Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

in all sorts of trouble.....!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:01 AM
auzzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in all sorts of trouble.....!!!

i got my new RS$ 3 evo today

but i havent been sucuessful in starting it

it runs for 20 - 30 seconds and then the engines stops

there is some fuel in the exhaust as well and i cant seem to be tuning the getting anything right..

what am i doing wrong ?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:14 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: in all sorts of trouble.....!!!

1st of all if you are beraking ti in it will most likely be running rich, here is a good guide for engine break in
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2786285/tm.htm read after post #5, fuelmans post

and your problem is it is loading up at idle, dont be afraid to give it gas and drive it around a little bit, you will probably have to lean the needles out a little bit
Old 08-17-2006, 03:55 PM
jpachill1

Apollo is right on. Just one note, you may need to lean the low end needle a bit just to keep it alive at idle. I have found that in almost all engines.

Paul
Old 08-26-2006, 09:55 AM
auzzie

Thank you for informing me about it.............but now i have another and most likely a bigger problem..........

the car was running and suddenly it stopped. then when i tried starting starting it again the there was a sort of a jam in the engine...
the piston when it moves up, touches the spark plug so it cant take a full complete turn and therefore jams there..
i dont know what to do ???
what do you think is the problem here ??
its not working now...!!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 04:25 PM
hpi apollo

your problem is the T-15 engine, they had a batch of bad engines come out from HPI, and the connecting rods were stretching causing problems, the tolerances between the top of the piston and head are minimal so the poor metalurgy in the con rod is probably to blame, thats the only thing i can think of beign the reason if it just now started happening
Old 08-27-2006, 07:24 AM
auzzie

it happened suddenly i mean it was its first run, before that i had only run it idle in a box with the tires above the ground.
It stopped during the run and when i itried to start it again the Roto starter spun in my hand.
the piston totally jammed.
there are no HPI dealers here and i dont know what to do.
i have written several times to the so called HPI customer service and they havent replied yet.
can u suggest me anything ???
Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 AM
hpi apollo

that is the only thing i can think of possibly causing it, here is a link to hpi's customer support
http://hpiracing.com/company/index.php
Old 08-27-2006, 01:45 PM
auzzie

any other engines that hpi has produced that are better and faster then the t-15 ?
Cuz i think it will cost me more to send this engine to the US for repair as compared to buying a new one . (i think DHL charges almost $40 per pound from Pakistan to USA and then another $40 for to get it back)..
Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 PM
hpi apollo

well if you just want to replace the engine, i would suggest getting something like an OS 18 cv-r (run lots of filters for optimal life) or an os 12, the os 18 is $110, nto sure about the os 12
Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
auzzie

i have seen a thunder tiger dealer in Pakistan.........
which one is faster and better and would last longer ?
cuz i can get these here and the parts will also be available...
Old 08-27-2006, 04:17 PM
hpi apollo

well if you can get a thunder tiger engine over there easily with good parts support by all means go for it, i have the os 18 cv-r and it is a very good engine, easy to tune, and engine life is dependant on too many things, run a good fuel with plenty of oil and make sure all the filters are clean without running it lean and it should last you a while
Old 08-28-2006, 05:35 AM
auzzie

i have to say that i seriously thought HPI would be making things without flaws but i am truely disappointed with their quality and then their customer service, they just dont reply..
some people suggested me to buy some other brand but i was impressed with the large range they were offering. i thought that it would be the best but i guess it didnt turn out that way.

I have heard alot about the OS engines and no one says that they arnt good and i am seriously thinking of getting one, any ways what do you think about the HPI's .12R-XS ( http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm ) . i have heard that its really fast.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:09 AM
hpi apollo

if you want a 12r xs then here is the link for it http://www.hpiracing.com/piw4.php?part=1301 but assuming you are running a rotary carb setup you would need a conversion peice for your servo, and a starter box to start the engine, the hpi 12r xs is $156.75 plus shipping to you, or if i were you i would get this $130 OS 12 cv-rx http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXA44&P=7 or thi $110 os 18 cv-rx http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP7&P=ML os has good engines, very reliable, durable, and easy to tune, if i were you i would replace it with an OS, but since you're in pakistan i would run lots of filters and clean them all the time for optmal engine life (its sandy there isnt it?) and make sure you run a fuel with good oil content, i ahve the os 18 cv-rx and its a very good engine and i dont think you would be dissapointed by it, also if you are running 20% fuel, the OS 8 plug is best so maybe get an extra one if you decide to order, hope this helps
Old 08-29-2006, 10:45 AM
auzzie

thank u very much . there were alot of things i didnt know.
right now i am trying to fix the t-15 and at the same time i am thinking about the new engine as well..
is an OS .12 better then the .18 ?? whats the difference between the two. ?? is the HPI 18ss faster then the OS 18??
will the OS be compatible with the 2-speed transmission ??
what extra items would i need to fit the OS into the RS4 3 ??
Old 08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
auzzie

well its dusty out here but not sandy..

i am trying to fix the T-15
i have help from one of my friends. he is a mechanical engineer so hopefully he wont have any problems in the required skills.
the main problem is that the piston touches the spark plug on its way up .. so i was thinking if we could somehow create some room between the two by jacking up the spark plug by putting something under the head where the plug is screwed in (something of the exact shape as the "under-head" so it could raise the plug's level) !!
this way the piston can move freely and perform its functions..
i guess this is what we have to do when we dont have professional assistance.

can u advise me on this issue ?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:43 PM
hpi apollo

any os engine is better than pretty mcuh every toher engine onth e planet, they jsut are, they are durable, reliable, and fairly powerful (beefy internal parts) and the only difference in the os 12 and the os 18 is the 18 has more displacement which will give you more torque, but also use more fuel but not rev as high, if you are wanting a better top speed then go for the higher revving os 12, it will lack more on the low end but have more on top, i know someone who got over 14 gallons on their os 12 cv-rx, as long as you get the threaded shaft and rotary carb everything should just bolt right in place, and yes it will work with the 2 speed if you get the threaded crank, i also recommend upgrading to hpi's racing clutch if you already havent, it will last a long time too

and as for putting the spacer under the head....dont do it, you can shim it like some people would to lower compression, but the rod will only distort more until it breaks, right now the rod bushing probably looks like this () instead of this O assuming that the bushing is where it is stretching at
Old 08-30-2006, 06:05 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

I have written a guide to owning and maintaining a nitro rc car and if you want to PM me with your email adress i could email it to you, and you could give me some feedback on it. If you want, BENJYTHEULTIMATE
Old 08-30-2006, 06:07 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Also, are you suppose to use a copper washer under the glow plug???? If so, make sure its there and possibly add another.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:22 AM
auzzie

MAIL THE GUIDE AT [email protected]

thankx
Old 08-31-2006, 03:26 PM
auzzie

finally the HPI support replied.
they have told me to get in touch with the HPI's European side.

I will fax them tomorrow in their working hours (right now its 1:26 am here)
Lets see what happens !!

Thanks you for telling me what to do and helping me out !