Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC car in water

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:34 PM
skinny1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC car in water

What usually goes bad? The circuit board, motor, both?

Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 PM
125cchyperman

Default RE: RC car in water

I dont really know what you mean by circuit board. If u mean the esc then yes they will go bad but if you have a radio shack car with one of those circuit boards then that will go bad to abd the motor i dont really know possible
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 PM
gunnut

Brushed motors can get wet as long as you clean them. Brushless is not supposed to get wet. speed controls and receivers are the weak areas when it comes to water.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:43 PM
R/C fan-addict

motors with neodymium magnets should not get wet because if they do the magnets will crack and crumble. Only high end brushed and most brushless motors use these magnets. In fact some brushed motors are broken in underwater! The ESC, RX, and servos should be throughly dried out and you'll be fine. In general if you r/c takes a dip quickly turn off all electronics and let them dry out for a few days before turning them on again.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 AM
marshman

My advice to you is DONT. I know this from experiance as i thought i would try to drift my electric car in the wet and ended up killing my ESC.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:07 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I get my boat esc wet I just dry it out and charge the batts at the same time. I would also say, dry the battery out if it gets wet. They tend to rust.

Ryan
Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
happywing

I went through a tiny little puddle and my receiver went kaput. This was from a little splash off the front tire.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 PM
NitroRunner

ive driven my jato through water deeper than the front tires by accident, its still ok.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:37 AM
fredbobjoe
My Feedback: (2)

one time I was playing around in a camp ground with my nitro...there were puddles everywhere...i couldnt resist... anyway, I ran it through the puddle at full speed, and it kinda hydroplaned. It was cool, and the best part, it still works perfectly.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:20 AM
ross_jsy

blown up two nitro engines from sea water( you would think i would learn the first time) but one time i drove through a small stream up to my receiver box and my car was happy
Old 04-22-2006, 12:33 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

I Drive my truck all winter, Ya just have to Water Proof it the best ya Can....Plastic dip works good!

I did my batteries Too,
Old 04-22-2006, 12:42 PM
rc monkey

DONT DRIVE A RC CAR IN WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yesterday i accidently drove my brand new cen mini madness into water up to the top of the wheels. I reversed out and was driving aroud for about another minute and everything seemed fine. Then the car went beserk and went flat out in reverse into a boulder. I ran over but couldnt make the car out under the smoke. I let the smoke clear and looked at the esc. I touched the esc and burt my finger. The esc was so hot that one of the motor wires had unsoldered its self. I made a very expensive mistake and hopefully no one else will. I think the radio is wrecked too. The moral of this story is that rc cars and water dont mix![&o]
Old 04-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Philster

The only moral is that unprepared RC cars and water don't mix. Nitro cars are very easy to prep for water. Most have good tight radio boxes and two servos that need baloons.

As for you electric guys, you might need more prep and will run at higher risk.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:48 AM
ross_jsy

look what i found:

[link]http://www.savagebeast.150m.com/id19.htm[/link]

scroll down to the swimming savage bit. looks a pretty sweet idea but it is soo slow
Old 04-23-2006, 10:03 AM
cavfighter

I landed my T4 in the pool one day messing around with it in the back yard. Well the dog got in the way and I went to miss him and went sailing. It was down there power on for about 15 seconds before I could jump in and disconnect the batt. Well I figured all the electronics were done but I pulled them apart, cleaned them, and let them air dry for a day or so. I put everything back together and my car worked fine. I was amazed and very lucky. Now I will not press my luck anymore lol, and with being brushless I even avoid the lil curb streams on the street. (it wasnt brushless at the time)
Old 04-29-2006, 05:42 PM
s7jstep1

my t4 landed in a small pond behind my house and now as soon as i put power to the esc, it heats up really fast. i think the reciever and the servo are fine but i still need to get another esc.