Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why can't RC Car Forum Members Spell?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why can't RC Car Forum Members Spell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why can't RC Car Forum Members Spell?

I may not be the best speller in the world and most of my spelling mistakes are due to typos. However, the rc car forum here seems to be the worst forum when it comes to spelling and grammar mistakes.

Is alternative spelling something they are teaching our youngsters in school today? Just curious because I there seems to be a lot of it here.

HB

The following quote was actually taken from a RC car user posting in another forum/website. The guy can't even spell retard correctly:

"Hey guys this is the pipe set that he order me http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFWE9&P=7
he is such an retart, Im guessing this will not work then, thanks for the info.
Ernie"
Old 12-20-2003, 12:24 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Why can't RC Car Forum Members Spell?

The real problem is they don't care

If you're logging in to any forum you have email. Every email program has "spell check"
Fixes even my bad spelling.

I think the youth today just doesn't care if they look stupid, sad really
Old 12-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spell badly because i was never really taught to, sometimes i remember the spell checker, but most of the time im trying to get my point across as quick as poss and then my fingers lag behind the brain. as for the blatent bad spelling in this section.... it's bad.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:13 PM
neap38

do u reckon its the same Ernie from sesame street?[X(]
Old 12-20-2003, 03:18 PM
neap38

most people wouldn't think of sending a couple of messages on a hobby site a spelling test and wouldn't care about there spelling mistakes
Old 12-20-2003, 03:39 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Homebrewer

I may not be the best speller in the world and most of my spelling mistakes are due to typos. However, the rc car forum here seems to be the worst forum when it comes to spelling and grammar mistakes.

Is alternative spelling something they are teaching our youngsters in school today? Just curious because I there seems to be a lot of it here.

HB

The following quote was actually taken from a RC car user posting in another forum/website. The guy can't even spell retard correctly:

"Hey guys this is the pipe set that he order me http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFWE9&P=7
he is such an retart, Im guessing this will not work then, thanks for the info.
Ernie"
let me see what I can come up with that is the most lamest thing everer!! My horribly purposed misspelling and not right grammer, or the fact that you are crying like a baby about something you shouldn't be worrying about. Get over it, If you don't like what you see, you can block the people or..

[X(]*GASP*[X(]

IGNORE IT!
Old 12-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Cactus.

lol i've even had PM's saying i should quit the forum over my spelling.. how insane is that?!!
Old 12-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Nitroaddict

I think what it boils down to, is not lack of spelling ability, but lack of proof reading. If everyone would just take their time, and read what they just typed prior to posting it on the site, 90% of the spelling error's would disappear. So what does everyone say? The car forum has become the laughing stock of RCU, mostly due to such hideous grammer and spelling. Let's all read our posts prior to hitting the submit button, and make sure that they actually make sense?
Old 12-20-2003, 06:54 PM
caseyddr

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict

I think what it boils down to, is not lack of spelling ability, but lack of proof reading. If everyone would just take their time, and read what they just typed prior to posting it on the site, 90% of the spelling error's would disappear. So what does everyone say? The car forum has become the laughing stock of RCU, mostly due to such hideous grammer and spelling. Let's all read our posts prior to hitting the submit button, and make sure that they actually make sense?
NOBODY thinks the car forums are the laughing stock of RCU :P From what I heard, its the new section anyways (here). It's jus that this car section isn't as developed with knowledgeable users such as say hobbytalk or rcracing. (not to promote their sites) Some of us know more than most, while most of the ppl here know very little. You gotta give a site time to grow, and it takes more than jus a year. Thats jus MY 'openion'. hehe
Old 12-20-2003, 11:15 PM
rodrigo1508

Some of us are from other countries that does not speak english as a first language
Old 12-21-2003, 05:21 AM
studysession

What "P@$$" me off is those who try to sound cool - so they spell where you can not read what the bloody hell they typed. AAUUUGGHHH
Old 12-21-2003, 06:15 AM
Cactus.

NOBODY thinks the car forums are the laughing stock of RCU
i do
It's jus that this car section isn't as developed with knowledgeable users
it's not that theres lots of newbies in here, just lots of kids with lots of money and no idea of the written word, spell how you talk is the rule
Old 12-21-2003, 11:47 AM
caseyddr

philly, don't you post more on rcracing or hobbytalk or something? Your name seems so familiar but i dont know where I've talked to you from.... It mighta been from the Old RCU when I first came around... not sure...
Old 12-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Cactus.

i found rcxotic a while ago when looking for more Xray info than you find here, i also use RCgroups, but i've been here since the old days, almost the full two years but mainly in the planes. i don't normally need car advice and stay clear of these all mouth no knowledge bad spelling un-understandable morons.
i use the same name and logo in all the forums i use. That way anyone that knows me knows me lol and one post in another forum is just as valid as my, gezz, 4300+ here
Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Nitroaddict

casey - referring to my comment about the laughing stock of RCU. That comment was made regarding what the other sections of RCU think of the car forums, not what other sites think of us.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:47 PM
soccerismylife

I think the reason that some people spell so terribly is because that is just how they type. I bet that most of the people that spell badly are teenagers. (Like me, but I don't spell badly.[&:]) If you go to AOL Instant messenger or get an E-mail from your junior high friends, it is sometimes three times worse then the stuff you see here. I think the main reason is that teenagers or anyone else who doesn't type often find it easier to shorten words becausde it is less characters to type. That way it is faster for them. (u instead of you or cuz inseatd of because.) I do agree that the people that do this on purpose are stupid. But the magority of people that have a few mistakes are just because of innocent type-o's. Don't worry about the schools slacking off, I'm learning English just fine. It's just because of those people that most of the time know how to type, but just don't for whatever reason. But, the bottom line of this all is WHO CARES!
Old 12-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Nitroaddict

Who cares? I care. I have no interest in answering a question when it is written so poorly, that I have to sit and concentrate, and guess what the member is saying. This isn't a chat room. You arn't going to receive an answer in 2 seconds. It will usually take hours, sometimes days to receive a response. There is no need to hurry when typing the question. I dont expect the younger crowd to have perfect spelling or grammer. Shoot, I am also a culprit of not adding proper punctuation. I do, however, expect the post to have legible qualities.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:58 PM
studysession

I thought this was based on those who on purposely type the wrong spellings to try and sound cool or what ever the reason.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:32 PM
LandoAWD

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict

Who cares? I care. I have no interest in answering a question when it is written so poorly, that I have to sit and concentrate, and guess what the member is saying. This isn't a chat room. You arn't going to receive an answer in 2 seconds. It will usually take hours, sometimes days to receive a response. There is no need to hurry when typing the question. I dont expect the younger crowd to have perfect spelling or grammer. Shoot, I am also a culprit of not adding proper punctuation. I do, however, expect the post to have legible qualities.
I have run into similar issued being a moderator on a car enthusiast's forum. It seems to be limited to the younger generation of PC users who live the IM lifestyle. I am only 24, but I can safely say that if I spoke, typed, or otherwise conveyed thought and information in a fashion similar to how these kids talk, I wouldn't have a good job, nor have any sort of post K-12 education. People claim they "don't care" or "it's just the internet", but I won't answer tech questions on our car forum if the poster types like a chimpanzee on meth. We have gone as far as to create a rule under the site guidelines so that the moderating team (myself included) will have a leg to stand on when making a point on this issue. For some, it has helped greatly. For others, they have chosen to go to other sites where their stupidity will be overlooked. ANYONE whos first language is English (especially some of you UK guys...you DO still speak English, riiight?) should take the time to not make themselves look like a 5 year old that turned on mommy's PC, and you may have your questions answered in an equally intelligent manner.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:34 PM
soccerismylife

Nitroaddict-
What I meant is that I think that people are making too big of a deal about this. I am totally with you, those people that do this on purpose or whatever the reason I hate having to read their posts because it takes you 1 hour to decode their sentence. I also agree with you that this isn't a chat room and the message doesn't have to be conveyed that quickly. I was just saying that was one reason or excuse that people have. I am against people that do this, I was just trying to give some insight so you guys could know why people do it.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:39 PM
Nitroaddict

i am not making a big deal of it, just conveying something that irks me. I feel that if everyone just slowed down a bit, the posts would be much more legible. Want to see what this forum should look like? Go visit RCU's airplane forums for a while. For the most part, you will see legible, quality posts that are well written and properly structured.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've visited the airplane forums as well as other forums and boards--I've also read posts by those who refuse to visit the car forums because of the petty arguing and other on goings in the car forums. It's really a shame in my opinion. I also understand that there are different levels of education and members from other nations that post in the car forums, but I would "like" to believe the same cross-culture is happening in other forums as well in order to promote RC. If such an assumption is true, why does there seem to be more of a problem in the car section?

Anyone ever hear the joke, "What do you call someone that only knows one language? An American." Quite frankly, I'm not too impressed with the public education system in the USA, especially when I consider it mostly a waste of taxpayer money when I read some of the posts on the message boards. To me, it also appears that public education is "dumbing" each generation as time passes. I don't expect most of you to agree with me, but I suggest that you compare some of the 1950's science books with today's text books. I won't even go into grade inflation. Then there are those who either cannot or will not read the instructions that are supplied with their RC equipment. Again, is it an education problem or an individual problem?

For those who simply "refuse" to practice "writing" skills because they are simply too lazy to type a complete word or sentence, I tend to ignore those posts. For those who are also too lazy to review a recent post on the same subject matter and start a new thread, I also tend to ignore those posts unless I simply provide a link to another thread. I also admit that I don't use the spell check about 99% of time. Why? Because I don't want to take the time to check my messages when the Spell Check doesn't correct the misspelling anyway. I haven't spell checked this post and I'm sure most of the members can probably read it. Consequently, in case some people missed the key word in the last paragraph, it was "lazy". Dictionary anyone?
Old 12-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tigger, I agree with you 100%. Today, books are coming out in new version almost every year. If you look at mathematics and language/grammar/writing books from the 50's... you will see that everything they learned then will work just fine now too.. But noo, they have to keep using out tax money to update the books.
I did get 2 years of the highest quality grammar and writing education in middle school from the best teacher.. Some people just don't learn this stuff.
Also, you guys have to remember that most kids that start out in R/C get a surface vehicle - because they tend to be cheaper than airplanes, and easier to operate. As a result, there are a lot more younger kids (10 to 13ish) WHO TYPE LIEK THIS1!1!1 OMG I DONT KNOW HOW 2 TYP3 LIEK THIS BUT I FOUND THIS LINK OMG!! LOL!!
http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files...ranslator.html

Seriously folks... try to type nicely, it's easier for everybody else to read.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Nitrofreak_105

Anyone ever hear the joke, "What do you call someone that only knows one language? An American." Quite frankly, I'm not too impressed with the public education system in the USA, especially when I consider it mostly a waste of taxpayer money when I read some of the posts on the message boards. To me, it also appears that public education is "dumbing" each generation as time passes. I don't expect most of you to agree with me, but I suggest that you compare some of the 1950's science books with today's text books. I won't even go into grade inflation. Then there are those who either cannot or will not read the instructions that are supplied with their RC equipment. Again, is it an education problem or an individual problem?
That is why i like Canada
Old 12-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

I have come to the conclusion that if they can't ask an intelligent question with proper spelling I won't answer them. I can't put all the blame on public education though, most of it resides with the PARENTS! My 7 yr old daughter can compose better sentences than most of the kids on this board. I look at the bright side though, most of these guys will be qualified to stand behind the counter at the LHS making $7.00/hr when they grow up!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.