Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

CEN Magnum NX or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Ponch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN Magnum NX or not?

I couldn't figure out were to put this so I just stuck it in here.
Should I buy the CEN Magnum NX for $250 from my LHS and be able to spend $100 on upgrades or buy the HPI RS4 MT2 for $340 and not be able to do anything to it?

Im leaning towards the CEN because it has more power. If the CEN would be the way to go what should I upgrade?

Give reasoning to go along with your choice please.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: CEN Magnum NX or not?

I have heard alot of bad things about CEN. I personally would go with HPI since it has been proven; not only that, HPI actually listens to customer gripes and fixes the problems with their products. Also, the parts availability and aftermarket upgrades parts that exist for HPI products are much greater than that of CEN.

Since CEN is not as big a major player in North Amerrica as HPI, Mugen, Traxxas, Kyosho, Losi, etc. are, I think they try to boost sales by lying about their power output. I did some searching about CEN engines, the NX76 in particular, and found out that these engines do not produce near the HP they claim. There are .28ci engines that will outperform the NX76. Don't believe the power claims CEN advertises (or any advertised HP figures for that matter), they are usually a pack of lies. Engine makers can make up any HP number they want and say "our testing methods are different from ohers and our method shows the engine to make this HP." They then hide behind the excuse "there are no standardized HP measures and there are too many variables to consider."
I have read that the NX76 engine does not last as long as .28ci engines. I'm guessing this has someting to do with poorer metallurgy. If a typical .28ci engine will last 5 gallons before a rebuild, the CEN NX76 would last only about 3gallons (I'm guessing here, I never actually had a CEN NX76 nor do I care to get one). The NX76 might actually last longer, maybe 4 gallons, I'm not sure.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not personally owned a CEN car. However, a friend has a fun factor MT--essentially the older version of the magnum, and finds no trouble with it. I took a long hard look at the Magnum at the LHS, but it was sold before I could make up my mind to buy it. Another friend has an HPI MT2 and had some problems with it initially, but it's a good truck now. The owner of my LHS(who hasn't steered me wrong yet) speaks very highly of the CEN products. According to him, the only problem with the CEN cars is that they don't break often enough so he doesn't make any money on parts. CEN had a les than stellar reputation early on, and seems to have a hard time shaking it even though their latest product line seems really good for the money and all the recent buyers seem happy. Personally, given your choices, I'd go for the Magnum, because more money in my pocket is always good. I don't think you can go wrong with either, as long as you local shop carries parts for both...
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
rc monkey

I personally dont have any experience of the Magnum but I do have a cen truck and I have no problems that wernt my fault

Also there is quite a few CEN guys on the forum if you need to ask any questions
Old 11-14-2006, 11:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Here is the link to the CEN forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_310/tt.htm

I personally have not read any of their threads so I do not know what these guys with direct experience are saying about CEN products.
Feel free to take my previous post with a grain of salt since I am speaking only on second hand information. I have had friends who used to have CEN, but they got rid of them before I even was into RCs. I have read over thousands of posts concerning problems with CEN, but then again, I was reading sites that are geared mainly towards HPI, Traxxas, and Losi monster trucks.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:50 AM
notch

Im a team driver for them and I have bashed around their NX... Its a good entry level car... first thing I would upgrade is go to the steel spur!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 AM
RC30GTR

I test drove one at the track. I dont own it, some guy i met at the track does. Its a fun truck, very quick and go around the corner well. It doesnt jump as well as the big truck does, but for the price, i wont complait.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 PM
spincarez

Hello Everybody,
This is my first post in a long time. I am planning on buying a Cen Magnum aswell. Does anybody know the part number for the steel spur some were talking about as i will order it along with it.
Another question. Since it doesn't come with foams in tyres, will they be needed. What are recommedations on foams etc.
All responses are highly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
MONSTER4x4

The Magnum NX is a good choice.It's got speed,durability,looks good and the price is quite reasonable.The only problem seems to be a lack of hop-up parts and good,hard modification options. XTM Maufactures vehicles that are fast,durable,realistcally priced.As for ordering parts,it might help if you checked out www.cenracing.com . There is a catalogue with products and parts which contains among others also probably the one you are looking for.