Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hobbytown USA ?

Old 01-07-2003, 10:55 AM
tsim712

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbytown USA ?

I currently have one hobby store in town. It's a little shack on the other side of town with the rudest employees. I bought my RC10 there, but the only help I've received is from this forum.
I just found out we are getting a Hobbytown USA. Should I be excited? Their web page is kinda poor. Hobbytown.com. But they do appear to carry some nitro stuff.
Anyone have any experience with this hobby store.

ts
Old 01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Hondaracer03

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Yes, i'm in the same position as you, that my nearest hobby shop is some old man who only knows about planes, and only stocks traxxas parts. I found a hobbytown usa (almost an hour from me) and took a ride out there. It's the best hobby store! They stock everything from nitro cars (and parts) to pokemon cards . Their webpage is really bad though, but their store is awesome. I think you should be excited. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 PM
dagass

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Hobbytown is a great store. They sell everything however their R/C car section is loaded and is always the most crowded part of the store. The have stock and option parts for all the most popular cars and trucks and they are very helpful.

I have one 5 minutes down the street from me. Lucky me!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:24 PM
kbrent_d

Default Hobbytown USA ?

I'd like to think of Hobby Town as the "Best Buy" of Radio Control products. They carry a wide variety of products and they usually know what they are talking about when you ask them questions, I think their prices are a little higher than you'd expect from such a "big" Hobby Store though.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Yep.. what they said!

I buy all my cheap items at Hobbytown USA..

They are pretty cheap when it comes to some items like bearing and stuff but when it comes to kits and engines.. look elsewhere!

Also they do work on cars.. in case you dont feel like it!
As a few of you know.. I got a free tune up from one of their staff and that makes me quite happy!

So.. YES! Be happy.. be very happy!

-ram
Old 01-07-2003, 05:11 PM
hoodiegadoo

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Yea, its a great store. I'm jealous.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:32 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Yes.....Hobbytown USA is a great hobby store. I live in a rural area and would have to drive 90 + miles to go to other hobby stores and yet since I have bought a TMaxx and other espensive items at Hobbytown....they treat me very well. They have good customer service and are always ready to help....even if they don't have the exact answer I need. That's when I enjoy coming here on RCU and asking all of you good people those questions!

Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:17 PM
reddogdan

Default longish

We have several hobbytowns in our area. Some employ people with knowledge in all the merchandise they sell. The one that is five minutes from my house until recently did not. Before the new kid started there, you couldn't get any help. If you needed a part you had to bring the part number with you (no, you cant come behind the counter and find it yourself). Their main interest is playing Magic and talking about it to the point of being just outright rude to the customers that interrupt them. The new kid they just hired has r/c's and knows a little about them. If I don't see his car in the parking lot, I don't stop. I'm sure that not all the Hobbytowns are run this way and I sure wish mine wasn't. But they do have all most anything I need (if I just take the part number with me)

Danny
Old 01-07-2003, 11:42 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default YOUR RIGHT!!

Same here..
Only one kid knows what hes talkin about in my store.. heck he works on by car even though I didnt buy it there!
On top of that I get free advice and recommendations!
Cant beat that!!
-ram
Old 01-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Moonunit451

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Well, I sure can see why you say Hobbytowns web site is bad! I just tried to go, and it's under construction. There's NOTHING there. Thanks ts, found it.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:16 PM
SmokyTyrz

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Ya, HT is great! It's like a Home Depot or a Lowes for RC! lol..well, almost! And they aren't that cocky either!
Old 01-10-2003, 05:06 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Default Hobbytown USA ?

I've found that if I have a choice between going to hobby town or an independantly owned shop, then I'll almost always go to an independant. They have more invested in the customer and tend to be more helpful. Of course, I'm a little biased on this matter considering of the 10 or so times I've gone to HT's (in 2 different cities even), they have not had what I needed in stock. I fly planes and the one in Norman, OK only has about 6 feet of space for planes. Everything else is model trains and other stuff of that nature. Seems like they'd invest in a slight larger area for the planes considering how close they are to the flying field there.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:44 PM
NCC-1701

Default Hobbytown USA ?

HobbyTown's vary greatly between locations. I've visites several nationwide ans was generally unimpressed with most EXCEPT the one in Mobile Alabama. That one is abaolutely fantastic! They have a large selection and the staff is very knowledgeable and courteous.

Perhaps the entire chain should benchmark off the Mobile store.

Rob
Old 01-24-2003, 02:03 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default Hobbytown USA ?

my hobbytowns sucks. Every time I need a part they need to order it. All they stock is t-maxx parts screw the rest of the manufactures. I always order my parts at towwer hobbies. I can get the parts faster than the hobbytown. One guy only no everything and he's never there to ask for help. Because of this I've moved up to 1/4 scale and am building my own cars and trucks. Now if I need anything I can make it Except the eletronics.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:59 PM
ringelbeast

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Originally posted by dagass
Hobbytown is a great store. They sell everything however their R/C car section is loaded and is always the most crowded part of the store. The have stock and option parts for all the most popular cars and trucks and they are very helpful.

I have one 5 minutes down the street from me. Lucky me!

I agree Hobbytown is a great store. I bought My RC10GT there. Have the biggest selection of parts for just about every car. Compared to some of the other shops here in my town. I have two here in town that I go to. The one closet to my house is convenient, BUT the employee's their aren't that helpful. And their is one in Lawrence "GO KU" the guys their are the best. And I can haggle pricing with them!!!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Jbbxxxnt
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hobbytown USA ?

We have a hobbytown usa here and I love it. They have races every sunday in the parking lot here and everyone there is very knowledgeable about r/c racing. I just go there and bs with the guys sometimes about cars and such. They can take a lot of time to get to you sometimes as they are real friendly with everybody and will spend as much time as you want with them when they finish with the other person. Some of the guys there even race r/c. I am very happy with it, and I can't find many places on line that can beat their prices by more than a couple of dollars, and they have a huge selection in their store they just built. No, I don't work for them, but if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be getting into r/c racing.

It has been a few months since I posted the above statement and I am not so happy with them anymore. As I become more knowledgeable about the sport, the less they seem to be helpful and more they send to be trying to push stuff I don't need.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:49 PM
willster

Default Hobbytown USA ?

beardking to your reply, I think me and this guy are in the same town and I know exactly what it's like to spend a bunch of money on a new hobby and then deal with them.

tsim712, does the new store open in Feb?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:45 PM
tsim712

Default Hobbytown USA ?

They said the new store would open on Jan 19th, then they changed it to "sometime in Feb".. They are steadily working on the new place. I drive by every few days. Shouldn't be long...

I shouldn't bad mouth the current hobby store though. I realy only had a couple bad situations. But then again, I've only been they a couple times.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:08 AM
willster

Default Hobbytown USA ?

There is always the RC shop in Cullman... I started going there cause of the way they would act when I would ask a question that they felt was stupid... The store in Cullman is owned by a couple and the guy is real nice and will help you out if you need it.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:48 PM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Default Hobbytown USA ?

are you talking about pyramid hobbies, in cullman they have been around for awhile. another good shop is in birmingham he has been there for twenty plus years it is spiveys toy and hobby. are you in cullman.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:50 PM
tsim712

Default Hobbytown USA ?

No... I've been to Pyramid in Decatur. It was ok.. I'm in Madison, so Huntsville was the closest shop. I spent $400, had a problem with the radio, went in with the intention of buying a better radio and maybe let them look at mine. I was told "I don't want to, but I'm going to replace your radio". I had to laugh. Not only did he talk himself out of sale, he talked himself out of a customer.
Hobbytown is open and they seem to be very helpful. They talk a bit too much, but helpful

Tracy
Old 03-24-2003, 10:45 PM
FairlyNew

Default Hobbytown USA ?

The hobbytown closest to me is awesome. I recently purchased my first nitro car there and the guy was great. He spent over a hour talking to me and making suggestions. He made real sure I knew what I was getting into buying a nitro car and hooked me up with a local group of rc car guys. His prices were also great he has the new sportmaxx $10 cheaper than towerhobbies.com.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:06 AM
buyrbware
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Unfortunately, My hobbytown stinks, Guys are rude and prices are high..But at least I have other shop options were I live!
Old 03-25-2003, 10:44 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Hobbytown USA ?

Your not by any chance talking about Decatur as in the one in East Atlanta in Georgia are you? lol
-ram
Old 03-25-2003, 01:13 PM
uagrad90

Default Hobbytown USA ?

tsim712 there is also a Pyramid Hobby shop in Cullman. The one in Decatur is just a branch of the Cullamn one. Also Pyramid now has on-line ordering. If I am not mistaken Willster is refering to Cullam RC Hobbies or North Cullman (not sure if they change their name when they moved) that is run by Daniel Lolley and I cant remeber his wifes name. That is were I race when I get the chance. I second what Will said Daniel runs a great place and provides alot of help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.