RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I could use some advice

Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 AM
MoneylessRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I could use some advice

I've been out of the R/C world for quite a while, but have been considering getting back into it much more casually. I may have a line on a Revo 3.3 for $200, ready to go, looks to be stock, bunch of spare parts; you know, the normal "it's worth it, I've got all this extra stuff!"

So, my question is: is this truck worth that, and should I spend that $200 elsewhere?

More background, it's pretty much going to be used in my yard. It's big enough for a MT to be used. I also have free access to 1/8 buggy track about 3-5 minutes from my house.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:09 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you plan to run on a 1/8 track, then do yourself a favor and get a used race grade... any of the following brands would be my personal top picks to consider if I was gonna buy a used buggy for myself today:

TEKNO, XRAY, MUGEN, AGAMA

That Revo will turn into a money pit, Traxxas is about the least durable brand I have ever owned
I would only consider Traxxas if you only plan to do speed runs and jump off some curbs, but once you take some respectable jumps on a 1/8 track, then Traxxas cars just aren't up to par with race grades.

TEKNO offers a lifetime 50% warranty for any parts you main into them, by far the least expensive brand I have ever maintained of the dozens of brands of cars I have owned over the years

Best of luck!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 AM
MoneylessRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Bill. I guess my main issue with that line of thought is the intro cost. It gets pretty spendy, and difficult to come up with that much for an initial investment. I also probably will do 90%+ of my driving in my own yard and at my brother's house, so I won't be as worried about 1/8 tracks as much, even though there is one nearby. Nobody seems to ever use that track, so I'm not sure how much I'll ever be down there. Also, I enjoy the tinkering aspect of RC as much as the rest of the hobby, so if I need to design and fab better parts, that's fine by me. I have a 3d printer and a watchmaker's lathe, so I'm fairly certain I won't be lacking the ability to fab any parts.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've gone down this path before, trust me I've spent far more money trying to upgrade cheap cars that had very low initial expense but required far too many upgrades such that when I added up all the expenses over time, I would've actually saved money if I simply bought a race grade in the first place which already includes all the upgrades... shrug

Either way you're gonna spend about the same amount of money, only question is if you want to slowly bleed your bank account on Traxxas, or spend a little more up front with a quality race grade which will stand the test of time.

Only exception I might make for Traxxas is if you have a LHS which supports your car, unfortunately for me the LHS in my area rarely had all the Traxxas parts I needed in stock. I often found it a lot faster to order my parts online and eventually, when I started going through my running costs to my Traxxas cars going, I soon realized how much money I would be saving by switching over to race grade.

I would check out RCTech and Facebook, lots of great deals on used race grade setups there
Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM
MoneylessRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Bill! I only have one LHS, they only carry traxxas (tiny game shop with models and and a few traxxas parts). I know I'll mostly be ordering parts no matter what I buy. I'll take a peek at rctech. Any specific groups on Facebook I might be able to check?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:22 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Too many groups on FB to list, but here's the first one that popped up (which I already belong to):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RCNATIONBST/
Old 05-24-2019, 03:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Losi builds some good models as well. If bashing is the majority of the models intended use and a monster truck is desirable, you cannot go wrong with the Losi LST platform. I favor the LST2 myself, but any of the LST series of trucks are pretty damn tough and are fairly easy to work on. They don’t need much for upgrades as they’re pretty stout out of the box.

The best part is, from a durability standpoint - an LST will clobber a Revo. The Revo May be faster, but it’s toughness is no comparison.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:00 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
I've gone down this path before, trust me I've spent far more money trying to upgrade cheap cars that had very low initial expense but required far too many upgrades such that when I added up all the expenses over time, I would've actually saved money if I simply bought a race grade in the first place which already includes all the upgrades... shrug

Either way you're gonna spend about the same amount of money, only question is if you want to slowly bleed your bank account on Traxxas, or spend a little more up front with a quality race grade which will stand the test of time.

Only exception I might make for Traxxas is if you have a LHS which supports your car....)
So true, yet most potential new customers can't/won't think about long term RC use. These days it's all about RTRs; getting that instant gratification at a rock bottom price; getting hooked, and wanting more from (at best, most of the time) mediocre RTR gear.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:58 AM
MoneylessRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
So true, yet most potential new customers can't/won't think about long term RC use. These days it's all about RTRs; getting that instant gratification at a rock bottom price; getting hooked, and wanting more from (at best, most of the time) mediocre RTR gear.
I wouldn't have a problem with kits. I build my own planes, and I'm not really afraid of anything along those lines. Just seems like $150-200 for a nitro kit that's RTR would be a great deal. LOL Especially considering they're claiming that it has a new engine, even if it is another 3.3.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:01 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like looking at build threads on forums. I find myself shaking my head at the ones that take a RTR platform; don't even run the RC; buy hundreds of dollars worth of hop ups, and try to transform a platform into something that it is not. The only thing that's stock is, maybe, the chassis. Some of those, "How do you y'all like my $1,000 all blinged out color coordinated; all aluminum/titanium ride (insert sub $300 RTR)... that runs on 8S?" threads are just over the top RC passionate builds.

Some like to tinker; some have endless supply of $$$; some have intentions of lite duty RCing, some like to take chances, and some like nostalgia. Everyone has to start somewhere. Lots of variables. Great to have the interwebs in the decision making process.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:45 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1 to Rusty's last comment!

Just to add to that, most RTR's are very limited to geometry and tuning options as well, you get so much more for your money with modern race grade designs to include making maintenance easier and longer wear life which will save you money in the long haul.

For about the same money, I would buy a USED race grade over any new RTR without any exception... I also try to avoid many race grade RTR's too simply because they are based on dated designs and strip many aluminum/carbon upgrades that you would otherwise get if you bought the kit.

#1 reason why I despise RTR's is because the electronics that come with them are typically junk that need to be replaced anyway.

RTR = Buy Twice
Kit = Buy Once