Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

GO RC DRIVER!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:49 PM
RedlineMotorServices

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GO RC DRIVER!

I just wanted to tell ya guys at rc driver, GOOD FOR YOU! Iwas so fed up with a certain other RC mag [cough*rcca*cough] Becuase they were basicly saying htat traxxas was prefect, and there was traxxas ad like every other page LOL. I had heard some good stuff about rc driver from some other associated friends so I just went out and got your latest mag [december] and I LOVE IT! Just wanted I wanted in a mag, no traxxas ad's, plenty of associated ad's, and NO AD'S EVERY OTHER PAGE ! your mag is SO much more worth it then RCCA's 6 bucks an issue ad mag. Just wanted to say basicly, KEEP IT UP! YOU CAN TAKE EM!

Long time RCCA reader, but now a HUGE rc driver fan [cancelled my subscription to rcca[8D]]
Old 10-24-2004, 01:22 PM
t to the maxx2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GO RC DRIVER!

I 100% agree. Even though I am die hard traxxas fan, i still like reading un biased reveiws and actaully bringing an rc mag to schoool with out "inappropiate" ad
Old 10-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Nitro_Evader_Basher

ya the other mags are really offensive and I can't even show them to my little cousin
Old 10-27-2004, 02:01 PM
RedlineMotorServices

I don't think I will ever buy antoher issue of RCCA ever again after reading RC driver. I started talking about rc driver on RCCA's forums [RCZ] and got baned, because I said I saw a cool acticle. How stupid is that? are they that worried? GOOD they SHOULD be cause RCD is gonna kill them. Keep up the good work rc driver, oh and there are 14 traxxas ad's and 221 pages of just ad's in RCCA's next issue acording to my friend, thats retarded, 2/3 of the mag is pure crap.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:02 PM
RCDriverER

Thanks guys! It really makes working late nights and such worth it. We try to keep our ad/editorial percentage equal from issue to issue. The percentage we've come up with seems to work and we will always try to stay as close to it as we possibly can. It means alot when people like you notice that we actually DO work hard and take time to say something as simple but important as "Thanks".
Old 12-05-2004, 11:18 PM
bjoehandley

I'm with them, I work for a HobbyTown and I always tell people who are looking at getting into RC to read the magazines and have to warn them about XRC and RCCA being to, um, risque for young readers and tend to recoment you guys and RC Car because of the more All Age content.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:55 AM
nurch

I have preached it once, and I will preach it again: RC Driver is the new standard for R/C Magazines. Believe me, the folks at R/C Driver know me very well right now. I am just glad Dave Baker did not find that camera I planted in his garage so I can get a sneak peak and hear what's going to happen to Flip and Marshall!

I also earned a, "title" from these guys because I did not recognize a truck in one of the issues of RC Driver. Ugh, that day still traumatizes me...

As far as R/C Car Action is concerned, I think ever since they recruited Joel Johnson into their cast, their articles have greatly improved. I am also starting to see more content as well. Their sleeze ads, like the acer bearings ads, are highly unnecessary given the number of younger R/C addicts out there. But I think R/C Car Action is starting to do some great work. But then again, their overhaul was based off of R/C Driver's rocketing popularity. But you guys have to remember that Greg V and Dave Baker, and a few others came from R/C Car Action. Bet you guys did not know that.

HiTorq R/C Car magazine is doing a great job. I rank them up there with R/C Driver. Skinny is a great guy and his articles are very enthusiastic, though it could use a little more constructive criticism that R/C Driver is illustrious for. I remember when I made a post on MaxxTraxxUSA.com (also owned by the R/C Driver gang) about commenting on things that suck and whatnot, I was severely put in my place, and Dave Baker even explained to me the point of constructive criticism versus bashing: companies also read the magazine reviews and base their production models off of the articles made in magazines. Plus it gives readers and idea of what to expect in their new R/C vehicle. Though I have digressed much in this paragraph, I want to get back on topic by saying HiTorq's R/C Car magazine is also very nice and rated G.

Xtreme R/C....hmm. A civil comment about them would be to make more constructive criticisms and cool it with the outright bashing. Also, they need to cool down the sleezyness. Sex and R/Cs are two very different worlds. They do not even go together. It's like your girlfriend hanging out with your best buds while you want some time away from her. Although I will admit that I have not read any new magazines from Xtreme R/C, so I will base this criticism off my view of their July 2003 issue. If they have cooled it with the outright bashing and sleezyness since then, I commend them. R/C Driver has set the new bar for excellence in R/C magazines, with HiTorq's R/C Car up there close by with R/C Driver.

No matter what I try to compare the other R/C magazines with, R/C Driver still acts as a foundation of oppinions for me.

Disclaimer: everything I have said in this post is MY OPPINION.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:02 PM
t to the maxx2

But you guys have to remember that Greg V and Dave Baker, and a few others came from R/C Car Action. Bet you guys did not know that.
I did know that.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:19 PM
nurch

Yeah, you are part of several people that know that. I meant to say "some of"...D'Oh! [:@]
Old 12-13-2004, 12:40 PM
USABaja5B

I thought Maxxtraxx is owned by Partick at Ballistic Batteries. RC Driver just has a forum there.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:11 PM
nurch

Maybe it used to belong to him. But the R/C Driver team said they are the ones that got the forums back up and even registered the old domain name to the new one as well.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:47 PM
DavidBaker

To set the record straight, here's the RC Driver/maxxtraxx scoop.

RC Driver does not own, nor has it ever owned, Maxxtraxx.

Maxxtraxx is owned by Patrick Kivin/Ballistic Batteries. The only connection with RC Driver is the fact that 2 Maxxtraxx Admins work for RC Driver. Myself as Associate Editor and Jasoninaugusta who is a contributor. Patrick agreed to post a RCD forum to help us out.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:44 AM
JasonInAugusta

Yeah...what Dave said.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 AM
nurch

Oooooh!!!

My sincere apologies everyone. But my other statement about R/C Driver magazine still stands. They are the new bar of excellence!

Can I at least claim that Dave or Jase?
Old 01-22-2005, 02:40 AM
jetski75013

i agree-love the mag it has been great since day one. and i loved the full year at the half price rate- please keep up the good work
Old 01-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to add my congratulations aswell. The magazine is extremely well written, the tests are thorough and fair and the features and articles make it the best rc read out there. Yours is the only magazine I have ever subscribed to. Keep up the good work fellas.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:01 PM
WhoMe

Id like to comment that...despite the girl picture rating system (Which is nice to look at but oddly misplaced o.o) The
sleeziness is odd but im a grown man so its no horror for me; Anyway after some reading and getting a subscription for christmas i found that EXtreme RC actually has some good stuff to say. They recently had a interveiw with a pro RC driver that was like 6 pages long. It spanned his life in RC and his truthful and un-apologitic view on RC and the industry. I found it very insightful. Just my two cents...not for kids but definatly a suitable and informative magazine for adult RC enthusiasts .
Old 01-24-2005, 10:18 PM
DerekBuono

Our magazine isn't for kids. This hobby has multiple levels and we target 18-36 year old males. Sports are for kids but Sports Illustrated is not. I don't see why people have to baby sit others. They can look at a magazine and make a decision on their own if they can handle the content. Do you warn parents about Disney movies being packed with sexual inuendos? Probably not. We're not scared to say our magazine isn't target at the 10 year old. We make a magazine that's not boring to read or look at. If you ACTUALLY read the magazine (like whome did) then you'll probably sing a different tune. But if you read it and don't like it, that's fine by me. Not all magazines are liked by everybody and we're okay with that.

Whome, the "celebrity" rating is just adding some humor to the magazine. We get more emails about people being mad a girl was rated higher or lower than they should be.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:36 AM
WhoMe

Its cool bro..but i still cant look at the Olsen twins like women..lol! Rock on and keep on doing what your doing. Id also like to say that i enjoy RC Driver very much aswell, not tryin to bash anyone. The more quality publications that exist for a hobby that I love, the better!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:33 AM
DerekBuono

lol, very true.

As I creep up in age I have trouble for about a second looking at younger girls Enjoy the magazine, be sure to send some pictures into our Racers Rides section. If they are the best you some free stuff.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 AM
DavidBaker

I was a hobby enthusiast long before I was ever involved in the magazine side. When I started in the hobby I was all for more publications on the subject. This meant more views and perspectives for me to ponder over.

Now that I am involved as an editor in a RC publication I still keep that same perspective. I like that there is not just one of us trying to please everybody. I can honestly say that I like something, and in some instances, many things, about all the pubs available. I've never kept it a secret that I like the fact that RC Driver strives to stay family oriented. We receive a boat load of emails praising us for the same thing. But I agree with Derek about XRC. It's targeted at a certain audience and does very well at keeping that audience entertained and informed. Though RCD and XRC may share a certain amount of readership I think we both have our audiences that prefer one over the other. That's what makes America great. It means that, as a publication in a niche market, we don't have to bust our butts in a futile effort to make everyone happy. We all know that's not even possible.

Every RC publication out there is different from the others in some way or in every way. We are all working to provide information on the RC industry (when it boils down is just about toys) that keeps seasoned hobbyists involved and draws in fresh faces.

If we want this hobby to grow then it certainly can't hurt to have several publications out there hitting every potential market possible.

Buy them all or choose one... just stay involved in the hobby!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Kudos to the crew at RC Driver. I started buying them for my son since issue #1 then subscribed last year at the Toledo Expo. I'm the one that started bugging you about getting a boat magazine spun off.
I understand what some of the others are complaining about, especially one advertiser that seems that they have to have a half or full page ad with a skimpily clad female. I'd rather see an ugly male that actually uses the product myself than someone who has no clue as to what they sell. Sometimes you have to loook at the fine print to see what their product is! Sorry, a pretty face doesn't do anything for me (I'm old anyway!) to get me to buy a product. Keep up the great work people, I really appreciate your not holding back on your reviews and telling things like they are, good and bad.
BTW, would you be interested in getting pix of some of my .12 powered boats? Yeah, I'm using car and truck motors in some small monos and outrigger hydros, a mix of both worlds.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:22 PM
DON BEGLEY

great thread guys. i just found an issue on the stands and love it. i am a long time rcca reader. i have no intention of replacing them i like having more than one or two mags on my hobby. keep up the great work