Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Flames from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 02:32 PM
teamrayman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flames from exhaust

Is there anything out there that i can add to nitro to make flames come out of my exhaust. i know that nitro is flameless but i was just wondering if there was anything. I think it would be quite cool[8D][8D]

Thanks,
Ray
Old 11-26-2004, 02:49 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flames from exhaust

you could make like a mount for a small can of wd40 and mount 2 small servos and have one sprayin the can and the other lighting the wd40[&:].or you could just add some wd40 to the fuel it would catch on fire and might possibly shoot flames out the back
Old 11-26-2004, 03:00 PM
bkmademedoit

i've set nitro on fire before just to see what happened. with the lights on i couldnt see anything but when i turned them off it had a really cool white flame that moved really slowly, it sort of reminded me of staring at a lava lamp.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:11 PM
teamrayman

yea but would i mess up my engine by adding the DW40 with the nitro?

im going now to light up some nitro in the dark.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I dont know for shure, but Im pretty sure its not good for your engine.

Try spraying something flamable inside the nipple thing on your pipe before you start the motor, eventually it should get it hot enough to ignite.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:09 PM
oatmealman
Banned

thats true or add a little engine starter
Old 11-26-2004, 05:12 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

have a homosexual drive your ride???? just a thought.[:-]
Old 11-27-2004, 03:21 AM
aliens8mycow

That's gonna be tough on a small rc vehicle. Full size cars are easy - you have a source for a spark and 10 or 20 gallons of gasoline at your disposal along with plenty of room to rig up some way to introduce them to each other...

I'm thinking that you'll need a fairly small volume of gasoline, butane, propane, wd-40, or whatever floats your boat. If you can figure out how to 'mist' it, the simplest way to ignite it would be with a light bulb filament. You can get a 2 or 3 volt light bulb at radio shack along with a dual AAA battery box, bust the bulb and rig the filament across the exhaust exit wired to your batteries quite easily, and a couple of AAA's wouldn't add much weight or take up much room. You could wire a small switch in the circuit so that you can have the filament hot whenever you want to 'flame'.

I don't think that you'd want anything more than a mist of flammable liquid, or even a shot of flammable gas, though. You're probably gonna set your rear tire on fire anyway, if not melt the whole body.

Maybe someone has an idea for the gas part... You might be able to browse around at the local hardware store and find a small bottle of something flammable that you could fit on your car/truck and use a servo wired to an extra radio channel to spray it.

Instead of burning your truck down, you might also consider rigging everything at the rear, so it looks like the truck has dual rear exhaust, and just have those blow flames out (it would look more like a real hot rod with a flamethrower on it).
Old 11-27-2004, 03:45 AM
jakjr

Instead of messing with salvaging a lightbulb filament, just get some nichrome wire, Ibleive the technical name is nickle chromium or something like that.

You can get over 50 feet of it off ebay for like 5 bucks.

Its used to electronically ignite model rocket engines, or fireworks, or to make a foam cutter, but it would work fine for what your wanting to do.

Heres the item number for it on e-b*y, 5937345825 or you can lookup aqua9995 which is who I got mine from.

As far as what to use to make the flames, Id try some lighter fluid, not butane but regular liquid lighter fluid.

Maybe you could rig up a drip system that just constantly drips the fluid on to the wire, Id find a very small bottle and add a litle peice of fuel line to it, mount the bottle upside, maybe onto your body, so the fluid drains out the fuel line onto your igniter wire.

If you messed around with it enough, im sure you could mount a servo so that the arm opens/closes the fuel line, I suppose you could set it up so the arm swings over and pinches the fuel line shut.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:49 AM
Ahab

I think aliens might have struck on a good idea there - who says that it has to be the actual exhaust that shooths the flame? - (however it would look sweet on soemthign like a Tsais Side pipe.....

I would say 2 pipes out of the rear of your truck and link them to a fuel source and an ignition system, and then have the flames shoot otu the back of the truck.

as for ignition, the bulb element might work well, or perhaps a hot glowplug..?

I would like to try a high torque servo with a horn with 2 ends on it(like for rudders on an aircraft). one side could open the valve to whatever gas you use, and the other could push the switch on a piezo ignition (you could rob one out of a cigarette ligher, or even one of those big ones you use for boilers. The beauty of a piezo spark is it is elecrical current so you can have the sparker in the body of the truck, then run the spark along 2 wires and then leave the gap (for the spark to acr accross) where you need it in the pipe.

The problem I see is getting a small enough source of falmable enough liquid at high enough pressure to flame...
as first I considered a perfume atomiser, but that means that you have to get the servo close enough to the pipe to push down the pump spray.
you really need to use either compressed flamable gas, or you need an inert gas with a flamable suspension, gas under pressure could be fed down a fuel tube to the point of ignition, you cant do that with a pumped atomiser...
So it is all a case of finding a small enough canister, of the right gas. It needs to light with a spark, and it needs to be small enough.
Try looking at travel size cans of deodorant...
Old 11-27-2004, 03:57 AM
Ahab

if you use a small source of pressurised gas, you could spray this accross a tube going to a tank of fuel. this should syphon the fuel up the tube and into the path of the gas... I guess I am thinking it sould work the same way as an airbrush feeds paint ... perhaps even just use an airbrush full of fuel...

---and your fiery death is not my problem ---
Old 11-27-2004, 12:47 PM
aliens8mycow

The nickle chromium wire would work too, but I was trying to think of 'quick and easy to get locally'.

If you use a filament to ignite, I don't think the drip method will work - it's probably gonna have to be misted somehow. Many flammable liquids need a spark or flame to ignite. For example, gasoline will not ignite without a spark or flame. You can pour gas on your driveway and drop a lit cigarette in it, and it won't burn. Hit the same puddle of gas with a spark, and you've got a fire!

Not to mention the mist would burn more 'completely' and be a lot less messy.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:45 PM
aliens8mycow

I can't believe you've got me so overwhelmed with this deal... This link is for a NO2 injection system for rc cars, and uses little bottles like you get CO2 for BB guns in.

http://www.jagrc.com

This would be perfect - it's already set to spray gas - just rig it to spray at the end of your exhaust. Only problem is that NO2 and CO2 aren't flammable...

Gonna have to dig - there has to be a way to get those little bottles filled with propane!

Then you'd have the pressure to actually blow the flames out and get some distance, even if you rigged it through a pair of 'falsies' at the rear. I think the rear mount is a better plan anyway - you'll have more room to put between the nozzle and your filament or spark. Get 'em too close and the flame could travel up the line and go boom!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:13 PM
aliens8mycow

Here's another idea:

Model rocket engines - the A class are only about 3/4" wide and a couple inches long, come with ignitors and you set 'em off with a jolt from a 9v battery. You could mount one facing out the rear of your truck and rig an on/off switch to an extra channel on your trans. They blow out a pretty nice flame.

If that sounds too cheesy and you really want to burn some fuel, the little ignitors may be a way to spark it. Only problem is that they only work once...

I still like the bottled gas better. My wife works for a propane company. (they normally do the large farm tanks and bbq tanks) I might have to have her look into miniature set-ups.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:35 PM
aliens8mycow

Just talked to my wife about the propane thing - she thinks they produce miniature bottles, but isn't sure. I showed her a co2 cartridge, and she thought that they made something like that with propane! I'll find out Monday.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:37 PM
capone12

um just to let you know a quick fire lesson. White flames=the hottest fire there is. Its first that yellow/orange then blue and then roaring blue and then white. If you could get roaring blue to come out that would be amazing and it would win you several picutre of the month in some magazines [8D]
Old 11-27-2004, 11:01 PM
jakjr

ORIGINAL: aliens8mycow

I can't believe you've got me so overwhelmed with this deal... This link is for a NO2 injection system for rc cars, and uses little bottles like you get CO2 for BB guns in.

http://www.jagrc.com

This would be perfect - it's already set to spray gas - just rig it to spray at the end of your exhaust. Only problem is that NO2 and CO2 aren't flammable...
Those kits are cool! I think Im gonna get one for my nitro evader, I see you can get the older version for only 40 bucks.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:05 AM
aliens8mycow

jakjr - are you gonna use for a boost bottle, or rig it for a flamethrower? My wife thinks that the propane co. that she works for has propane in small bottles like that. I'll find out Monday, but if they do, this would be the easy way to set one up!
Old 11-28-2004, 08:29 AM
teamrayman

Thanks for the help. i think i might be able to do it with a small can of wd40, some small copper piping(bout 2mm in diameter) and two bulbs. il post a picture of a drawing of it later.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 11-28-2004, 12:04 PM
teamrayman

Ok. i have a problem. i can't post a picture[&o]. HELP[]
Old 11-28-2004, 12:39 PM
aliens8mycow

Do you plan to have a servo press the spray cap on the wd-40 can? That's gonna require a high-speed servo with the linkage set up just right.

I'd recommend trying this by hand before you burn your truck down...

Night before last, when this whole idea got started, after thinking and thinking and typing back and forth, I was up all night setting stuff on fire in my garage... kinda scary - I don't even have a nitro vehicle at the moment!

Anyway - I've recovered from sleep deprivation, but I'll tell you this - if you have a flame and spray wd-40 across it, it'll blow out quite a nice flame (especially if you spray it through a tube to focus the stream). The big problem is if you spray for very long, the fire will consume the wd-40 faster than it's coming out of the bottle. It will start working it's way up the stream toward the can - uh... you don't want it to get to the can!

While it will burn well (and they do sell it in small cans) but you'll need to be carefull with your 'rigging' so that there is some room between the nozzle and your source of ignition.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:00 PM
nitromacguyver

what type of vehical are you thinking about doing this on?

the X factor would be a good truck to do it on because the exhaust is in the rear so there would be less risk of torching your car/truck.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:09 PM
teamrayman

its not a truck. its a hpi rs4 3 ss. Yea,,,,,,, space is a problem i know, but il figure somten out. i resently used my third chanel to open up my fuel tank for a quick pit stop. huge success!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:52 PM
aliens8mycow

Sweet! I don't know why, but I assumed this was going on a T-Maxx or something. I'm really glad to see it going on a car - I'm gettin' all excited again... I'm restoring an old RC10L pan car and putting a brushless system in it over the winter - hmmm... might just need a pair of flamethrowers coming out the back of that thing!

It sounds like you have a few ideas that have 'sparked' your interest - keep us posted as you tinker with it, and for god's sake take some video the first time you try it out! (there may not be a 2nd time if burn your car down!)
Old 11-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: aliens8mycow
...the simplest way to ignite it would be with a light bulb filament. You can get a 2 or 3 volt light bulb at radio shack along with a dual AAA battery box, bust the bulb and rig the filament ...

That filament is too fragile to operate outside of a minor vacuum, especially such a ROUGH environment....

Besides though...... WHY??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.