Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

The best off road truck for beginners?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The best off road truck for beginners?

Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 PM
mtrchamp
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best off road truck for beginners?

My friend is intersted in getting into the hobby of rc cars. I would like to get some info for him... what is the best electric gas off road truck?
Old 06-13-2003, 11:02 PM
shadowedkilla

depends what hes looking for, racing, bashing, etc.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:06 PM
mtrchamp

he wants something that he can use just for fun, so like bashing and a little racing
Old 06-13-2003, 11:25 PM
shadowedkilla

well for allaround bashing i love my e-maxx, you can do a lil rock crawling, jump, and is greak through bumps. however i dont live near a track so really wont know on the racing end of things. but i have found that even if your just buying for bashing to still worry about price because you get what you pay for and you can spend just as much downtime as up running if you get a junk product.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:06 AM
mtrchamp

He's interested in stadium trucks he likes the Associated T3, so maybe something along those lines, your opinon is greatly accepted

Old 06-14-2003, 12:45 AM
shadowedkilla

im really not the guy to talk to about STs hehe. i have an evader which i like a lot because it has a few built in hop-ups, however i would suggest if you go with that to get a different esc thats in it and upgrade to a bigger motor. but then again if your just looking for bashing the stock would prolly do just fine as well. IMO car cant be beat for the price.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:02 AM
gmac4826

probably snything with all wheel drive. wont get stuck as much and doesnt go as fast so it doesnt break as much. i recommend the rs4 mt from hpi.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:06 AM
mtrchamp

cool thanx for the advice, I'll give him the word

any other ideas

gas or electric
Old 06-14-2003, 04:05 AM
shadowedkilla

i would suggest reading the post electric vs nirto. gives pretty much the pros and cons of each side and then from their you can choose what would suit you best. i personally prefer electric because if your dont have as much time you dont have to worry about getting it tuned.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:52 PM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

the losi xxxt sport is a great truck from what Ive heard, alittle expensive, but I heard its great for racing. I think they are 270
Old 06-14-2003, 03:11 PM
mtrchamp

He's looking for something $250 and lower...? Maybe $260
Old 06-14-2003, 07:15 PM
gmac4826

the xxxt is a GREAT truck. it is easy to work on and it has many hop ups as your friwnd gets better. the hop ups range from tougher parts to performance parts. also team losi stuff lastss forever, ive has an lxt for 7 years now and with all the hop ups not only does it run great, it is still competitive.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:19 PM
mtrchamp

What about nitro/ gas. What's a good beginner nitro truck?
Old 06-14-2003, 07:51 PM
dan1220

not sure there really is a beginner truck. I would find out which engine is easiest to tune, and go from there. I would NOT start with a 2.5 from all the bad I have heard of them.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:53 PM
mtrchamp

what about the rc10 gt? or the Tower Hobbies st-15. those both come with a standard .15 engine in them
Old 06-14-2003, 09:22 PM
gmac4826

again id still have to go with the team losi xxx-nt but it is a bit expensive. my friend has had a rc10gt and hasnt had any probs with it so far but he has been recing for around 15 years. therefore i dont know if that would be good for a beginners truck.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:23 AM
gmac4826

Originally posted by dan1220
not sure there really is a beginner truck. I would find out which engine is easiest to tune, and go from there. I would NOT start with a 2.5 from all the bad I have heard of them.
for off road gas there isnt a beginner truck. every truck has one thing that will make a beginner pull their hair out.

i cant offer any help on what engine is easiest to tune except to say this:
1)definatly not the hpi nitro star series. you run it once and spend a tank readjustin it
2)all nitrop engines (i have yet to find one that doesnt at least) have the high end needle and the idle screw but the low end screw is not on the cheaper engines. this makes it easier to tune and therefore good for beginners

the best thing i can think of is to take a hpi nitro mt and put a mach .15 engine on it. there will be someone willing to buy the nitrostar that it comes with if you don tell them how crappy it is. the mach .15 is found on the team losi xxx-nt sport rtr
Old 06-15-2003, 12:27 AM
gmac4826

also, a .15 engine is oversized therefore some leagues may not accept it.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:05 AM
TRCZ-delete

Copied from *************.com (My Site)

RTR or Kit?

You have two choices to choose from, RTR and Kits. RTR is Ready To Run which means it will run out of the box if you have a battery and charger. For those people who don't want to do too much working on their cars or trucks, RTR is for them. RTR is about the same price, but has cheap parts. You also don't get as much thrill when you buy a RTR RC. The major fun is in driving it, but building it is also great fun! The other option is to purchase a kit and build it yourself. Its pretty easy if you follow the instructions that come in the box. When you purchase a kit, you will need to buy a ESC, Servo, Receiver, Transmitter, Battery, and a Charger. Or a receiver, transmitter, glow starter, nitro methane gas, a transmitter, and two servos. Now you can't really set standards on which parts are the best because all parts have different features. You will have to research the electronics yourself and see what fits your needs.

Nitro or Electric?

After you decide on whether you want to purchase a RTR or Kit, you will have to decide what type of RC you will buy. Now keep in mind that Nitro cars and trucks are made to go fast, and are loud. Nitro cars and trucks run on a special fuel called Nitro Methane. The plus to having a Nitro is you never have to charge a battery. You spend about 30 seconds refueling, and your off. Electric cars and trucks run on batteries. Electric cars are easier to maintain, and usually have cheaper replacement parts. Electric cars or trucks also have reverse, unlike most nitro cars and trucks. Nitro cars and trucks are mainly for experienced drivers who have driven electric models for a while. Electric cars and trucks often die down after about half the battery is gone. Now, The nitro engine is the heart and soul of any nitro r/c car or truck. If you get the engine tuned and set up right, it makes everything else a lot easier. With Nitro, your RC doesn't stop, until its out of gas. So you have a continual speed. Last but not least, Nitro cars reach higher speeds. A average electric RC reaches about 20MPH. A Nitro RC reaches about 50MPH. Remember that you should choose a RC that fits into your driving conditions, and neighborhood. You don't want to have neighbors coming after you!

Off-Road or On-Road

Now this shouldn't be too hard. Simply you need to think of where you are going to drive your car or truck. If you drive off-road, get an off-road vehicle. If you drive on-road, get an on-road vehicle. The off-road trucks allow you to race your vehicle anywhere and can handle the abuse of large jumps and uneven terrain, while the on road cars are built for the ultimate in speed and realism. Off-Road vehicles are nice because they can be on or off-road. You can always buy on-road tires, shocks, etc. I personally have four off-road vehicles, and 3 on-road.

Racing your RC

Now that you have your RC, You might want to race it. The first thing is are you racing on-road or off? Also do you already have a RC meant for this type of Racing? One thing you must keep in mind is quality. If you are racing, you need some nice parts. You don't have to have the best to win, but it helps a little. Don't forget, most tracks disallow reverse. Make sure what your track guidelines are before you buy your electronics. The main problem today is people spend a few thousand dollars on their RC, and they still lose. This is because of their driving skills and that old saying, "Practice". You also have to always remember to think if your car or truck fits the race tracks guidelines, NORCCA guidelines, and the ROAR guidelines (If your track uses them).

Hop-Ups

The second best thing about Remote Controlled Vehicles. The Hop-Ups. Hop-Ups come in all types, colors, durability, weight, etc. A Hop-Up is an aftermarket part bought for your RC to make it perform better, or just look better. With some hop-ups, you can have a nice looking car or truck. Hop-ups do cost a bit more that the stock part. The Traxxas Maxx vehicles are the main trucks that have the most aftermarket hop-ups. RPM, Hardcore Racing, and RRP are greatly known for aluminum and plastic hop-ups, mainly for the maxxes though. Check out the links and go to some of the sites that interest you, and you'll find some hop-ups.

Electronics

Like I said above, you will have to research this your self. But there are some standard tips. You have three choices for motors. Modified, Stock ,Brushless, or Spec. For Speed Controls you have two choices, a ESC, Controllers (ONLY use with Brushless motors) or a MSC. ESC's are greatly more efficient. ESC's come in forwards/brake, and forward/reverse. You need to keep in mind your motor too. Some ESC's have a motor limit. the controller is the brushless equivalent of a speed control. It has three wires that control the motor which is what sets it apart. Once you have decided what ESC to use, you need to pick a Receiver. All receivers are different, but there are three main types. 2-Channel, 3-Channel, and BEC. Since receivers are easy to pick, we will move on. Next you will need a servo. You should by a metal geared servo for off-road, and a plastic one for on. Next you need a Transmitter. Transmitters come in 2 types. Pistol Grip, and Two Thumb. Some even come with Digital LCD's. For bashing and off-road you don't need LCD transmitters. Last you need Batteries and a Charger. Batteries come from 1400mAH to 3300mAH. Chargers are simple, their are Peak Chargers and quick chargers. Peak Chargers charges them until they are done. Quick chargers are timed and sometimes do not fully charge a battery. Last, never drive your RC around water unless you properly waterproof it.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:14 AM
dan1220

THANK YOU FOR THAT
Old 06-15-2003, 01:18 AM
mtrchamp

Thanks for the ideas i'll send him a list and I'll go from there... any other ideas let me know
Old 06-15-2003, 01:19 AM
gmac4826

also, if you plan on racing no reverse but you knew that. if you get an electric car that has a motor with brushes reverse will cut the lifetime of teh motor in half. it does this becasue when the car goes backwards it wears teh brushes down in bothdirections insted of jus one. so if u get reverse have a brushless motor. unless of course u get nitro, then this doesnt matter. and if you get nitro be sure to buy a fail safe. it has saved me 100's of dollars and only cost 30 bucks. i got the dynamite race guard fail safe.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:20 AM
mtrchamp

so its better to get an esc with only foward or...?
Old 06-15-2003, 01:21 AM
gmac4826

unless you have a brushless motor you dont want reverse in an electric car.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:26 AM
mtrchamp

oh ok, them i'm retarted. I've been runing an LRP runner with reverse in my micro. What about off road? same? Only foward unless you have brushless...??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.