RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Been away a while - question on batteries

Old 09-30-2019, 03:46 AM
nucular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Been away a while - question on batteries

So I have been out of R/C for probably 15 years but my son (who is now 12) has an interest so I wanted to dig out a couple cars for him to try to see if he is really interested before I spend money on a new setup. When I got out of it, the electric cars all ran 6 cell NiMH batteries and brushless was just starting to get popular. The two vehicles I pulled out were a ready to run Traxxas Stampede with the brushed motor (I believe the version just before the RTR brushless came out) and an Associated RC10 buggy that has one of the early Novak brushless motors in it. The local hobby shop doesn't carry any NiMH batteries so I need to order some online. Can I use a 2 cell Lipo like the one linked below without having to make any modifications or should I just stick with NiMH? I assume I would need a different charger as the one I have is an old Duratrax Piranha charger meant for NiCd and NiMH batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-5000m...dDbGljaz10cnVl

As a side note, the landscape is pretty different after only 10-15 years. I bought one of the only 2 bottles of nitro the hobby shop had in stock for one of my other vehicles. Seems like electric has taken over.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, that ^^^ battery will work as long as your RC's battery trays/straps allow correct exiting for the battery's wires. Yes, you would need appropriate charger to charge LiPo batteries.

Also, you will need to make sure your ESCs have sort of LVC (low voltage cutoff) LiPo setting to make sure the cells don't discharge too far. There are LiPo alarms that you could use if your ESCs don't have a LiPo setting.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:29 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is nothing wrong with hunting down some NiMH packs to get your RCs up and running. In your situation it could be a better option in the fact you would not have to go out and buy another charger.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:38 AM
nucular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
There is nothing wrong with hunting down some NiMH packs to get your RCs up and running. In your situation it could be a better option in the fact you would not have to go out and buy another charger.
Thanks, I think I will just do this. If he enjoys it, I will pick up a more modern car for him.