Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC car

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Mitchjenn07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC car

I am very new to RC hobby. I bought a Traxxas rustler 4x4. I have been messing with gearing as a start. I went from a 11 T pi onion gear to a 13T and got a 4mph increase. I then put on an 18T pinion gear and it went down .3 mph. The road was a little wet but I’m not sure if it was that. Any opinions?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What are you using to measure the speed ?
If you are spinning your wheels on a wet road you wont go as fast .
It also takes longer to get to top speed so you might have just run out of road .
11T to 18T seems like a pretty big jump , do you have a temp gun ?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:30 AM
Mitchjenn07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for ur reply

i am using an IOS app on phone under body. Made multiple passes seems pretty constant.

i have the Traxxas titan 12T motor. Would like to upgrade but not ready to spend 200 on the brushless motor just yet since I am still new.

I did did not hear or see it slipping but I imagine it could have been.

i have a temp gun but only ran 3 passes with the 18T pinion to try not to blow up motor.

Im just thinking that a motor can only hold a certain gearing. I would think that at some point going with a bigger pinion gear would show it down.

the spur gear is stock 54T
Old 02-07-2019, 05:48 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

What gearing for upgraded electronics?

Decent combos can be found for as low as $40, this combo here can run up to 3S if you want to hit speeds in the 75mph+ range, keep in mind this motor has a 5mm shaft and will require different pinions:

GoolRC Waterproof 3660 3300KV Brushless Motor w/ 60A ESC Combo Set M5N7
Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 AM
seedygreenute

GPS can sometimes take a little bit to update its position . If you dont stay at full throttle for very long , it could give a slower speed reading .
As a first motor upgrade , Bills link seems Ok . Its a full size motor , not like some of the cheap finned ones ( smaller motor in a big case ) .
You can spend much more on motor combos but being new , I think something like this would be fine .
Another option would be the Traxxas VXL esc and motor . There seemed to be a lot of guys ( on another forum ) who are putting 1/8 scale combos in these . So there should be plenty of them on ebay .
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 AM
bill_delong

I would stay away from the VXL, it's a 3650 sized can with a 2 pole magnet which won't offer near the torque/acceleration that the 4 pole 3660 sized motor I linked. If you locked the center slipper then you would be able to do an infinite wheelie with the motor that I linked, as well as standing back flips with large enough wheels.

I would not recommend going any larger than a 3660 motor, while you can fit a 3674 motor, you'll risk tearing up the drive line at that point... Traxxas is not known for durability unfortunately
Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM
seedygreenute

The newer ones are 4 pole .
To tell the difference - there are 3 visible capacitors on the ESC and the motor wires have a braided cover near the end cap .
Dont get a 2 pole version !
The guys putting BIG systems in them are spending up on upgrades ( and probably breakages ) too .
Running 2S and Brushless it will be quick and should last . On 3S it will scream but parts wear faster and you crash harder !
Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 PM
bill_delong

I didn't realize that the newer VXL's switched to 4 Poles, that can be confusing, apparently they use the same part number too but with an R on the end, spending $250 on the Traxxas-4-Pole-Motor.pdf system is absolutely insane to me