Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

gasoline engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:03 PM
hou_ge2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasoline engines

Is it possible to have 2 engines for a kit, one gasoline and one nitro.

When you simply want to play around, you use the gasoline engine, when you feel the need for performance or race, you put the nitro engine in and take the gasoline engine out.

How hard is it to swap engines?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:47 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Default RE: gasoline engines

hummm....your missing a lot

yet i have seen a gasoline engine that will work on 1/10 or 1/8 scale cars

and why would you wan to do that?
Old 07-05-2004, 09:11 AM
hitman45

do you even know how big a gasoline engine is?! Hehe...do you really think a chainsaw/moped/whipper snipper engine would fit into a tiny car of 1/10th scale?

What are you? A comedian.

Those engines are meant for 1/5th scale cars.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:26 AM
aidaniel

its not that hard actually the only prob is reseting the shocks to take the load
Old 09-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Mad Wax

The engine alone is about 60% length of a 1:10 (then add in carb filter, exhaust/pipe then engine mounts/gear assembly and pratically equal to the entire length of a small scale car! So unless you plan to rip out radio gear and steering mech I really can't see this happneing. Of course the diff and dogbones will probably just bent and snap, since you don't get performance with petrol engines.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
savvy-racer

there is people that put gassoline engine in their 1/10 trucks ( tmaxx ) so shut yp and leave him along.

BTW what kind of truck you about to put it in. My friend and I planning on doing that right now.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:12 PM
savvy-racer

my bad its GASOLINE
Old 09-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Mad Wax

Is the tmaxx drivetrain/chassis system upto the job? I mean a 1:10 scale RC car would probably have a .15 that weighs a couple of hundred grams at the most. And then shoving in at least 22cc engine which weighs around 2kg, plus fuel tank which is far bigger and higher capacity. So you've got standard chassis, shocks, wishbones, diff, gearing, dogbones, drive bolts that were desinged for a far lower powered engine, plus due to extra weight & intertia extra strain on steering system and servos and the brake....try to imaging what putting a tractor engine into a fiat 500 would do.

ok.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:23 PM
smokingcrater

gas presents entirely new problems also. your max rpm is MUCH lower, 10,000 for a typical 25cc, which means drastic gear changes. Also, gas motors tend to be swinging around alot more weight and hit alot harder on their compression stroke, things WILL break fairly easily when exposed to that! (my 25cc gasser ripped the firewall apart on my lanier stinger the first time I fired it up. the firewall was expoxied 1/4 plywood wrapped in fiberglass
)
Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 AM
JRexA

Italian maker Bergonzoni made an engine, that could be converted from Petrol(Gasoline) to Nitro and back.

It was used in their 1/8 scale cars.

I don't know if it is still available.
I can't find it on their homepage http://www.bergonzoni.it
Old 09-21-2005, 08:40 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a company that you may have heard of, called Compagnucci, and they make a 1:8 scale on-road car that has the option of either a small 2-stroke (gas/oil) engine or a nitro motor. I do not think that it is just a matter of pulling one out and dropping in another, but there probably are not that many additional changes to be made.

The engine in question is not even close to the size of the big gas motor that is in my FG Monster Beetle, but it works on the same principle. I happen to own one of these Compagnucci road cars, myself (I hate tuning a nitro ) and I can say that it is very reliable and easy to tune. You basically just set it and forget it.

Before you consider buying one of these motors (if they are even available for sale without the car) consider the rc that you are putting it into. YOU WILL WANT A TWO SPEED TRANSMISSION, as the car and motor are designed for oval racing and the take-off speed is slower than that of a nitro. Supposedly there is a two speed tranni in the works for my car, but for now, I just drive in a big parking lot.

Here is the link to one of the sites that carry the car:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2005, 03:29 PM
pawraith

the t-maxx drive train is up to the job of handling a gas engine, thats not the problem though. the biggest issue is the taller CoG. if you plan on doing alot of running, your going to notice that you either tip over alot or if you jump, your not going to hit on your wheels. economicly and power wise, gas is a good way to go. i dont know if you would be able to do engine swaps cause of the chassis mods you would have to do. but if you have any further ??? check this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2893529
Old 10-14-2005, 04:52 PM
SqueedilySpooch

i dont get it people use nitro for bashing all the time and performance why would u need to switch the engine everytime for a hassale? Seriously i get ur point but...its harder than jus sticking with one engine that will probably yield better results and well will be much mich easier in almost every way...