Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Mamba Max Monster ESC overheating problems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Mamba Max Monster ESC overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:26 PM
RobinGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mamba Max Monster ESC overheating problems

Hi all,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Robin and I'm into RC for about 10 years now. Started with a HPI nitro, moved on to electric and had a lot of Traxxas cars (Rustler VXL, Stampede VXL, E-Maxx Brushless Edition, E-Revo Brushless Edition and a Slash Nitro inbetween) but about 5 years ago I moved back to HPI, I traded my E-Revo Brushless Edition in for the Savage Flux HP. Those 5 years Savage-years have been great, but now I'm facing problems with my Mamba Max Monster ESC.

From the begin, I was running 6S LiPo (2x 3S) with the standard gearing (20/44). This thing is a beast and the times I broke stuff were when I was hitting something with 40+ MPH or just crashing when I hit full throttle at 40+ MPH as a result of backflips. The power is insane and I loved 6S LiPo. I was NEVER facing any temperature problems, my ESC and motor always stayed cool since I almost never had the ability to give full throttle, until last week...

I bought new LiPo's (Turnigy nano-tech 3S 80C 5000mAh) and two weeks ago I tested them out. All perfect and my Savage was running great and again, NO temperature problems and I even did about 15 minutes offroading. Last week I drove for the second time with my new LiPo's and I was surprised...I did some on-road speed runs (what I always did), half throttle most of the times and within 10 minutes the thermal shutdown of my ESC kicked in. Temped my ESC out at 86C/187F, the thermal shutdown is used to kick in at about 82C/180F. I really do not understand this. I changed NOTHING. I'm still running 6S, still running the same gearing (20/44) but now my ESC can't handle it anymore? And it wasn't even hot outside, about 20C/68F. Believe me, I've done so much crazier with this truck. On hot days (30C/86F) when going full throttle with on-road tires and even then my electronics stayed cool...is my MMM dying now? Name:  frown.gif
Views: 211
Size:  1.0 KB

And yes, the fan of my ESC still works. I don't understand this!!! Do you guys have an idea of what the cause of this can be?

Thanks!

All the best,
Robin