Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Jeff29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Whats up. I just bought my first RC car (havent recieved it though) and just had a couple of questions which to you guys it may seem dumb, but to me are like something ive never known. Anyways, i bought the HPI Nitro RTR RS4 3 with the Stratus body, and just had a couple of questions like, How do i break in the engine? what kind of fuel do i use? cuz i heard that these are things that if you do wrong, can mess up your car. Also painting the car, What is the best way to do that? Also i just bought the car, and somebody told me i needed an ignitor that is rechargeable, glow plugs, and i really dont know what all this stuff is. So if anyone can give me any tips or advice, i'll appreciate it, thanks

Jeff
Old 01-04-2003, 12:46 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Newbie

How do i break in the engine?

When you get your car you should also get a complete set of instructions which will include how to break in your engine. FOLLOW THOSE INSTRUCTIONS for proper engine break in.

Some links that help explain engine break in.

http://teamrcv.com/article.php?sid=34

http://teamrcv.com/article.php?sid=48

What kind of fuel do i use?

I would check with your local hobby store to see what they sell. Some guys use 15 % and others use 20% nitro. It depends on what you intend to use your car for.

A glow plug is installed in the cylinder of the engine to ignite the fuel when you start the engine with a glow plug igniter. The glow plug igniter has a shaft that you connect to the glow plug so you can get the glow plug to glow and ignite the fuel. Glow igniter's come with either an alkaline battery or a rechargeable battery. Go for the rechargeable battery as it will save you money in the long run.

Info about glow plugs.

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/glowplugs.asp

Painting:

http://www.rctech.net/articles/paint...ntedmyst.shtml

Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2003, 01:10 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Ok try this..

I feel ya.. I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago..hehe

First of all RESEARCH the internet. You'll be amazed how much info you can learn by spending time.
This forum itself is a great start! Try to real all the posts.

Break in is a VERY important thing.. yet quite simple.
The manual has step by step instructions. follow them carefully!

Basically heres the gist:
Idle the engine for 2 tanks of fuel making sure to cool between tanks
Then you run the car at slow speed for about 5 tanks

Then you gradually increase to full speed.. Your done!

FUEL:
I like to use 18% fuel and 20% nitro...

I'd like to write more.. but I'm at work.. gtg..
-ram
Old 01-04-2003, 04:11 AM
silverkorn

Default Newbie

actually im in midst of breaking in my engine, did the two idle tanks and the first low speed tank, probably went a little too fast but didnt go full throttle. i would have finished the break in today if the weather wasnt so bad outside, calling for 10+ inches of snow, anyway...

the instructions a pretty good. all you really need to go out and buy is fuel, glow plug igniter and 12 AA batteries. you really dont need the fuel bottle but it helps fill the tank fast.

as for fuel i got Trinity Break in blend, 20% nitro and 18% oil. you want an oil percent very high for break in, something over 16% should be ok, and then 14% after break in will be good. personally im not going to change from 20% nitro.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:12 AM
kyokai2

Default Break-question

You have asked questions that have been answered here a LOT, try reading some of the posts here for help and youll get the answers your looking for. One thing that will help get that tight engine started a lot easier, heat the engine up with a heat gun or hair dryer to about 200 or 220 degrees farenheit and the engine will turn much easier. Try not to exceed that temp and try to keep the engine temp as low as possible while running-in the new engine. DONT USE THE SPIT METHOD! Spend 80 bucks and get a temp gun, youll be glad you did. A properly tuned engine should run under 250F, if not your running to lean, you have air leaks, or your running to high percet nitro without shims. Good luck.