Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

LST2 vs HPI BAJA 5B

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:35 AM
J_D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LST2 vs HPI BAJA 5B

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

if you were to burn a gallon a day in your trucks and drove everyday.
Do you know anyone who actually goes through this amount of fuel?
key word "If"

"if u run x amount of tanks per day"

but in the long run, maybe not in a year, but definately in the long run u WILL save money on fuel. and it will end up paying for the difference in cost.

+ i love the sound of my 29cc beating down the road much better than the high pitch mosquito noise of a nitro.

also, how long before u need to rebuild / replace ur nitro engine? and how much does that cost?

most gasser engines, if looked after properly will last YEARS.

I think 80% -90% of ppl who own gassers have had nitro backround, and I'm pretty sure most of those people have said "I'm bever going back to nitro ever again" - and I'm the same.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 AM
J_D

a gasser is also suited for ppl who love rc and live in remote areas that dont have a hobby shop, because unleaded, and 2 stroke oil is available pretty much anywhere.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:07 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would spare parts not be harder to get in remote areas for rarer large scale models?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

Nitro SUX!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:44 AM
J_D

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

Would spare parts not be harder to get in remote areas for rarer large scale models?
u can have any spare part mailed to ur house, from any online store....

to have nitro fuel mailed to ur house, would cost ALOT since its flammble and "Danagerous goods", u'd have to pay for hazmat insurance, ect ect. which again adds to ur fuel costs
Old 06-03-2006, 07:01 AM
mkincy

i have invested WAY over $1000 in my 1/8 scale buggy, and i pay $30 for a gallon of fuel. so i'd have to agree with JD and the other folks who talk about the cost of fuel offsetting the initial purchase. and as i said before the only issue i have with a 1/5 is a place to race it.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Henry William French

I guess your right, I can't really afford to go buy a gallon of nitro today so I'll go the smart route and spend $1000 on a car so I can save $15 every 2 months when I need a gallon to run it. "Save thousands of dollars on fuel in less than a year" lol lol lol
Old 06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: Henry William French

I guess your right, I can't really afford to go buy a gallon of nitro today so I'll go the smart route and spend $1000 on a car so I can save $15 every 2 months when I need a gallon to run it. "Save thousands of dollars on fuel in less than a year" lol lol lol
where are you getting a gallon of nitro fue for only $15! Try $30. Then as JD said it costs a lot to ship fuel if you live in a remote area. And if you only burn a half gallon a month then you wouldn't save anything. Nitro does have more mantienence, after run oil, rebuilds, and after a few gallons a new engine which gas engines do not have. I would really like to get a Baja but that's as much as I spend in R/C in a year so I won't.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Henry William French

nitro fuel is 20 a gallon but they are saying pump gas with the 2 stroke oil is only about 5 a gallon so there is a 15 dollar difference. Therefore saving 15 bucks. I guess if I couldn't tune a nitro engine worth a damn then I would not like them a whole lot either. To me a guy with a "pump gas" car has "I can't figure out nitro cars" written all over him.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
scottywilkes

well i have a nitro evader and i can tune that perfectly fine great low, mid and top end i jsut want a gasser cause i want to get something different that i can play with at schools and have 30+ minute runtimes and also my mate is getting one and he can tune nitro engines to he even ports them himself with great out comes. Im jsut saying not all people who have petrol cars cant tune it is personal preference me i like my ST for racing with at local bmx tracks and stuff and the baja will be for what the ST can not do.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 PM
R/C fan-addict

nitro fuel is 20 a gallon but they are saying pump gas with the 2 stroke oil is only about 5 a gallon so there is a 15 dollar difference. Therefore saving 15 bucks. I guess if I couldn't tune a nitro engine worth a damn then I would not like them a whole lot either. To me a guy with a "pump gas" car has "I can't figure out nitro cars" written all over him.
ok nitro is not $20 is is $30 and maybe $25 if you're lucky. I would love to have $20 nitro so you have a really awesome LHS. Pump gas is not $5, try $3 so that brings the cost differenece to $27 a gallon. I can tune my nitro engine fine and I would still love to own a gasser. I mean it's 30 inches long and makes a ton of noise and its cheaper running costs than nitro! What's not to love?... cept of course the huge upfront cost which is preventing me from getting one anytime soon...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Henry William French

Well whatever. 3 bucks a gallon plus cost of 2stroke oil. Didn't you read that the first time? You sure posted it again. Everyone go ahead and buy a gasser for a ton of money just so you can say you don't get ripped off on 20 dollar a gallon nitro fuel. I'm gonna go and buy all the necessary machines and tooling so I can make my own pens so I can save tons of money by not having to buy bic pens at the store... I should save thousands of dollars in 1 year alone.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:24 PM
mkincy

Great idea on the pens, better yet though. You can buy a whole tanker truck full of ink for a few thousand dollars, then just dip a feather in it to write. It should be a lifetime supply.

Also i ussualy buy three gallons of nitro a month. thats $1080 + tax=1169.10 per year. I think i could nearly save $1000 in a year with gassers.

GL on the pen thing.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Roscco

To me a guy with a "pump gas" car has "I can't figure out nitro cars" written all over him.
Why do you insist on trying to insult people that run gassers? [EDITED].I'd bet my last $ that around 80-90% of gasser owners come from a nitro background and were more than able to figure them out.

I run nitro just now, i can tune no problem and my engines run sweet as nitros can do. As i've taken a bit of a salary increase recently i'm looking at getting a gasser, to me it seems like the next logical step to progress in the hobby. Where i stay there isn't any organised racing, so its mostly just friend messing about. I'm smiling hard looking forward to running over savages and stuff as its gonna be a change, not a competition.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here, the nitro is anywhere from $26-30 per gallon, the gasoline is around $3 per gallon, and the glow plugs around $5 each. Of course, there are no glow plugs in the gasoline/oil mix R/Cs and the tires usually last a lot longer. 1/4 scale tires and wheels can last an entire race season as well as a spark plug. There are no starter boxes, no starter box batteries, no glow plug ignitor, no glow plug ignitor charger, no optional "must have" two speeds, and so on. A lot less charging going on....

Just wondering, but do you own either an LST2 or an Baja5B? My guess is that I probably also own more R/Cs than you do and that includes electric, nitro, and gasoline/oil mix--different R/Cs for different applications. My first R/C was also nitro, as well as one of my last if the nitro heli is included. The Baja5B was my last R/C purchase. If I don't own more R/Cs than you do, why not update your "MyModels" section and "Gallery"?

In my opinion, both "nitro" and "gasoline/oil" mix RCs have their pros and cons. The choice is also simple, if someone doesn't like one or the other, don't purchase it.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Timmahh
Banned

it all about personal use. if you only burn a gallon a month, then the 1g start up may not be worthwhile. but with more use thos figures change drastically. i for one plan on being a toys r us kid until they pry the stinking controller outta my dead cold hands.... i will always have nitro, i will also from this point forward always have gassers. may even get into elecs when the batery systems improve more in the next 2 or 3 yrs.
next project< after i get the Baja ofcourse is my 47 inch Hydro Plane. or i may just start it this week while i m in holding patern for my lhs to get them in...... im going to start with installing a ThunderTiger 3000S into 32cc airplane motor into it!!! im hopeing for over 80mph. then i ll probably or more than likely, will start with the 46 in Prather Deep Vee and install the 3000s there, and build a 35cc gasser for the Hydro to break 100+mph.
as BnJ stated, Different Toys for Different uses. but in makeing a purchase of ANY rc, fuel MUST be considered, not only for now but for the long run unless you plan on a yr or 3 then giving it up as many do. Funny thing is, the Majority the "give up" is normally due to fustration and disdane they feel set in by Nitro Fuel Issues, or cost of running Cost of repairs ect . and Mostly this is due to the fact the probably 85% of the nubs that start with a combustable fuel sorce vehicle, start with nitro, not gas.... simple numbers. math and science are a great thing.
Timmahh
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

i would go with the Baja just because nitros require a bit more maintenance, and with the baja you can run up to 20+minutes. if i had the money, id go with the baja. plus, when you take your real car to the gas station, might as well fill your baja up right next to your 1:1 car (i can imagine that in my head, looks amazingly funny LMAO)
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM
scottywilkes

yeah i had plans for that AznRacer but seeing im only 16 living in Australia i dont have a real car yet lol. But me and my mate had the idea of driving both of our bajas down there and filling them up see what the pump person sais lol. Anyways i do go through alot of fuel cause when i get home from college i need something to make me feel exilerated so i take the nitro evader up to the many schools near by so i think the baja would suit me the best. I like jsut tearing round grass fields and big open drt fields not so muhc the jumping but i would stil like to jump occasionally. I can jump the evader big cause i have worked out how to control the evader in the air as to land it right so i have a fast track truck and a big, very reliable buggy sounds good

Thanks GUYS CHEERS
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM
-Inverted-

and with the baja you can run up to 20+minutes.
More like 45 minutes!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Henry William French

The HPI baja buggy video and pics I've seen seem to show the car roll over easy. Even on this thread the pic shows the baja trying to flip in a banked turn!?! HPI Baja car reminds me of the full scale radio controlled car Mythbusters made.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Roscco

Having read almost every thread i've seen relating to the baja, most people seem to feel due to its long wheelbase its pretty stable, especially at speed.

On a side note, who would have thought this thread called LST2 vs Baja5b would have caused so much debate and interest
Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Timmahh
Banned

well when i see posts like this
RE: LST2 vs HPI BAJA 5B - 6/6/2006 3:54:43 AM

Henry William French
Super Contributor

Status: offline Well whatever. 3 bucks a gallon plus cost of 2stroke oil. Didn't you read that the first time? You sure posted it again. Everyone go ahead and buy a gasser for a ton of money just so you can say you don't get ripped off on 20 dollar a gallon nitro fuel. I'm gonna go and buy all the necessary machines and tooling so I can make my own pens so I can save tons of money by not having to buy bic pens at the store... I should save thousands of dollars in 1 year alone.

and
i see a closed minded individual who is so wrapped up in his own bs, hes unwilling to see the light in front of his eyes. if you have nothing to contribute, then do that please NOTHING> besides if your getting nitro in California for 20 a gallon, your stealing it or buying the cheapest stuff on the self... OR USEING PLANE FUEL!!!!
Timmahh
Old 06-08-2006, 04:56 AM
scottywilkes

man this sucks the place where i was gonna get the baja have risen there price to 1500 Australian from 1350 Australian and i cannot spend that much bugger. It looks like i might have to get the LST2 instead but i kinda want the baja lol.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 AM
vexedrex

do any of you people drive a car? why do you all complain about fuel for a remote control car, $3 a gallon a rc car will run a month if not longer on it. A real car, 1/2 day if your lucky.

If you all complain about the price of petrol for a rc car you must all be on a pension or something or are unable to hold a job, grow up, its only 30 cents a tank or 40 or whatever if you have nitro. By the way i have a baja with a race ported oneills brothers reed motor and the ammount of petrol this thing drinks has mad me get a second job. lol....it's a joke!
Old 05-04-2008, 03:24 AM
savtraxx

WOOOO stop fighting let me say one word....baha

BWARPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPBWARPPPPPPPPPPPP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.