Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

official smartech buggy thread

Old 07-04-2004, 08:32 AM
SmT64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default official smartech buggy thread

hey this post is just 4 ne 1 that owns an smartech buggy.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:10 PM
samcim

Default RE: official smartech buggy thread

i used to own one, but sold it cuz it broke too easy (smartech winner sport)
Old 07-05-2004, 12:06 PM
superspeedy

I OWN ONE BUT IM SURE ITS JINXED. IT KEEPS BREAKING. FIRST IT WAS MY CLUTCH, THEN MY SERVO AND NNOW THE PULLSTART
Old 07-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Nitro_Evader_Basher

I bought one off Ebay but then the guy tried to charge me 80 bucks for shipping[:@][:'(][&:][>:] so I just went to my local hobby shop and bought a Duratrax Nitro Evader ST. it's more expensive but it's alot more reliable and it's infinatley easier to find parts for.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:54 PM
studysession

Lets not use chat speek. It is to hard for others to read.

I have not owned a Smatech - but know someone who imports them into the UK. If you can get parts regularly I think it would be ok. Problem is most RC stores don't have any parts. If more RC stores / hobby shops carried parts, it be a more popular car. Traxxas breaks very easy. But since you can easily get parts for their stuff, it is a good buy.

Just My Opinion.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:02 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX
My Feedback: (1)

i used to own one but i gave it to my brother btw he posts here on RCU under the id of SmT_64 and we noticed that some grand vigor parts are compatible and my lhs stocks parts for them..... and study session even if hobby stores did stock parts for them they still wouldnt be good cars because smartech parts are to brittle and break.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:49 PM
urban_assault

I just bought one off ebay but reading this thread is starting to make me wish I didn't But I guess I'll find out for my self because I'm getting mixed reviews from the forms.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
chocyman

Think this thread is a great idea.
Ive been posting in the road car section as they have an 'official Smartech thread', where everyone seems to post winner 1, 3 and winner sport issues. Granted theres not much difference between them, but still.

Anyway, Ive had a winner 3 single speed buggy for a while now and have to strongly disagree with the 'not as strong' comment. My Winner has taken a fair beating over the months and pretty much come out unscathed.
I currently own a Traxxas Nitro hawk(oldie) with a .15 engine and a Tamiya TGS WRX, and both seem to break/strip more bits than the Smartech does.
Totally agree with parts distribution tho, its a pain in the arse to get hold of any specific bits, other than order from the net and wait a few weeks for the part to arrive. My advise...when you need to get parts...get a few, not just one!!

Ive gone through the major trouble parts, and uprated/upgraded them.
So far i have done the following

Replaced the servos with Futaba units (smartech ones are really not good)
Added a failsafe (a must!)
Replaced the Shockies with Duratrax ajustable units
Replaced the engine with an OS CV-RX
Replaced the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing for a uprated and vented unit (geared down 18T instead of 15T)
Replaced the exhaust header with a HPI unit (much better and doesnt throw oil over the engine)
Fully ballraced

Im going to fabricate a new front shock mount plate as the duratrax front shockies dont have as much travel as Id like (the duratrax units are about 3 or 4mm longer than the standard ones), rear is not a problem.

I'll add a few comments as well.. The cars retail for around $150, you DO get what you pay for. The engine is not the best and is a bugger to tune(although apparently a change to an OS carbie makes a biiig difference). You want something thats 99% perfect out of the box, then go for the bigger brands. You wont have to touch it and you can wheel it out every weekend and it`ll go, but if you want a cheap basher, that goes right out of the box without too much hassle AND that you can fiddle with and make it better without worrying that your throwing your $500 investment away, then Smartech takes some beating.
Plus you can bet your life that there A LOT of owners out there, given the price they sell for.

When people say "they break easily, they are cr*p", try driving your Toyota road car or your nice Honda into a curb @ 30MPH +, cartwheel it a few times and then slam into a tree and see if anything breaks. Bet it will, so why should the Smartech be any different, hell drive your bling bling all ally Savage at a curb fast enough and parts will bend and break!
People can argue that all the add-ons and fixes that ive done, I could have purchased a Kyosho or HPI for the same price...but my answer would be...wheres the fun in that!!??

Buy one if you want a cheap, fun nitro basher that can be uprated with some work if you want
DONT buy one if you dont want a car thats 100% perfect out of the box or want a challenge.

Just my 5c
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 AM
urban_assault

Has any one found what car the Winner sport 3 is a direct copy of?
Also If I have the 2 speed and want to up grade the clutch flywheel and bell housing what should I use to keep the 2 speed. Maybe a hpi 2 speed.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
urban_assault

My buggy finaly came in after a week, so I filled it up after 3 pulls it started and idle very well. It it so well I though it might be to lean but it wasn't. I broke the motor in by running about 3 and a half tanks in front of a fan to keep the engine cool. I'd crank it up put in front the fan and go to the front and forgot it came back almost 10 min later no problem it was still running fine. Later that night I leaned it a little bit like the book said tightn the screw on the carb all the way and loosened about 2 turns. All I have to say is this car hauls *****. For the money I'm deffintly happy but I've only had it for a day so no melted clutch or any thing yet. However the quality is low on some parts, I notice the pins that hold the A Arms on are way to long, the stering set up is a little slopy, after running the car for maybe 2 hours total some at night , today I notice the body had cracked, and the shocks suck- they reall just need stiffer springsof the collars tocompress them better, besides that It's great .

MY thoughts on the winner 3 sport buggy by smartech
Its a great deal for the money.
Solid design just needs a little bit better quality on a few minor parts
I would deffintly buy another one however I've only had it for a day so I keep you posted if any thing or what breaks first.
I have not fully put it through its paces yet as far as jumping or any thing like that yet until I up grade the shocks.
I keep you guys posted
Old 06-01-2005, 09:17 PM
evattman

This thread needs to thrive!!!! Heres my buggy............and yes....it will flat out fly....never a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90543.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	279306  
Old 06-01-2005, 11:36 PM
evattman

This may be a stupid question.......but does anyone know if theres a engine that would be a direct fit for these Smartech buggies? The thing runs great, but it does seem to need tuning a little to often.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:59 AM
monkeyface

i need help please!!
im new to nitro buggies (and to this forum) and im having trouble with my
winner sport engine.
firstly it starts 1st or 2nd time but after i take the glow plug off it
dies.
it spits alot of fuel out of the exhaust, if i do get it going, it barely
moves.
and also, when i look into the carb with the air filter out, the hole in the
barrel is not in the centre, it is off to the right so when the throttles is
fully open, about a 1/4 of the hole is still covered.

ive set the main needle to about 2 1/2 turns and the low speed needle to 1
turn as it said on here.

it used to run quite well but i figured out it was running way too hot but
it doesnt work with these settings[]

thanks in advance
Old 06-04-2005, 09:19 AM
enjoymentboy

It sounds like you are runing very rich but before you start to work on the needles you will need to get the carb barrle settings set right.

With the air filter off (and engine not running) look into the carb and put the throttle to full. The carb should open all the way. Let it go back to idle and it should only be open about 1.5mm. Now give it full brake. The opening should not get any smaller. If the carb barrel is not set right at first you will have a much harder time tuning the engine.

Here is what I do: IMPORTANT-ENGINE OFF!!!!

Take the screw off the top of the servo that holds the servo horn in place and pop off the servo horn.
Turn on the transmitter (TX) and receiver (RX) and give full throttle.
Turn off the RX and then the TX. This leave the servo at full.
Now open the carb barrel to full and put the servo horn back on the servo. Do not forget to put the screw back on. Make sure you do not turn the servo when you do this.
Now your carb should be fully open.
Turn the RX and TX back on. The carb should close most of the way. If it doesn't you will have to play with the adjustments on the linkages a bit to get it right. Get the linkages set as close as possible and then use the TX trims for final adjustments.
Give full brake. The carb should not close more than 1.5mm. If it does you need to turn the idle screw (the one right beside the carb barrel) in a little at a time. You will have to adjust this some once you start running the engine so don't expect it to be perfect right now.

This should put your carb and idle setting in a good general area to run in. Now start your engine (put the air filter back on first) and if you need to leave the glow plug warmer on then you are too rich. Turn the main needle in 1\8 turn at a time giving 30 seconds of running for the setting to take effect. Take off the plug warmer and see how it runs. Keep doing this until you do not need to keep the plug warmer on. Now start turning it in at 1\16th turns to get your final tune.

When you are tuning an engine always remember that you have to let the engine warm up fully before you should start tuning. The tune will change as the engine warms up. Generally 30 seconds of running will bring the engine up to temp.

Hope this helps.

Enjoymentboy
Old 06-04-2005, 02:23 PM
monkeyface

thanks for the reply but i took it into my lhs to get it sorted (i thought it was best for them to sort it out) and it works well now. they sorted the carb and put a hotter glow plug in and re-tuned it (i think i set my low speed incorrectly)
cheers anyways
Old 06-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Pebody1013

I am also new to the world of Smartech buggies and after a day of messing with the new car I have broken a wheel hub. I was wondering where anyone has had success in ordering replacement parts for Smartech seeing as their website seems less than helpfull.

Any links would be appreciated, but general hints will aid my search as well! Thanx

Old 06-18-2005, 08:28 PM
ReDLiNe_XxX

whatup everyone, its SmT64...i dont have that buggy anymore, i ordered me a nitro rush, comes RTR w/ dynamite tuned pipe and heaps of extras for only $107.00usd! pretty sweet deal eh?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:44 AM
jbrown12

I own a smartech winner sport and it is running great, but it is hard to get spare parts for, so to all people who are considering buying a smartech rc car take this into consideration. Does anyone know if other brand rc car parts will fit the winner sport (eg. HPI, Traxxas etc.) and what is the smartech website???

Below is a picture of my rc car.

Name:	Xv64688.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	287700  
Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 AM
4wheelfun

Hello i am a new member i have two smartech buggies ,if anyone needs partsgo to www.raidentech.com or www.dinball.com i have bought many parts from them and find them to be very reliable.for those with carb tuning problems the best thing to do is replace it with an OS 10 E carb ,it will run alot smoother.has anyone bought a Smartech 1/8 Vanguard sports? if so what do you think of it and where does one find parts??? thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM
4wheelfun

Has anyone bought this smartech buggy? it is a vanguard
HUGE 1:8 .27CXP Engine like to know what you think and where to find parts

OFF ROAD "VANGUARD SPORT" RC GAS 4WD BUGGY

< Message edited by 4wheelfun -- 6/23/2005 8:10:02 PM >

Name:	Nl31131.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	288845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62350.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	288846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iy74908.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	288847  
Old 06-23-2005, 07:02 PM
evattman

4wheelfun....................where do you get this carb your talking about?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:23 AM
4wheelfun

I found most parts i needed on ebay, carbs usually go for around $ 20.00
Also those wishing to upgrade some components on their buggies here is what i have done:

1- replace the front driveshafts with a universal one it's called a dogbone #40160

2- buy a set of bearings for the wheels and differentials {also on ebay}

3- replace the standard air filter with a high flow one for less restriction

hope this helps
Old 06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Doug_Funnie

My smaretch buggy runs so-so. The engine has benn running slow and i was thinking of buying the os cv-x .15. It breaks alot but thats mostly my fault. The engine never was fast and t would never tune right. Once I have the money i want to buy a hyper7 instead. But overall, smaretch isnt THAT bad..
Old 06-25-2005, 06:16 AM
drakedragon

Hey People i had some problems finding spare parts for my winner sport rc car but now i have found
a site that can give you parts from a winner 1 and tiger but because they are basically the same the parts
are compatible with all the other off road cars so here it is http://www.raidentech.com/smsptisppa.html.

Another cool thing that i found is that other brand parts can fit on the cars as well so read this
The Car Contains all available hop-up parts; body or engine included!!!Designed to compete in national and local competitions, manufactured at a super-modern facility, Smartech's nitro r/c gas cars are created with a mind for high performance racing, scale speed of 55mph+. This 4-Wheel-Driven Gas Powered Car is a 1/10th scale that combines many sophisticated performance-enhancing features that represent a culmination of the long years of Smartech's design experience.
OUR CAR HAS A 80-90% PART COMPATIABILITY & MODIFICATIONS WITH OTHER BRANDS LIKE HPI,TRAXX, ETC. YOU CAN CHANGE THE BODY-KIT INTO LIKE LEXUS, BMW, MERCEDE, ETC. YOU CAN ALSO MODIFY/UPGRADE THE ENGINE. ADD NEW TIRES, NEW SUSPENSION, RE-PAINT,+ MORE!!! THIS IS A GREAT KIT FOR ANY AGE, ANYONE !!!
Old 06-26-2005, 07:24 AM
chocyman

Hey folks

Have finished for the time being, fitting my buggy out with a few trick bits and hopping it up where I can.
Pics are below:-
http://www.rcpics.net/img/59779
http://www.rcpics.net/img/59780
http://www.rcpics.net/img/59781
http://www.rcpics.net/img/59782

Bascially, it has a new OS .18 CV-RX engine (broke the carbie retainer nut so havent had a chance to break it in yet [:@]), with a new 17T vented clutch bell housing, and new high grip clutch shoes (white nylon stuff type), and a HPI exhaust header (it actually stops the fuel going all over the engine!), plus Ive added new adjustable shockies all round (rears units from a Duratrax Evader), with better spring rates, plus made up a new front shockie retainer as the old one wasnt high enough and didnt allow the new shockies their full travel.
Just waiting for the spare part from OS to arrive and I`ll begin breaking the engine in. Hoping the main drive gear hold up with the increased engine power and torque, but Ive geared it down from the original 15T to 17T so hopefully the bigger engine will give me the same acceleration as the .15, but a slightly better top speed.
Guess only time will tell though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.