Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Bring back the old days of racing!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Foggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring back the old days of racing!!

I have been racing now for over 20 yrs! I really miss when you could just pick up your car blow of the dust and take it down to the track and race it with your friends and have FUN!! You didn't have to worry about what battery you had in or what ultra fine setting you had on your suspension etc etc! With the introduction of some of the old Tamiya retro cars as re-releases, I would love to see some clubs introduce a retro class for the people who just want go and have a race with there friends, and not have to worry about how much money they have to spend just to look at getting into the a mains!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77725.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	395257  
Old 01-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Access

Default RE: Bring back the old days of racing!!

Also bring back the original idea behind stock motors where there was just one stock motor that was inexpensive, commonly avaliable and low maintainance.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Foggy

Absolutely!!! I think we are a victim of your own success!! If you take into consideration how much it cost to get into racing now compared to 20 yrs ago you can see why there is a decrease in numbers! I remember going to a normal club day 15 - 20 yrs ago and there would be up to 100 people turn up some times!!! How many do we get now??
Old 01-25-2006, 08:49 PM
nitros_rule

yeah i really want to race but its too expensive..it would be awesome if you could just go down and drive on the track aswell...only track iv got cost 15 bucks just to enter
Old 01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Rising Storm 666

I agree, this hobby has changed so much since I started as well. Maybe if I had more money things would be different. But as it is all my money goes to a wife, kids, house, dog, kids again and then maybe my hobby... are we just getting old?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Foggy

yes we are getting old!!! []But that doesnt mean we have to stop doing what we enjoy! when I finely get the time to go for a race (after mowing the lawn, bathing the dog, painting the house, washing the car and any other crap my wife can think of to keep me home) I don't want to be blown away by some one who has just spent a million dollars! I know that's what happens in all forms of motor racing, but we started racing RC because we couldn't afford the real thing!!!!! I just think it would be great for the clubs to have a retro class for all the old farts like us and anyone who just wants to have a bit of fun and win every now and then!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Rising Storm 666

LOL - I agree with you 100% Foggy! I will always find time for this hobby, I hope my kid likes it as much as I do when he gets older. Maybe we should start a retro class racing circut.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Foggy

Yeah that sounds great you get your side together and I will get my side together and we will have a Australia V USA shoot out!!!!All jokes aside I have tried to get my son involved but he is entering the sport when, if you haven't got the money you might as well stay at home, and that's not fair!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Rising Storm 666

OK then go USA! My son is too young, but very, soon. No it's not fair, and hopefully things will change, but chances are unfortunately that they will not. I just want him to enjoy the hobby and race if it is possible and affordable. I am serious when I say that maybe retro class racing should come back. That would be fun. We can all bring out our vintage cars/trucks
Old 01-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Foggy

Absolutely!!!! better than sitting on the shelf collecting dust! I have just been checking out the Tamiya club web sight! (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/default.asp) Oh my god that brings back some great memories. you have to look at the old pro mo videos, they are a classic!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:41 AM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shoot i still race and bash old school most of my cars even have vintage esc im using new motors and bats tho i just placed 3 overall in truggy class at my local track with the car on the far left
rc10 truggy, suped up rc10,rocket boosted rc10, losi xx, tamiya orignal super willy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89874.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	395703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19255.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	395704  
Old 01-26-2006, 11:07 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see something like a "retro stock" racing class. That's probably the only way you'd ever see me on a track. Kinda reminds me of the full-scale "Legends" class somehow. Oh, well, I suppose it's a moot point since I'd need a TRACK before I could race...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I like where your heads are at... I am a true retro fan as well.

Get some old Frogs, Hotshots, Hornets on the track. Specify a few Electronic Speed Controls (entry level Duratrax, Traxxas, Futaba or something not to exceed $45) with a specified closed endbell stock 540 motor and specified battery, say a 1500NiMH 6 cell pack UNmatched.

Only allow gearing, shock, tire and basic drivetrain upgrades (e.g. dogbones, bearings) otherwise all stock. Basic AM/FM radio sets only- no spread sprectrum or PCM allowed.

That could get ANYONE in competition for <$250 total, and I am talking charger, radio, servos, the whole bit.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:52 AM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so far my rc 10s have cost me less than 400 for all three including elect and motor
the most expensive one is the truggy but thas cause it was a buggy and i had to spend 60 on parts to convert it

i only have paid 25 for my esc's

ps the local track owner here is doing just what u guys sugg just because of me
and a few other guys, now every sunday there is a vintage class every part on your car must date before 1993 including motor (new bats r ok tho )

id say retro can keep up with the new boys

rc10 with tekin 410s 3300 gp bats and vintage speedworks 350 motor
at 115 bucks not to shabby

http://www.rcpics.net/media/Mov00015.mpg
http://www.rcpics.net/media/Mov00014.mpg
http://www.rcpics.net/media/Mov00013.mpg
http://www.rcpics.net/media/Mov00011.mpg
Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 PM
SOUTHSHORETRASH

I remember my first, and only, "race." I had a Super Champ and I was against a Subaru Brat, a Wild Willy and some other cars. That was long ago, it was basically "run what you brung" because everybody just wanted to get on a track and race.

But I would love a spec off road class. I was thinking about the Tamiya TCS series, but there are only a few races, and none by my house.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

how about specifying the stock friction shocks too?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Foggy

I like those rules Dale! A lot of the new re-release tamiya buggies come with a basic ESC!! I think we should lobby all our local tracks to start such a class!!! If enough of us ask they will have to cater!!!!!