Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Return to the RC Car Scene!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM
01s0uljah

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Return to the RC Car Scene!

Hey Guys!

It's been a hot minute (https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=hot%20minute) since I've been around here. Life kicked in and went to school, got a job.. I left the RC community in search of growing up but I've returned itching to build something.

When I left the RC community, the local RC shops around me (Toronto, Canada) were closing down as no one seemed to be interested in RC. I drove by my upcoming new home and found a couple of dudes in the mid 40s playing with RC cars and sparked my interest.

My last builds were HPI Savage XL and HPI Baja 5B SS and had so much fun with them. Whats new on the market now and how have things changed? Also, looking for a recommendation on a next build to get me back in!
Old 10-21-2019, 04:50 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome back!

HPI went bankrupt around 2016, they were chopped up and sold off to where HPI and Hot Bodies are nothing like they once were.

Hobbico also went bankrupt shortly after with Team Durango and dozens of other small brands going away as well... Hobbico was chopped up and most of their car market was sold to Horizon, namely ARRMA.

HongNor retired which left OFNA without a major brand to distribute after HoBao decided to take on their own distribution in North America so OFNA went out of business. Some of the HongNor cars have been brought back under RedCat, but not in kit form, you can still get 80% kits from HoBao.

Caster Racing, TeamC and InTech have bounced around between several distributors but they both seem to have disappeared from the North American market as of late.

As far as kits with decent parts support goes I would consider the following brands:
PR Racing
TEKNO
Team Associated
Team Losi
Schumacher
XRay

AMain has a really good selection of respectable kits to browse

Best of luck!
Old 10-25-2019, 01:48 PM
01s0uljah

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
Welcome back!

HPI went bankrupt around 2016, they were chopped up and sold off to where HPI and Hot Bodies are nothing like they once were.

Hobbico also went bankrupt shortly after with Team Durango and dozens of other small brands going away as well... Hobbico was chopped up and most of their car market was sold to Horizon, namely ARRMA.

HongNor retired which left OFNA without a major brand to distribute after HoBao decided to take on their own distribution in North America so OFNA went out of business. Some of the HongNor cars have been brought back under RedCat, but not in kit form, you can still get 80% kits from HoBao.

Caster Racing, TeamC and InTech have bounced around between several distributors but they both seem to have disappeared from the North American market as of late.

As far as kits with decent parts support goes I would consider the following brands:
PR Racing
TEKNO
Team Associated
Team Losi
Schumacher
XRay

AMain has a really good selection of respectable kits to browse

Best of luck!
Wow things have really changed since I've left the scene. I did get into drones in the past couple of years that fixed my RC Itch out of the way. I'm surprised no new RC car development has come a out. I would love to see some sort of remote screen oror capabilities to spark up the RC car scene .
Old 10-25-2019, 04:06 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by 01s0uljah View Post
I'm surprised no new RC car development has come a out.
RC technology has made HUGE leaps and bounds over the past 5 years across the board with all the following as just a few things that come to mind just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other sweet things:
  • Antenna-less Receivers
  • Telemetry
  • HV Receivers
  • Insanely fast response rates
  • Tons of new ergos such as adjustable trigger position, and infinite steering wheel positions
  • LiHV technology
  • Super advanced charger features with integrated hi drain discharge cycling to boost IR
  • Several new brands of tire manufactures have entered the market
  • ESC's are now integrated with radios so you can program the ESC from the radio without a program card
  • modern geometry of buggies has drastically improved performance with way too many features to list
  • maintenance has been drastically reduced across most brands where a complete rebuild takes less than an hour on average
  • Ceramic bearings have been refined to go faster too
  • 540 Motors have switched over to short stacks where a 13.5T motor today is comparable to a 10.5T motor from 5 years ago

The list can go on and on...
Old 10-29-2019, 02:09 PM
01s0uljah

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! Thanks for pointing all of those out. Can you recommend a electric offroad truck? I was looking at the HPI Vorza or Traxxas Revo 2.0. I do prefer a kit as I like the process of building it.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:29 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HPI and Traxxas have been left behind in terms of offering very dated designs.

Hands down the best quality monster truck you can get in kit form today is the TEKNO MT410, it's a beast which is based on a 1/8 buggy chassis with 1/8 truggy arms!

Old 10-31-2019, 05:30 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by 01s0uljah View Post
Wow! Thanks for pointing all of those out. Can you recommend a electric offroad truck? I was looking at the HPI Vorza or Traxxas Revo 2.0. I do prefer a kit as I like the process of building it.
Stick to your guns, and look at a kit to build. Usually, on a good online hobby store, there will be a breakdown of features for you to click on to help in the search of what you are after. Select the scale, category, completeness (assembled/unassembled) of what you are after. The electric 1/10 scale 4wd truck kit selection is slim. Throw in the term "monster truck", and the selection is even slimmer ....https://www.amainhobbies.com/unassem...=17_28&lg=fk17

Value and durability can be looked at in different ways.

I do prefer kits myself...the "racing" breeds. After recently selling my 1/8 scale buggy, I began looking for something to hold me over...something on the cheaper side. For whatever reason I looked toward the RTR platforms. Arrma came to mind. I began researching the crap outta the 6S and 3S lineup. One platform had known issues of rear axle letting dirt into hub bearings. A person would have to jump through hoops to find parts from a discontinued Team Durango buggy to rectify the issue. I quickly threw out the idea of that platform because I run in very dusty conditions a lot of times. If it wasn't for the internet, I know I would have found out the hard way.

I began looking at the 3S BLX Typhon to possibly get my 1/8 scale buggy "fix". Well, after reading so many threads, and posts about people quickly upgrading key parts on the buggy, I began adding up what it would take for me to purchase in order to have an acceptable buggy that I could be happy with. Radio is pure garbage. Shocks...everyone was putting some economy Trackstar shocks on their buggy, then found out they needed new springs to be compatible with the lightweight buggy. Motor mount...LOL...non adjustable. I get it. You gotta cut costs somewhere to keep the price lower. Thankfully, an upgrade is made. Stones getting trapped in the chassis, and grinding the plastic driveshaft ....one of my biggests fears that I can see me dealing with if I got the 3S buggy and ran it on my track.