Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

hobby shop owners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
savvy-racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobby shop owners?

hey people, i was thinking about open a hobby shop with indoor and outdoor track, but only sells rc stuffs, no comic books or stuffs like that. The indoor and outdoor track is for both nitro and electric. i was thinking about pretty good size track, but not a huge one. do you guys have any ideas of how would it cost to open one. thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM
TheLinkster

Default RE: hobby shop owners?

To bad it would be to far away for me but good luck.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
mkincy

do you own the building, or are you going to lease one?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 PM
savvy-racer

lease one. thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 10:40 PM
mkincy

well in that case, i would say the hardest part is going to be finding a suitable building where the owner and city ordinances will allow such activities. once you find it and know how much it will cost. it will be a simple matter of what types and how much stock you want to carry. the inventory could be as cheap or as expensive as your willing to make it. all you will need to get reseller discounts is the store front, a DBA or bussiness license and a tax ID number, which both require minimal fee's
Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a tidbit of info...

The track that I used to race at was hosted in a warehouse type facility that was large enough for a 110 x 70 foot track plus drivers' stand and plenty of pit space. I believe the lease on this building was $7500/month.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:13 PM
savvy-racer

wow thats costs alot so i don't know.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Dudelive

If you are thinking of opening a hobby shop of your own ask around the surrounding cities where there are hobby shops at to see what they are paying for rent. The amount paid will be according to location, which in your case you may not be looking for a real busy area where the rent will be high anyway because if you have races at a track you would want that where it would not cause problems with noise and etc.

The one thing to check on is the way you will be buying products for resale. As you already know people can and do buy a lot from on-line stores so that will be hard to deal with. You will need to build up a buisness from people with whom you will sell cars, trucks, boats and etc to. Buying the products at a real good price will be the hardest to get setup. Start small and then get big....Good luck.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The small business administration offers courses for beginning businesses.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 PM
dem

Boy what we need are more tracks-no matter where we are. BUT before you dive into this Savvy-Racer may I suggest you slow down and do a full fledged business plan. You can get a copy off of the small bus web. A business plan will allow you to formally identify your expenses, what revenue you will be getting, etc. It is key that you have an idea of how much is needed for start up as well as how much it will cost you per week to keep the doors open and how much you should be getting in (estimated income from business) The one thing folks forget is the last part- an escape plan. Yes you need to know how, and have written out how you would divest yourself of the business, such as returning stock to vendors (sometimes they will do this rather than have to go to court during bankruptcy hearings) getting out of your lease, etc. etc. Most good book stores will a planner for a modest cost.
By the way- a really nice track with a nice store just closed its doors in Charlotte. It was my understanding that he got too nice a place, in too nice an area and the rent was eating up all his profit, plus a lot out of pocket. All of this needs to be investigated.
This is not meant to scare you off, hopefully to make you do your homework before losing money.
Dave
Old 08-04-2006, 06:25 PM
jgeck90

Here too i wana open a Hobby Shop here in So Cal when i get older...i know of the perfect spot too cuz i have to drive 30 miles to get to a hobby shop or to get to a better one its like 45 miles away! so ya somewhere in Lake Elsinore...i plan to have 10-20 acres YIKES thats going to cost hundreds of thousands haha but ya i will have a track on my property for friday night races and stuff i also ride dirt bikes so i will have a few dirt bike tracks also at the time i have 5 acres and would prolly be enough but i want alottt of land! i am 16 at the time i plan to name it So Cal Hobbies
Old 08-04-2006, 08:41 PM
savvy-racer

thanks for the adviced huys, i think i jump on this too fast, but i'll probably go ask around for everything before i'll open a hobby shop and thanks again.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:03 AM
2DayAir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savvy-Racer,

I live in East Lansing, God knows we need a new hobby shop in the area now that Riders is gone. Just For Fun RCs and Comics(was the Hobby Hub) in Frandor Plaza doesn't carry much stock. I think a hobby shop like Dirtburners down in Commerce with a nice indoor dirt track would do pretty well in the Lansing area. Best of luck to you if you choose to pursue it.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
AWDrift

Savvy-Racer, try Dirt Burners (www.dbrrc.com). They have an indoor track and is hopefully around ur area.