Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Great New RCU Feature - Check it out!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Great New RCU Feature - Check it out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Nitroaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great New RCU Feature - Check it out!!!

RCU just instituted a great new feature - now you own a part of RCU yourself!!!!

Simply type your screen name followed by rcu dot com.

Such as nitroaddict.rcuniverse.com

Make up your own webpage - if it doesn't work, try typing in your member number instead of your screen name. Bugs still being worked out. You can check mine out in the mean time to see how it works!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...fm?memid=61391

Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: Great New RCU Feature - Check it out!!!

isn't anyone interested in this? Post link's to your own webpages here at RCU.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Ahab

well I can tell you mine works and it seems like a funky feature. but I am not really sure of its value (sorry)
Old 07-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Nitroaddict

I appreciate the comments, regardless of how you feel - input is still welcome.

Primaryly - it can be used as a personal RC webpage where the user can literally "get a piece of RCU" and share their Profile area with other members using their own username in the domain.

Our member lookup tool and ratings links throughout the market are also linked to this new area.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Ahab

Will everyones page always have the same 'look and feel' or will there be options to personalise your page in the future?

Will blogs be moderated? I assume RCU Rules will still apply, but will anyone be checking? - I dont know how happy i would be about someone going through what is essenitialy my "diary" and asking me to re-word sections ( I LJ so it is a moot point for me personaly, but the question is bound to come up)

will the link to the users profile (ie the old way of looking up a users details: clicking on their name) eventualy lead to the extranet page? or will the new features, such as Blog be appearing on the member profile page?

Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Nitroaddict

Ahab - we are still working out the details - but you should be able to link from your profile to the new webpage.

As for the blog - no one will be editing the blog persey, just remember that this is a child friendly site, so avoid any racist comments, curse words, or adult material.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: Ahab

Will everyones page always have the same 'look and feel' or will there be options to personalise your page in the future?

Will blogs be moderated? I assume RCU Rules will still apply, but will anyone be checking? - I dont know how happy i would be about someone going through what is essenitialy my "diary" and asking me to re-word sections ( I LJ so it is a moot point for me personaly, but the question is bound to come up)

will the link to the users profile (ie the old way of looking up a users details: clicking on their name) eventualy lead to the extranet page? or will the new features, such as Blog be appearing on the member profile page?

You can personalize your page by uploading a photo of yourself. The section is intended to be an outpost for guys. The method of getting to your site (e.g. username.rcuniverse.com) is a convenience so you can pass it along to your friends etc. Users can always find you by clicking the "Search" button and doing a member lookup or sliding your mouse over the RCCommunity button and selecting the member lookup link.

No need to moderate the blogs. You can delete any comment posted by anyone and ONLY you are allowed to post original messages in your blog.

Not sure what "extranet page" you are referring to. Clicking on a user's name from the member lookup takes you to his Profile tab. From there, you can read all about the guy.

As to the value of this, here's what I see:

[ul][*] You can share your collection of R/C models with the world (coming soon, users will be able to look up all members who own the same model!)
[*]You can research what products are being used with other products (you can do this now in the product guide, but we will harvest the additional data we get to publish "Recommended Product Combos")[*]You can view another member's ratings in the market[*]You can view that member's gallery[*]You can view that member's contributions to the site (e.g. ratings, editorials etc.)
[*]ALL IN ONE PLACE!!
[/ul]

If you don't see value in the service, that's fine, but we think it has some powerful community benefits that most guys will like!! Thanks for your questions and comments.

Michael
Old 07-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Ahab

I think I may have been slightly unfair in my assessment of this new feature. I came accross the thread off the back of a "heated discussion" in the office about web developers using features because they were there, rather than because they had any real use - and then expecting us to support them once the go live.
From the point of view of someone who does nearly all of his RC based discussion on RCU the advantage of the personal URL is not quite so clear when there is a handy link to the users gallery and personal info sitting there on the site.

I can see one very distinct advantage, by giving an easy way to link to your gallerys etc. you will make it easier for people to link here from other forums, and perhaps increase RCU membership that way...

sorry if I came accross overly negative about the feature. perhaps it has its uses after all.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:48 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

No sweat, Ahab. I am making an enhancement to it as we speak. Users will be able to order the display of their models (users with a bunch of models will like this).

We are very sensitive to user needs when we create something. Our hope with this is one of data aggregation and use by members and just fun (showing off what you have).

Thanks again.

Michael
Old 07-12-2005, 07:17 AM
dudecat

I like it. This is really cool. Nice job with the new feature[sm=thumbup.gif]