Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Gasoline engines compared to Nitro?

Old 01-24-2004, 11:27 AM
dirtyp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline engines compared to Nitro?

Where can I find some good reading and information that compares the two? I know and understand nitro, just need to get a better understanding of gasoline engines. I am speaking in terms of maintenance, starting, fuel used, pluses and minuses.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:13 PM
wakbrdr

Default RE: Gasoline engines compared to Nitro?

a good site i use is Howstuffworks.com just search for 2-stroke or 4-stroke engines.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:58 PM
nitroguy123
My Feedback: (3)

I think he might be talking about 2 stroke gas and 2 stroke nitro. I dont know everything about engines but i think they are basically the same just some minor differences to run less refined fuel in them.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Billyman
My Feedback: (1)

A nitro engine works very much like a diesel engine. They both use a pre-warmer (glow plug) to ignite the fuel initially to get it started. They both are almost impossible to start without a pre-heating element. Once they have been started, the high compression (resulting in a very, very tight quench of the fuel and air) causes heat. The molecules run ramped and start bumping and grinding into one another as they are quenched more and more (as the piston approaches top dead center). The fuel/air combo reaches an exploding point and the heat that was generated is also transferred to the heating element (glow plug). BANG, cylinder “fires†sending the piston down. This happens in such rapid succession over and over the heating element never has a chance to cool resulting in a constant running engine without electronics. As the engine runs and heats up, it becomes more efficient (it’s easier to ignite fuel in a hot cylinder as oppose to a cold one). The fuel is actually designed for this high compression fuel/air quenching. Diesel fuel as well as Nitro fuel is very hard to ignite and burns at a very slow rate.

The gasoline 2 stroke engine utilizes electronics in order to run. It uses a spark plug to ignite the fuel. It has an electrical coil and a “flying†magnet triggering system to fire the plug in a determined point (timing). This is called a magneto. A magnet or magnet(s) or impregnated (imbedded) into a flywheel. As the magnets pass the coil, it “charges†it, and at a specified point, discharges it though the spark plug. Gasoline burns much faster than that of diesel or Nitro fuel and can’t be quenched as much (thus lower compression). And because of the nature of the fuel (gas) it must be fired by a spark plug as oppose to depending on the quench for igniting. The gas is mixed with petroleum oil for lubrication purposes just like the oil in Nitro. The percentage of oil to gas is predetermined by the engine manufacturer.

Diesels don’t use a fuel mix because they have oil pumps that lubricate the system where as 2 stoke Nitro engines and 2 stroke gas engines do not. Not to mention diesels are mostly 4 strokes and even the diesel 2 stroke utilizes valve train. They just use the same process to ignite the fuel.

The only disadvantage to using a 2 stroke gas is the added weight. Typically, a two stroke gas engine will weigh roughly two more pounds than that of a Nitro engine of the same power.

The advantage of the gas engine is easier tuning, they are more dependable, a lot less headache and the fuel is much, much cheaper.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 PM
dirtyp

NitroGuy,
Yes, I was talking about "2 stroke gas and 2 stroke nitro".

Billyman,
Awesome, your explaination was dead on. Thanks for the time, it has helped me out greatly. One other question... I would assume that this engine would need to be broken-in as well??

Now the real question is who has both types of cars and which one do you prefer. The reason I am asking is because I saw this car made by Compagnucci for $539 RTR. It is of course gasoline powered. I like to buy items that are different, not the run of the mill Traxxas, etc. When I saw this I became intrigued, plus the fuel issue seemed to make sense.

But my real concerns are with the maintenace coupled with parts availablity. It seems like this car is made in Italy and I have only found one vendor that sells it online in the US. So if these cars are reliable, I will take a gamble and give it a shot, but if they are a b!tch to maintain and such, I will not.

Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Billyman

Not knowing anything about them (or even heard of them), I went and checked out their site. The good thing is, it appears new enough and looks well maintained. Their parts listings are extensive. I pretty much viewed everything from “FAQ’s†to “Warranty†to “Trade-in department†etc, etc, etc.

If you have any concerns about the company or availability of parts, contact them, whether it be by phone or email.

I can also assure that the gas engine will be a lot less headache. Some to most nitro engines are hard to restart after running them for a period of time and out of fuel. That’s not always the case but happens more often than not. One that is tweaked and tuned to perfection rarely gives trouble in this instance. Others have to wait until the engine cools a bit. The gas engine isn’t as susceptible to this condition. With a properly tuned gas engine (to keep performance up and the heat down), you can enjoy literally hours of run time.

Although gas prices aren’t exactly “cheap†these days, it’s still a helluvalot cheaper than nitro fuel. You won’t have to replace the spark plug every “so many tanks†of fuel as you do with glow plugs in a nitro. The spark plugs may be more expensive than glow plugs but the life span alone outweighs the added cost per plug. It’ll be a new learning curve on diagnosing problems such as “why won’t it fireâ€. But even that is simple enough, it’s either the coil crapped out or the plug. Spares anyone?

I have a 15 year old weed wacker that still runs the original coil and probably have been through 4 or 5 spark plugs.

There is a break-in procedure but it’s so short, it’s almost non-existent.

In fact, I myself am interested in the gas powered Compagnucci. It looks a little “toyish†but some fresh paint and new rims would fix that.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention dirtyp.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:38 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

ORIGINAL: Billyman

They both use a pre-warmer (glow plug) to ignite the fuel initially to get it started. They both are almost impossible to start without a pre-heating element.

Thats not entirely true. Most small sized diesels use glow plugs just to make an easier starting and even then it doesn't glow all the time. Most big diesels don't have any glow plugs. They have so much compression that after a few turns of the motor, it starts.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Billyman

Well sir, ahm, no. But kinda.

There aren't many diesel engines made today or yesterday or last year that doesn’t have some sort of heat grid to pre-heat the cylinder or intake charge. The diesels of yesterday even needed help despite their lack of electronics. Way back when (so to speak) Ether was sold by the barrels and often mixed with diesel fuel. 1) for power 2) for starting. The compression it would take to ignite diesel fuel alone would result in head gaskets only alien technology could produce not to mention the piston itself.

It is true however that diesels can be started without pre-warmers but are in need of an added catalyst such as starting fluid (Ether).

Define “big dieselsâ€.

Fords (actually International) PowerStrokes uses glow plugs, Chevy’s (actually Isuzu) DuraMax uses glow plugs, Dodges (actually Cummins) uses glow plugs as well as a heated heat grid in the intake.

Now for 18 wheelers, Cummins, Detroit, Freightliner, Peterbuilt, etc, all use cylinder pre-warmers.

The glow plugs in each does stay hot enough to aid in igniting the fuel during running but it is true that it isn’t needed after the cylinder is at operating temperature.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:08 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

By big diesels I mean tractors and different types of construction equiptment. I think you misunderstood what I was saying....I was talking about just glow plugs, not other heating methods so when I said diesels can start without glow plugs, I was just talking about glow plugs. BTW, I got that information from my dad who worked around diesels a lot so I'd think he knows what he is talking about...
Old 01-24-2004, 09:12 PM
dirtyp

You're welcome billyman.

When I found this today, I had never seen one before. I have read that they are more common at the larger scale, but at 1/8 scale I have never seen one. The engine even looks pretty neat.

You have got me rolling on this one. I think I am going to give one a shot and see what happens. Let me know if you find one cheaper than what I have sent to you over PM.

I am kind of undecided because I am interested in one of the GS Storm Buggies as well.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:15 AM
solman989

Wow I didnt even know they made a gasoline RC engine. I would've tried this out before taking the plunge into nitros! Cheap *** fuel plus no worries about storing it in a bank vault to keep away from moisture. Just wondering, why RC manufacturers go gas instead of nitro? Gas just seems much more natural.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:29 AM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

R/C cars that run on gasoline are big 1/5 and 1/4 scale. The engines put put about the same displacment as a weed wacker. It costs a lot of money plus if you crash, the parts cost way more. They cannot make a 1/10 or a 1/8 scale gas because the engines are too small to run on gasoline. The magneto would be too small to produce enough power to spark the sparkplug. Also Its practically impossible to fit a standard size 1/5 scale gas engine in a 1/10 or 1/8.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:53 AM
dirtyp

CaNaDiAnRaCeR,

From your post it seems you might have missed something earlier, if so follow this link

[link]http://www.mecoa.com/compagnucci/index.htm[/link]

I don't know if you did or not, just wanted to inform you that this is why I started the conversation.

Dirtyp
Old 01-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Billyman

Yeah Canadian, see why all the hype? You are so correct, they cannot make 1/10 to 1/8 scale gas engine……

Or can they? Yes! Yes they can! Whoohooo! At least someone’s finally done it.

I’m also thinking about seeing if I can get the complete engine with the starting system and all to fit onto one of my Overdrive ST’s.

I’m also holding off on all purchases for a while until the CEN Genesis hits the market.

I promise to put my tax return to good use.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM
dirtyp

I was talking with PlumCrazy via PM about his Compagnucci 1/8 gasoline car and thought it would benefit you guys. Here is what he had to say:

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. I hardly drive My Compagnucci it is not very powerful compared to nitro plus they have friction shocks instead of oil filled. They go about thirty MPH but they do run a long time on one tank about 30 minutes. They are very hard to find parts for in the US but they do seem pretty tough. I bought mine new at Sheldon's Hobbies for $199.00 and that included the bag a charger and the car ready to run. I have also seen them new on ebay for alot less than what you stated so if you really want one you would do well to keep checking there for a good deal. I have been looking for a cheap roller X Factor so I can use the Compagnucci engine in it and make a rock crawler other than that I would probably get rid of it. I hope this helped and if you have any more questions let me know.
So before you decide to buy make sure you look around! Also if any others have this car please let us know before we decide to buy, if we decide to buy. Thanks Plum.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Billyman

Much appreciated update.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 PM
robster94gt

Hey all,

Any of you guys take the plunge and get one of the Compagnuccis? I bought one off of ebay and it should be here any day now. I've read some harsh critiques of them, I hope I didn't make a mistake. I know they aren't as fast as a nitro, but what I was really looking for was ease of use.

Rob
Old 01-10-2006, 11:18 PM
wave waker

Nitro is for racing, gasoline is for washing parts..that's what they say.....just kidding...