Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I'm New

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Monster_Truck_Gurl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm New

Yeah, that's right, I'm new. I'm looking for my first RC car, and am having alot of trouble because of the wide selection and different choices. Can anyone help me? Basically, I'm lookin for either an electric or gas one, haven't decided, but which brand is a good brand? I know alot of people prefer Associated or Traxxas, but what about all the others? I want one that is not RTR. I want to be able to know my RC from top to bottom, so I prefer to build it up on my own. Can anyone help me?

~*~ Emily ~*~
Old 12-29-2003, 04:59 PM
studysession

Default RE: I'm New

You want on road or off road? I dont think Traxxas makes kits. i think everything they have is a RTR.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Monster_Truck_Gurl

On road. Car.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:16 PM
studysession

I have both an electric and a nitro TC3 - the elctric was a Team Factory kit and the nitro was a RTR. Both are very nice. I prefer the electric though. Much less trouble to deal with. I just bring a bag of batteries that are already charged with me and keep going.

For off road I prefer nitro. The electric run times are shorter going through tall grass and rough terain.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Monster_Truck_Gurl

What are the main kinds of trouble you can run into with the nitro cars?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:35 PM
studysession

Not ran into a lot of trouble really. I love the sound and smell from the nitro engine. Both are fun.

The nitro I added a 2spd and decided that was not fast enoguh then regeared it. It was way to fast after that. The gearing was setup for fastest acceleration in first gear and absolute highes top end speed in 2nd. After I did it, I was to fast and hard to control. Need to find a happy medium but I love the power.

With the electric I am running a brushless motor, just installed last week. No maintence with that motor. It is quiet so does not bother neighbors. I can charge 10 or more batterie packs, throw then in a bag and go. No extra work at all. It is very fast as well. I just ordered a venom speed meter for it so I can do some speed tests on my electric.

It is all a preference thing.

For off road I have a all nitro:
Hyper 7 PBS
OFNA 9.5
TMaxx 2.5

Each time you take them out, have to do some kind of tuning adjustments, carry a tool box and tuning tools in it. Carry fuel, glow ignitor etc etc.... I dont mind carrying it all or doing all the extra thats involved. I love watching them go and love the sound and so on. To me it is worth it. But out on the street with a touring car, I mostly just want speed. The worlds fastest car is electric.
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...476470,00.html

I was impressed, so that is when I switched for onroad to electric. I will be selling my nitro TC3 soon. If you use good quality batteries you get long run times and good performance. Right now I run Epic 3000 NiMH sport packs. They are only $18 ea. for bashing they are great. But when I have the money I will be buying better batteries for racing. A lot of people on this board go for either Losi or Associates for brands of electric touring cars. For nitro, a lot of people go for either Associates or HPI. There are many other brands but those seem to be most popular.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:22 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

nitro you dont have alot of problems.....its just a lot of work to keep them tuned and going and it takes a while to get it where you want it.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:16 AM
neap38

lol are you serious? joker
ORIGINAL: HPIRS4-3SS

nitro you dont have alot of problems.....its just a lot of work to keep them tuned and going and it takes a while to get it where you want it.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitros ROCK! The sound, the smell, and the instant and constant power. They are FUN! Sure, there is a small price to pay with the maintenance, but you can always get a rear exhaust tuned pipe kit (MIP 360 Stinger kit) and keep the exhaust off your car. They are fast, they function very much like a real car - fuel burning, clutch, transmission (1-3 speeds), disk brake(s), smoke, etc. And with today's engines... they are VERY easy to tune. Plus, if you seal your radio gear, you can run them in the rain no sweat. With electrics that's a no-no. So get yourself a nitro car, you won't regret it. [8D]

Companies to look at for beginners/intermediate nitro car KITS: HPI (Nitro RS4 3 SS, R40, Super Nitro), Associated (Nitro TC3), and maybe Traxxas (I think they do make the 4-Tec in kit form).
Old 12-30-2003, 08:59 AM
studysession

I would stay away from the 4-Tec. Stock with HPI or Associates.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:14 PM
neap38

if its your 1st rc car then i deffently wouldnt get a nitro car get a electric kit that doesnt cost to much cash and go up stage by stage. Other wise ure nitro car wont last a minute
Old 12-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Unstable

Electric.
advantages: No mess, no fuel. Easy upkeep. smaller learning curve. quiet (good for not annoying neighbors.)
Disadvantages: runtimes, charge times, less power.

glow (gas, nitro)
advantages: power, speed, no charge time, longer runtimes.
disavatges: messy (by comparison) fuel cost. higher learning curve, noise.

if you have No prior RC expirience I would go with electric for the simple reason that you are going to be dealing with servos and recievers and batteries and such. this just eliminates the learning of tuning the engine to free up your mind a bit.. this will get you more run time and less "what the heck is it doing now" time.

chosing a kit is a good way to go as when you build the car you will learn every part and its function, this will make you alot better then a good chunk of the "ready to run crowd"

if you pick up something like a HPI RS4 kit or a losi XXX-4 graphite you wont be disapointed.

then for a next car you can grab a nitro kit or you might find you want to stay with electric.

if you have a hobbie shop in the area talk with them.. find out what they carry parts for and if there is any local racers that can help you get started.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Monster_Truck_Gurl

Wow, you all are really helpin me out, thanks! OKay, so I'm probably going to go for an electric kit, I was lookin at a HPI kit, or Team Associated. What about modifications? Which of the two are easier (and possibly less costly) to upgrade on?
Old 12-30-2003, 01:31 PM
studysession

For electric, I would go Losi or Assoc - Unless you wait for the new one the HPI is coming out with. That looks nice.

TC3 from Associates is what I have. A very nice car. Easy to work on and a lot of after market support.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWL81&P=7

That is a link to the one I have. Does not include electronics or radio or motor when you get a kit.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:04 PM
weezergeekband

i would go with hpi for onroad cause ive had a couple of their cars and they are just pure quality , but ive never had an associated so i cant compare
Old 12-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Monster_Truck_Gurl

Okay, So HPI or Associated for electric, sweet. How about with upgrades? I mean, what are good things to go ahead and stock up on before I hit the track? As in, batterys, brands, motors, whatever.

~*~ Emily ~*~
Old 01-01-2004, 05:03 AM
studysession

For the car itself I would not put to much into hop-ups until you get used to the car first.

Now batteries do make a difference in performance. You have decide how much are you willing to spend.

The best batteries are these, but you have to assemble them yourself:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXERB3&P=7

But until you can aford those - I use these Epic Sport packs:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXERB5&P=0

The Epic sport pack is a happy medium until you can aford the better ones. I am saving for the GP 3300 myself. As for motor it depends on if you are worried about being legal and how much are you willing to spend. Brushed motors are what's legal for racing but they require a lot of work. So I run brushless, which is NOT legal for racing. I just go to have fun. I race but they won't let me get points to win any trphies or anything because I do not have a legal racing motor. It also depends for what class you want to run.

Stock classes are 19 turn and 27 turn motors.

I do own a 19t motor myself but do not run with it:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBPD0&P=7
Here is my speed control that I use:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUM1&P=7

But as I said before I run with a brushless setup that is NOT legal for racing. I stopped using the brushed motor because all the extra maintance that goes with it - I just ordered the Novak Brushless Super Sport:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDDD7&P=0

I also have another brushless motor and ESC. But the Novak is best for what you are doing.

Hope all this helps.

Cheers.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:24 PM
weezergeekband

How fast are brushless? my buddy said its only like 15t x2 and not worth the money. What do u think of it?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-01-2004, 05:06 PM
studysession

ORIGINAL: weezergeekband

How fast are brushless? my buddy said its only like 15t x2 and not worth the money. What do u think of it?[sm=confused.gif]
Personally - I think that is funny that he even said it. I will leave that for someone else to answer. I will say he is wrong with his answer though.

Use the search and do a search on brushless motors for RC cars. Also do searches on google.com and see what you get. You will be amazed.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Unstable

ORIGINAL: studysession

ORIGINAL: weezergeekband

Personally - I think that is funny that he even said it. I will leave that for someone else to answer. I will say he is wrong with his answer though.

Use the search and do a search on brushless motors for RC cars. Also do searches on google.com and see what you get. You will be amazed.

ok, I'll bite.

lets put it this way. pre brushless electric airplanes were slow ungainly things that barley could hold themselves in the air.

now... well

Thats "billy Hell" *hovering* an electric.

you get a ton more power, and alot more runtime with brushless then brushed can even hope for, but it costs a fortune.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:11 AM
studysession

I love the loads of low end torque that you get from a brushless motor.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Monster_Truck_Gurl

OKay, I went to a few Hobby Shops around my area (and one kinda out there), and I have changed my mind ALOT. So far, I am looking at the Schumacher Nitro Fusion. Costly, yes, but quality (from what I have discussed with the shop owners and other people in the shop). So advice on Nitro cars would be WONDERFUL! Thanks!!

~*~ Emily ~*~
Old 01-03-2004, 03:40 AM
studysession

Yeah - nitro is cool. The Schumacher's are nice. You will be happy. I have not owned one, but anyone I know that has them are happy with it.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Monster_Truck_Gurl

cool cool. i don't know anyone around me who is even into RC, except my dad. Anyone know how the Nitro Fusion handles? I've heard it handles bad, then i heard it handles well, and i'm a bit confused. Any help? Also, fuels? I read about a ton of different fuels, which ones are the best?
Old 01-03-2004, 04:53 PM
studysession

I cant comment on the car myself. People around here, seem to like it. I have a nitro TC3 myself. As for fuels, when I was back in america the Blue Thunder was most popular, run nothing less than 20 - 25% nitro. Some people will talk you into doing the 10%, it is not worth the time - I used to run 10% but after I ran the other - there is no comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.