables when trying to decide on how to enter a racing scene.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:57 PM
Steveschu

Thanks for the info Im kind of on the fence with a kit . I am strapped for cash though so trying to basically go and race but at the same time I can see the part about assembling yourself .
Old 01-27-2019, 10:11 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you need to save money, then buy used... if you buy a RTR, then you will buy twice.

Up front costs to get in the door are a drop in the bucket... be sure to factor in the race fees and tire wear, those are the most expensive aspects of the hobby. Ask locals at your club for which classes are the least expensive to run on tire wear... my club runs on turf and the 2WD buggy class tends to be the most expensive with tires only lasting about 2-4 race days.

Spec Slash is the least expensive to get into the hobby at $200 as RTR with only battery (LiPo), servo and radio to replace... then tires typically last around 20+ race days before they need to be replaced as an example.