Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Slash 4x4 speed run

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Wegmann38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slash 4x4 speed run

Hi,
Alright so recently I bought a used xo-1 and put quite a bit of time and effort into it to make it what I wanted and to track straight to the point where I was comfortable to use it at its capability. After that I am now hooked on the whole speed run builds.

So now I have a slash 4x4 that seems to be a very popular chassis to use. I have questions regarding the setup of the chassis as well as the electronics.

First the chassis. Right now where it sits my slash is bone stock other than the shocks. I have the Traxxas big bore shocks. Not sure if those are efficient or not. Just giving you an idea of I where I stand. I already ordered battery trays, custom motor mount and a chassis brace from saga custom rc. I now I’m gonna need to upgrade my driveshafts. The mip seem to be a preferred choice. Again I’m open to ideas. I need to change over to 17mm hexs. A tire recommendation is appreciated as well. And what parts really should be upgraded. Diff fluid. Ect..

Now for the big stuff!! From everything I’ve read the castle creations XLX ESC is a good one. But I’m not sure what motor to use. I’m looking at the castle creations 2028 motor. Is this one any good? I’m looking to make this car do over a 100 mph+. But I want a reliable motor that will give me that and not to much grief. I also found out which I never knew was to add cap packs for the riddle current. So which is a good cap pack. (makes me wonder if the xo-1 should have one to than) would it be a good idea to make the cap packs a plug and play or not. More connections is not great but is that really going to hurt me.

And last but not least! The connections. When it comes to the amps and what connections to use I’m at a loss. Are the xt90 connections any good for this or should I strictly make every thing bullet connections.

I know I asked a lot here. I just want to do this right. If any of this is most important it would be the motor/ESC that’s what I’m really trying to figure out. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2019, 05:12 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just move the XO1 electronics to the Slash ?
6S , MM2 , 2200KV and 1 : 1 gear ratio (or close to it ) has been done 100s of times .
Its a big strong but slow motor , can you get the gearing you need to fit ?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Wegmann38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to keep the xo-1 as is. I just want a project to do and it would be a learning experience for me as well. I want to build a car that goes 100+. Not bought. I just need a few pointers from anyone with the knowledge
Old 03-03-2019, 10:46 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I havnt done a Slash but here are some tips .
Convert it to Mod 1 gears , using the Revo 3.3 spur gear . Mod 1 gears have bigger stronger teeth .
Very thick diff fluid ! You dont want the diff suddenly breaking free and sending everything to 1 wheel .
I used cheap 17mm adapters , they widened the wheel track a bit which helps .
GRP tires . If you keep them on the ground they will stay together !
Shocks are not super important . As long as you can find springs that give you a low , and I mean low , ride height . This is a speed run car , its only going on nice flat roads !
Most guys I have looked at use a GT style body . Some even make flat undertrays to reduce air getting under the car , front splitter or spoiler . Air going under is bad !
You might need to add weight to keep the front down .
Choose your batterys first . This will detirmine what ESC and motor to get .
You can go bigger on ESC but you dont want to over rev the motor too much . A 4S motor on 8S wont last too long .
Like I said 6S , MM2 or MMX and a 2200kv motor has been used to push a lot of RCs to 100 mph . Something like this would be my choice , but thats up to you .
Find a good place to do it . When you crash ( everyone crashes ... I did ...lol ) you dont want to damage anything thats not yours !
Range test your transmitter !
Start off slow and get the car setup first . Make sure its tracking straight , you dont really want to be putting too many steering inputs in at 100mph . Turn the steering down .
When doing a run , slowly squeeze the trigger . Trying to go too fast , too quickly can get you all out of shape !
You probably already know some of this owning a XO1 , but I hope it helps .