Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Help... can somebody give me feedback on Himoto products?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help... can somebody give me feedback on Himoto products?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:55 AM
unit11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... can somebody give me feedback on Himoto products?

can it compete against well known brands? in terms of performance and quality?

http://himotoracing.com/index.php
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Help... can somebody give me feedback on Himoto products?

No , it can`t compete against any well known brands . Himoto products are cheaply made and do not perform well at all . It`s a glorified radio shack car basically .
Old 07-22-2006, 04:00 PM
phoenex1

I have 2 of the HIMOTO cars --Both on road touring cars ---1 nitro and 1 electric. I was concerned about the quality and did some research on the cars ---I researched many of the parts I assumed I would break on a cheap car (haven't broken any yet and I have tried). As I looked, all of the parts were able to be replaced with parts from RedCat Racing or with HPI cars like HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS Kit w/Saleen S7R Body (different part numbers)the HPI is $300+ from Tower Hobbie and the Himoto is $129 on ebay. I changed the body on the HIMOTO electric to an HPI 1968 Camaro and even the dimples on the body matched the HIMOTO car. Check the ebay ads and then look at the HPI ad for the Saleem Car. You make the decision but I think the $$$$ are better in my pocket.

Just to set the record straight --I also have other RC cars Tamaya and Traxx and looking to expand my collection---I try and keep and open mind on new products and don't trash what I don't have. I'm not looking to start a holy war here just my opinion
Old 07-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Onroad cars don`t get the abuse that offroader have with the jumps and obsticals . I have had a Himoto POS and don`t hold up like regular name brands do. Onroad is a whole other balllgame and should not be compared as durability for an offroad .
Old 07-22-2006, 04:21 PM
phoenex1

The man didn't say onroad or off----Just curious what your experience with the brand is?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:04 AM
unit11

any body who have tried to race this against other brands?
cheap sometimes doesnt mean inferior in some cases, i dont know much about RC though....
Old 07-27-2006, 07:30 AM
phoenex1

I agree and it seems the magazines agree also on the products they have tested. I just read an article on the Himoto Torpeda in RCDriver, August 2006 edition. You didn't say if you were looking at on road or off road cars -----I have 2 Himoto on road cars and they are great but I have only read articles on the off road stuff and have no hands on experience.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:51 AM
vtl1180ny

The cheap cars can be good until you hit the track or want to put a more powerful motor in it.

I guess they are filling a gap, especially in the Touring Car part of this hobby. There are no entry level TC's anymore, except maybe the RTR TC4....

Phoenex, where do you run your cars?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:33 AM
boltech

I prosonally have not worked much with the HiMoto cars. but if it's anything like the Smartechs then I say give it a shot. they look like a carbon copy of the RS4. just don't pay anymore than $130 for it. I got the hated Smartech Commando at a deal for $110 with shipping. and I was actually impressed with it for the cost. a few things had to go like the cheap am radio. and the servos. but it's still a very durable decent car. not race worthy but an excellent basher. I

as for going offroad then I say save your money and get a brand name. I don't think these buggies and trucks will hold up to that kind of abuse.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 AM
phoenex1

Hello VTL ---I'm in Melville and I usually just run the on road cars in parking lot near me. I have an E-Maxx that I fool around with indoors in Farmingdale on Conklin Street (Long Island Raceway). I just posted some pictures of my on road 68 Camaro. Just finished it last weekend and thought I would show it off.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
vtl1180ny

Ahhhh.... I turned my old racer (Yok MR4-TC) into a parking lot car and threw the HPI Camaro body on it... I got the mustang body for my son's TC3 but I have to change out the front bumper to make the body fit.

I haven't run at LIR in a while, I'll go up and watch friday night racing to kill some time now and then. I'm more into on road these days and normally race at Willis or occasionally South Shore... I miss racing off road on dirt, not hard packed clay like they are running these days. I used to race off road in the late 80's/early 90's...

I wish I could find a nice big and well kept parking lot to run on...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
phoenex1

there are several very nice parking lots good surfaces along the expressway service road east of 110.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:28 AM
unit11

i'm leaning towards himoto off road, but i want to know about onroads as well
Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
phoenex1

I just read an article on the Himoto Torpeda in RCDriver, August 2006 edition and there is another artice in the September 2006 edition. Best I can do for the off road but if you have any specific questions about the on road cars let me know. Read my post above about the on road cars and HPI. If you compare the Himoto off road stuff with KYOSHO it sure looks like they shop for parts in the same place ---Do the research and you decide.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:00 AM
unit11

thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Roscco

I'd stay away from ANY company who blatantly lies in their advertising.

This is taken straight from their website on the 'RANCHO' 1/8 Monster Truck (which is also called a truggy on another part of the site)
http://himotoracing.com/index.php?ma...s&scale=8&pg=1 I clicked on the truck on the left

Introduction

This is the NEWEST 4-wheel drive off-road ready-to-run buggy style TORNADO w/.27 Infinity Japan Engine Nitro MONSTER TRUCK. This is a 1:8 scale unstoppable nitro power monster truck.

R/C 1:8 SCALE NITRO GAS 4WD RACING OFF-ROAD RACING MONSTER TRUCK FROM "HIMOTO" TORNADO WITH SH27 JAPAN ENGINE AND NEW EXCLUSIVE BODY WHICH IS MORE RESIST TO CRASH THAN PVC BODY!!!

THIS BABY RUNS OVER 85MPH OFF-ROAD ON NITRO-FUEL GAS!!

Kinda says it all really, 85Mph got to be a record.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:06 PM
vtl1180ny

They probably meant Kilometers Per Hour, since the US is one of the only country's still using Miles.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:47 PM
phoenex1

I think Himoto should spend some of those advertizing $$$$$ they are spending in all the magazines and hire someone that speaks english ---Otherwise my experiences with them have been very good and the monthlys seem to really like them.