Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

For the older guys: What car brings back memories?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

For the older guys: What car brings back memories?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Philster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For the older guys: What car brings back memories?

First car was electric: I was 10. It was a Cox Lamborghini Countach. Fully proportional controls and rechargable 5 cell NiCd pack.

My next real RC car was a Tamiya Hornet (electric) that my cousin and I shared/built in 1986 when I was 19.

In 1987 I bought a Tamiya Road Wizard F1 kit, dropped in an electronic speed controller and a Trinity Black Gold motor that made the car so fast it was like driving on ice. I downgraded to a Trinity Blue Print motor and absolutely had the car dialed in. Still own it and love to hear that whir of the motor and gears. So smooth.

In 1991 someone gave me a Tower catalogue and was amazed by the nitro truck ads! I ordered the Kyosho Outlaw Rampage truck kit, with .12 O.S. engine for like 330 buks and 55 bucks for a controller. No one knew that you could actually have an R/C vehicle with real fuel! I built it and it actually ran like a champ. It didn't like to idle, but I didn't even know that there was a way to tune it. I thrashed my Rampage alot until about 1995.

Next was the purchase of a used Savage in 2004, which is now my main basher....and to continue the Kyosho legacy I have just purchased the new Inferno GT Rally car with a sick .28 engine in it.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:27 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

This is not exactly like other posts here. I was looking through some old photos last night. This is a scanned photos I found. It is from 1984. I am in the middle, with the cigarette (I gave up the cigs about 6 years ago) and transmitter. my son is sitting (he was 14 then) and my buddy standing to my left. I was lived in Falls Church Va. at the time.
The car is a 4WD 1/8 Cook. They were hand made by Jim Cook. He was from somewhere in Texas but was living and building cars in Md. at the time. The car had either an OS or Picco 19 motor. We had 2 of the Cook's and 2 Carlsons. 1/8 dirt cars that were built in Sweden.
We raced in the Mid Atlantic ROAR region. The track was at Tyson Corners Shopping Center in Fairfax Va. That was our home track. We also ran at Richmond Va., Baltimore Md., Glen Burnie Md., Williamstown NJ., and Selinsgrove Pa.
We traveled to all the races in that old motorhome. At the time that was a half/asses classy ride. Even went to the Nats in Orlando Fl. in 1985 (IFRC) in that old thing.
A year or two after that my son discovered girls, beer, and old rusty pick/ups. He gave up racing. I raced one more year after that and gave it up too.
I remember two guys from NY that raced against us all the time. Father and son team. Pete and Repete Fusco. They were a real class act. And I do mean ACT......
I think they might still be around.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54135.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	389200  
Old 01-16-2006, 08:38 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new meories with an old gold tub rc10

http://www.rcpics.net/img/71971
http://www.rcpics.net/img/71972

[sm=bananahead.gif]insert evil laugh [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Rising Storm 666

For me it is the Lunch Box and Hotshot.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

My addiction started with the Tyco Turbo Hopper, the red 27Mhz one- I really loved that buggy. I haven't heard anyone mention this, but it was a starter for a lot of folks too-

the Radio Shack Golden Arrow. 540 with a 7.2V pack. Was awesome until it broke, then it was game over.

Then:

Marui Big Bear

Then:

Graphite RC10

Through creative trades, I also had a Tamiya Boomerang and Kyosho Optima. I was a kid, so I would get these broken cars and try to fix them, but I had no money and less experience, so I don't know if I even ever got those running.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:11 AM
RC_Texas

ORIGINAL: SVT-ADRENALIN

Just so you can see a nice looking Tyco Turbo Hopper from the 80's. Only if Tyco could make good cars like this again.

Oh man!! I remember that one. It was the same setup as the Bandit, which both were great cars. I enjoyed mine a lot!!

As for me, my 1st one was some blue 4x4 from radio shack. Then I saved some money when I was 11 and got the Panda rc stadium truck by Danny Thompson.

Like this one:

Name:	Nl28415.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	664681  
Old 04-15-2007, 04:47 AM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

I started with that cox dragster that used the string down the road you got it running and let it go down the line and the v at the end would stop it.I then went to the blackfoot,rc10,ikrus,monster beetle,big bear.Got out of it and went to planes,cl then rc and then boats now after many years we are back to cars and trucks.This is one sickness there is no cure for hahah
Old 04-15-2007, 05:01 AM
nomobux

My 1st one was a Cox .049 Funny Car ( still have it ). Then I stepped up it the 70s with an Associated 1/8th nitro pan car ( still have it ). Had a Veco 19 in it. I raced oval and road courses. Back then about all we could get was a Futaba 2 chnl box TX that had a wheel on the front. We mounted a gutted Parma slot car pistol grip to the back of it. made some linkage and viola, throttle and brakes !! Still have that too ... lol
Old 04-15-2007, 05:29 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was the HI-JACKER man i love that car when i was younger. If anyone knows where to get one let me know i'd love to have one now!
Old 04-15-2007, 05:32 AM
nomobux

What was a hi-jacker
ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

Mine was the HI-JACKER man i love that car when i was younger. If anyone knows where to get one let me know i'd love to have one now!
Old 04-15-2007, 05:44 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are probably alot older then me, i'm only 25 so it was about say...12-15 years ago. It was a black car 9.6V i believe maybe a lambo body, and on the controller it had a button, when you hit it the body would POP UP and it would be bigger i guess saying it could go over rougher terrain? anyway it was FAST back them, my buddy had a fast trax and i used to whip up on him! Very cool car back in the day! Man it took a beating, until one day my buddy pulled a soaking wet newspaper out of the drain gutter and beamed it at my car becaue his fast trax sucked,... well it broke the body right off it and went right into the water drain. needless to say he got a beat down that day lol
Old 04-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Nitro Fumes

Well, there are no childhood memories of R/C cars when I was a kid. All they had around then were those Cox cars. I got into the hobby in '83 when I was about 28 y.o. It was with the Associated RC 500, the 1st 1/8 on road car with fully independent suspension. What an awesome machine it was then. I had my KB .21 with a McCoy carb. That KB was tough to break in for a noobe as it was very tight at the top. But it ran reliable and I won races agains guys with more powerful Piccos. Mainly because they would crash themselves alot. I also learned the nitro engines well (we called them gas) and to this day I will prefer nitro over electric. Electrics were a pain in the butt back then to get to run well. Well all I did was race, not bashing. I had been out ot the hobby for 14 yrs and got back into it last year but not as deep as I used to be. I just have one Losi XXX-NT AD2 now. I never lost my driving skill. Saturday I was racing at a track for the 1st time. I did about 5 min. of practice after they wet it down. I got a feel for it. I took 2nd in the two qualifying heats and finished 2nd in the main losing my only 3.3" of which I had held the lead right out of the hole until maybe the last lap or so where I finally got passed. A real fun day.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 AM
TIGER76

I remember when me and my mates had tamiyas when we were younger i started with a blackfoot then a boomerang (loved that buggy awesome speed then ) my mates had hornets grasshoppers Frog monster beetles we used to have to charge over night for one run unless one of us found the parents keys for there car and used the quick charger lol 8 teens hundled around a car waiting for the charges to finish lmao
I always remember another kid up the street who had a MADCAP damn that thing flew he had a modded motor or something we all ran technigolds back then but we could never tame that madcap always wanted one after that more into 4x4 onroad now but the dark impact is drawing me in lol [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Nitro Fumes

ORIGINAL: nomobux

My 1st one was a Cox .049 Funny Car ( still have it ). Then I stepped up it the 70s with an Associated 1/8th nitro pan car ( still have it ). Had a Veco 19 in it. I raced oval and road courses. Back then about all we could get was a Futaba 2 chnl box TX that had a wheel on the front. We mounted a gutted Parma slot car pistol grip to the back of it. made some linkage and viola, throttle and brakes !! Still have that too ... lol
It looks like you predate me a little bit. I started with that same radio too in '83. But my first car was the Associated RC500. You might remember these "famous" drivers I used to race with in my local club. They were Team Associated drivers, Pete and RePete Fusco. In '87 RePete took the world championship in Holland. After that we all switched to Serpent Excels and BMT's. I switched to the Serpent.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
flatout->

Good thread, takes me back to the days of mech speed controllers and having to wait 12 hrs for one run lol. My first car was a Hornet bought to me by my mum for my 15th birthday after much pestering, she then bought me a luncbox for my following bday which I later swapped for a Blackfoot, I then swapped that for a Hotshot, which I eventually swapped for a nearly new Monster Beetle. I think the Tamiya Supershot was my dream car, I still think it's the most beautiful and one of the most sophisticated buggies ever built. If Tamiya did a re-release of it I would buy it in a heartbeat.

http://classictamiyarc.com/tamcars23.html

http://www.vintagercweb.com/ads/supershot_ad1.jpg
Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
rageworks

COX 049 Dune buggy-1968
COX 049 57 Chevy dragracer-1970
I can still rember a house full of nitro smoke.
Maybe that is why I like to wear 40% for aftershave.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:12 PM
techrtr

My first r/c car was a Dodge Challenger made by a company called Jerobee. I paid a heck of a lot of money for it in the late 70's. It was really a hokey setup compared to the Tamiya kits that I discovered after I bought the Jerobee. The transmitter took one of those big, square lantern batteries. Parts were pretty much impossible to find. I ended up throwing it out after it stopped working. Wish I had it now for a collectors item.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:31 PM
js75231

I have a 1993 VINTAGE TRAXXAS SRT TRX FOR SALE ON EBAY FOLLOW THIS LINK TO SEE ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5839&rd=1&rd=1 )

DO NOT LET THIS CHANCE PASS YOU UP FOR YOU KNOW YOU WILL PROBALY NEVER GET ANOTHER CHANCE IN YOUR LIFE

This car is brand new it has never been put togather. it has been in my closet in the box for the last 14 years. It is about 10% done, I guess. This is a classic car you do not see them like this anymore. Collector's Drea.

Thank you and please look. I will have a 1993 Associated RC10 listed on Ebay in the near future, so keep checking back on that. hopefully by the next week.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Cyanotic

About 1970 or maybe 69 it was'nt RC but a tether line Sprite Indy Car. Sent off 180 bottle cap liners for it. Trashed it eventually. Wish I still had it, saw one in an "Antique" store a cupla yrs ago for 350 dollars.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: r1p_s4w

I remember cox put a .049 into a car. You tied it to a tree or something and it rans circles like a mutha!!! maybe 1970 or 71? I was into choppers then
Cox also had a two channel RTR .049 powered GTP car. I remember it had to be started with this weird zip starting thing and the carb was nothing but a little aluminum box that had a brass bar inside of it which would be pulled in and out to increase/decrease the throttle. It was a cool little car but I never had much luck getting it started. It didn't help that my parents wouldn't get new glow plugs for it. Years later I converted it to electric power with a standard 540 can motor and Tekin ESC. That thing was a blast.

The car that brings back the biggest memories for me is the Tamiya Bullhead. I remember saving up all my Christmas and Birthday money to get one. I had just enough money to buy it right after my birthday but had to order some cheap radio system. It all came, but since the plugs were different (and I knew nothing about these things being a kid) I plugged the radio system into the Tamiya MSC only to find that I burnt out the receiver. My parents called the place we ordered it from (out of an ad in RCCA) and they were good enough to send me a new Futaba radio system at no extra charge. It was a really nice thing to do for a kid who had no money. If only I could remember where I ordered that from, I'd love to give them all my business today.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM
lbshelfqueen

oh what a thread to find!!

my first was in 1987, the newly realesed tamiya lunchbox!! i bought a pumin body set for that.. then it seemed that every birthday or christmas i would get another kit, hornet, blackfoot, frog, thundershot, then buy that time i had grown up a bit and was bought a clodbuster and i still have it!! recently restored it with a new body and wheels and cleaned the rest up a bit now its mint!! and lives on a shelf!

thats my new hobby now, building shelf queens!
re re lunchbox
gold lunchbox
metalic midnight pumpkin
mini (m03) mr bean replica
beetle(m04) herbie replica
vintage clod
superclod
madbull
tt01 silvia

just bought a NIB bullhead but cant find the right colour to paint yet ts-19 metalic blue
Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Mouton

Cars that bring back memories?

As far as I can remember, I have always had some sort of toy grade RC. I do remember a Friday in second grade when my dad picked me up and told me we were going to do something special that weekend. That Saturday we went to a local club that made a 1:10 OR indoor track at a school gym every Saturday. They had all sorts of cars there, mostly Tamiyas. There were SRBs, Holiday Buggies, Sand Rovers and several others I do not remember.

They had cars that you could rent "by the pack". I remember driving one of their Tamiya Holiday Buggies. I had never driven on a track before and never togehter with so many others at the same time. It was difficult but fun, immensly fun! Needöess to say, that was truly something "special" and I suppose my father realised that introducing me to that world would cost him a car or two. It did not take long before I had a Frog and a Grasshopper. I later got a Kyosho Scorpion, that together with the Frog, stayed on long since the Grasshopper was sold.

Those were my early cars. My friends also had some, Subaru Brats, Hornets, Wild Willy's, Grasshoppers, later on also some Clod Busters and Midnight Pumpkins. Kyosho was also common, I remember friends driving Pegasus, Icarus and Optima (the first one). Those also bring back lots of memories. I do remember Marui too but only from the shops, the older guys at our clubs never liked them. They were more into Tamiya, Kyosho and Team AE, later Schumacher got popular.

Then there were the cars that I dreamt of and wanted as child. The Tamiya Toyota4x4 (Hilux), Blazing Blazer, Audi quattro (cheifly because we had a real Audo quattro at the time) and the Sand Scorcher.

That Saturday at the track was back in 1983 and I still like RC. I am more into scale detail nowadays. And yes, I still have a Scorpion (albeit not the same as my first, which got stolen). I am also fortunate enough to have two Audi quattros a Sand Scorcher and a Hilux - and I run all my Tamiyas!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
lbshelfqueen

oh yeah!!

although mine are shelf queens they do run, all have period hop-ups too, the original cod is by far my faverite, it has an external chassis brace, half inch high lift kit, aluminium anti-rotation brackets, bullhead internal chassis brace, full ball bearings, even has the tamiya flashing unit that is listed as a hop-up on the side of the box,
the beetle and mini just have metal bearings and a sport tuned motor but the mini also has delrin high speed gears, the gold LB has yellow cva shox, headlights, metal bearings and a sport tuned motor. pumkin has black cva's, metal bearings, headlights, and a novak ss5800 brushless set up. damn it moves!!
bullhead is getting 2 flashing units, metal bearings, external chassis brace, aluminium anti rotation brakets, high lift kit, and 2 reconditioned technigold motors, the rear one has to be advanced 180 degrees to get the right power output, im thinking of running this on 8.4volts too.
the rest are all stock apart from metal bearings.

all have servos, recievers and chrystals in them. i have 3 handsets that i mix and match to run them
Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM
silverj

I still have it and still drive it once in a while, though it is very very brittle. It's an original Monster Beetle and I got it when I was seven, i am now 28!!! I love this car more than all ten of my others, just because it started it all. This is its present condition, no hop-ups ever, still has the original mechanical speed control, Blackfoot rims and tires, and worn plum out!!

Name:	Pn37689.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	820008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45500.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	820009  
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM
SOILWORK

The Tamiya Blackfoot and Clodbuster. The Blackfoot was my very first RC , always wanted a Clodbuster when I was a kid but I couldn't afford it. A couple of years later, I purchases a Traxxas Sledgehammer in kit form. I was always a big fan of the monster Trucks I would see in the Towwer hobbies catalog when they carried Kyosho. I would look at the catalog for hours wanting the Big Brute and USA-1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.