Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savage Clutch Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 05:56 AM
Tudogs
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Clutch Shoes

Maybe you gents could explain why the shoes on the 4.6 are selectively melting spur gears?

Tudogs
Old 08-25-2005, 01:46 PM
HPI Staff

Default RE: Savage Clutch Shoes

Melted Spurs could be caused by any of the following:

Clutch slipping too much (overheats clutchbell and spur)

Gear mesh too tight or too loose

Brake set too tight

Damage from break-in (overheated from high idle while standing still)

Loose engine mount

Missing screws in engine mount or support plates

Slipper not set tight enough

Worn teeth on clutchbell

Old 09-11-2005, 07:54 PM
CaliberX

I am also having problems with the slipper clutches metling.

There are no missing screws in the engine mount. The mesh is perfect. The clutch bell and shoes are working properly. yada yada yada.

The cause of my failures are due to the slipper clutch slipping too much, heating up the shaft and metal section of the slipper clutch assembly. I am progressively tightening the slipper clutch, however, after snapping a dog bone after a hard landing, I am doing so with a bit of fear.

After a lack of support for old kits, inacurate turn around times quoted at the service shop after my grenading an engine, purchasing of new dog bones with cracks straight from the package, and the slipper clutch problems, I decided to make a switch to another manufacturer.

I love the Savage 4.6SS when is works, this slipper clutch is a pain that I hope to tame. I will be looking away from HPI for after market products. I just purchased a Traxxas product and I am impressed with the thoughtfulness that went into the truck (JATO). Small items like charging jacks, much better slipper clutch system, and actual support has made me a convert. I missed putting the kit together, but I could not justify supporting HPI with my hard earned dollars.

As far as my situation goes, HPI dropped the ball. I tend to be very loyal and was really looking forward to get the 18SS MT2, and many others.

I hope that HPI realise the problems they are having and adjust themselves accordingly. Maybe some years down the road, I will forgive and forget and get another HPI product. I just don't see that day coming anytime soon at this time.

CaliberX

Old 09-22-2005, 11:42 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The stock clutch shoes are very poor. I have only had one problem with my Savage 4.6SS and that was I melted my first spur gear. My clutch bell was getting hotter then my motor do to the stock shoes slipping. I put a set of Nova alloy shoes in and have not had any problem since. Some people are better of with a RTR until they have to work on it.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: HPI Staff

Melted Spurs could be caused by any of the following:

Clutch slipping too much (overheats clutchbell and spur)

Gear mesh too tight or too loose

Brake set too tight

Damage from break-in (overheated from high idle while standing still)

Loose engine mount

Missing screws in engine mount or support plates

Slipper not set tight enough

Worn teeth on clutchbell

An old thread but I just found it...

HPI if you are still reading this... That composite clutch slipped with the .25. It REALLY slips with the .28. How long until there is something usable available OEM? What is the thinking with the composite?

I have videos of a stock 25 that can be seen to literally get faster as the tank drains (big suprise there) but the wheelies disappear and launches become mushy. It is slipping behind the stock engine.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Frost_

*crickets*
Old 04-26-2008, 12:32 AM
gmanrc

how do you take the clutch shoes off it looks triky????????
Old 04-26-2008, 12:38 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

gman...use this tool. I bought it a couple years ago, and now I don't know what I'd do without it:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJKN2&P=ML
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 PM
papax5p

A Main Hobbies is a good source for parts for the Savage. I had problems with my slipper clutch the 2nd week and bought a new one from them and have had no problem with that. I did break almost every stock dogbone ( sheared them in half) but bought the upgrade ones from A main Hobbies and no problem so far.