RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Chinese Knockoffs: Post info, opinions, reviews of "copy-cat" cars.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:41 AM
kithwinter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Chinese Knockoffs: Post info, opinions, reviews of "copy-cat" cars.

My order is now scheduled for delivery on 23rd ... I always have trouble with this courier.

@Phelansa - Adjust trim, check I thought there may be other stuff I should inspect before running.

@Grip43- Thanks! I'll be looking for that World Racing Brand if/when I go nitro... The truck I ordered is electric... still just getting my feet wet

@BigBrett- Thanks for that... my only friend that is into RC almost talked me int the Traxxas Rustler or Stampede, but for half the price, I thought the HBX was the way to go..... to start >... once I can take apart and rebuild all of the Cross Tiger, I'll upgrade
Old 01-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Okta

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Chinese Knockoffs: Post info, opinions, reviews of "copy-cat" cars.

Hiya there my first post

I just got my HBX bonzer monster truck a week ago and all i can say is BRILLIANT. For what i spent and how it drives and performs i am very happy with my purchase and have ordered in the HBX buggy for an interested friend. Already i have bought 2x3000mah nimh and a fast duratrax peak charger to keep the fun coming. I am currenty on the hunt for hop ups to turn the front suspension full alloy(TL-0-1B) tamiya parts.

This is my first REAL RC and (yes i said real) and for that low price i am kitted with radio gear and can easliy buy other kit cars now if i want although i am seriously considering turning this thing brushless if i can source the gear.

I smashed this thing HARD into a brick wall and mangled the steering, then i discovered how a servo saver works, fixed in a jiffy.

Although i havent had it long i hope it holds up ok and i dont have to change my opinion, although its a fact that all cars break no matter how much you bought them for.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:10 AM
thuen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you happen to strip or break the servo: It is a clone/copy of the Hitec HS 303 - so replacement parts are easy to find. (or if it happens to often, you can use the specs. of the Hitec (speed,torque)when you get something else/stronger.

Brushless? It sort of defies common sense to put a brushless system in that car, it will cost at least twice as much as the rest of it! (or you could of course see it the other way round: cheap basecar= lots of money to spend on hop-ups)
Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 PM
kithwinter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@Okta- I understand there are some gearing issues to overcome in the stock gearbox on the Bonzer that will limit what motor speeds can be used...

I will be replacing the bearings first on mine... then maybe the suspension.

I don't know anything about servo savers, but I guess I'll find out soon :P
Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 PM
kithwinter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

EDIT: I made a noob mistake... I use a Radio Shack battery charger and it shut off before it charged the battery... I'm testing the Cross Tiger now
Old 01-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Pinolelst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: kithwinter

Ugh... the courier got here at 9:34pm...

I'm having trouble getting this thing running
All batteries are charged up but the truck won't go.... (still waiting for good bateries in the mail, but I do have a Ni-CD 1700mah)

The lights on the radio and receiver/ESC light up, but the steering servo keeps going right, and the forward and reverse won't work.

I tried adjusting all the setting on the radio... both trims, the reverse switches on top, the steering dial under the stering control.... no luck...

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried the battery in my other car... not working either.... it may not have charged.... I'm trying again.
Try customer service.Maybe they can help you out

hope this helps
pinolelst
Old 01-24-2007, 12:34 AM
kithwinter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It ran great. Slowed down a good deal on frozen grass (compared to asphalt), but kept trucking... even did a few tiny jumps over the speedbump.... enough for it to flip over when it landed.... ... but speed bumps are easy... just keep the throttle on full :P

Looks like I'll have to rig some higher jumps

The only thing I didn't expect... I have a 1:10 Nikko Formula Ferrari that I beleive is faster then the HBX Cross Tiger is stock. As soon as my 2 new 3800mah batteries come in, I'm gonna race 'em....
Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Grip43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: carmatic1

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Grip43
With knock-offs sometimes you just get a bad one from the factory, but then again, that could happen no matter what the brand is.
the question is, would you be willing to bet that a bad one WONT get to you if you buy a certain brand?
My point is this. There is no brand out there that has not had it's share of faults. If paying more money makes a person feel as though they have the best product then do so. We are all different in this world and we are going to have different choices. Newbs buying a knock-off just need to know that it's a entry level RC and as time goes by they may attach themselves to a brand that they like. Everybody that buys a RC does not stick to the hobby even if they do buy top brand name. This hobby is not for everyone. Just as everybody that likes bashing is not into asphalt racing or Helis or boats or planes. People make choices. Getting into a hobby the inexpensive way can allow a person to see just how much they like it. If they don't like it, and they have paid for a expensive RC they will end up selling it at a loss. Not smart. Start slowly after all most of us got into this thing with the "TOY's" first. Then we moved on to bigger and better things. As for thinking China is using 5 year olds for slave labor to build RC's, first of all, these would be some really smart kids to put these things together in the manner that they do. Not to say that it can't be done but, who really knows for sure? Lets not forget that if a country is willing to do this when making knock-offs, they will do it on all products because of the profit so are you saying do not buy from China at all? Lets keep it real here and help those that ask for help to the best of our knowledge. In other words, speak if you have had a experience with a brand. Don't just shoot down a item just because your attached to a brand that you like. All of the RC's have some benefit. From teaching the younger ones the basics to helping the expirenced driver get the edge on the competition.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:17 PM
TrailBlazer250

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have had a smartech winner 3 for a long time. i am not new to the hobby, just nitro. i have 3 team associated, and a losi. if you ask me smartech is just as good. i have never broken any thing
Old 01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
redbarton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anybody have one of [link=http://www.raidentech.com/1laelrarecor.html]these[/link]? It looks like a copy of a Tamiya TB02 chassis. Any comments or observations would be appreciated! I'm looking to get a cheap road car for bashing and this looked like the ticket.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
redbarton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I decided to pass on that TB02 "like" Lambo. It's very similar to an actual Tamiya TB02 but I doubt many parts are interchangeable when you start looking at it closely. If only there were some good TT01 copies in addition to all the TL01 copies. At least, I haven't seen any yet.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:48 PM
kithwinter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been passing up all the knock-off cars too... can't seem to ID any other then the TL-01 for sure...I think the best bet is getting a used one on ebay or here.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:58 PM
ford f150

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

same here bro buy once name brand peice
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 AM
kithwinter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

heh... I mean, I passed up on "cars" specificly My first RC is the HBX truck... it's a great copy of the tl01b and a great truck, except that the gearing doesn't seem to be very easily customized.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
chinook1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
... As for thinking China is using 5 year olds for slave labor to build RC's, first of all, these would be some really smart kids to put these things together in the manner that they do. Not to say that it can't be done but, who really knows for sure? Lets not forget that if a country is willing to do this when making knock-offs, they will do it on all products because of the profit so are you saying do not buy from China at all?...

Yeah, point taken; but so you know, the whole "5 year old kids making 20 cents an hour" thing was hyperbole. It was not intended to be taken literally. I was just making the point that pay is very low and labor practices are...different there, which allows for big big profits for companies that manufacture there.

Thanks everyone again for keeping this conversation going. Like I said, I would really appreciate a magazine with resources to do side by side testing to pick up this issue. i suppose they may have a conflict of intrest though, since they make most of thier money off of advertising from the companies that are being ripped off. Maybe someday...

Chinook
Old 02-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Purjn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agrree that some knockoffs are worthhy. I have a Smartech warrior that i have owned for about two years. This thing has been through all kinds of remakes. It fits A lot of HPI parts I think its more of an evo3 clone Single speed though, steel dogbones. Very tough . Bought new from Hobby shop for 160.00
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 PM
j_blaze

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought this thread was about info and reviews on the "knock-offs", just seems like a lot of bashing and defending of the overall topic. I have a 1/10 smartech buggy, 1/10 Himoto Truggy and an FS Racing 1/8 buggy (I think its a smartech also, can't read chinese, don't read manual anyways), I don't care who made it, I don't care who assembled it or where it was shipped from or anybody's quality standards for production. I bought it, tinkered with it, ran it on the track, jumped it a lot and then something broke. I think everybody here can say the same thing about whatever car they have, "knock-off" or "knock-on". If I had $500-$1000 I would probably buy something to fit that budget, but since I only want to spend $200 for everything, I can justify that. However, that number is quickly rising since this is so much fun for me and my daughter. I drive a car for a few months, replace some parts and then she drives it a bit till I pass down the next one, and we have a lot of fun. Eventually I will be spending more and more and if I get a lot better at driving and adjusting to track conditions I will try to race, a lot. And if I don't get better or run out of money or find something more fun, then I won't be angry I spent thousands of dollars, I'll be angry I spent hundreds of dollars.

Heres my reviews: (of the cars I own and have driven)
SMARTECH SPEEDY CAR, awesome first car, servos suck, clutch sucks but those are cheep, parts are here in 3 days from ny. Very fast and durable, only broke 1 front arm so far got 2 more in waiting just in case.

REDCAT/HIMOTO TSUNAMI TRUCK/TRUGGY conversion, Awesome second car, .18 engine screams and truck flies. It has hundreds of jumps and a couple landings under its belt, remember to use longer hose from tank to engine to give you time to flip truck over after one of the non-landings (2 wheels then 2 other wheels then 1 wheel then wing then roof then 1 wheel then roof) only broke 1 c-hub door type mount on mailbox, the track is much more forgiving than concrete and wood. Parts ship in 3 days from az.

FS RACING GH-4 1/8 BUGGY , Ive never driven one of the knock-on buggies but this is really first class, it is VERY similar to the duratrax raze or kyosho us sports buggy. Still breaking in .21 engine and even at 1/2 throttle the buggy REALLY moves, I can't wait to try some landings with this thing. Will post later some parts availability and pics.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
IamDisaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Posted my results with Himoto Nascada in "official" thread.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4949554/anchors_5498481/mpage_13/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5498481]Himoto Official Support[/link]
Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Grip43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good to see that people here are not totaly against the knock-offs. My world racing on-road car is still going great. It came with a .18 engine and is a very fast car. This brand and many others like Redcat can be purchased from www.rc-tradingpost.com or can be found on e-bay. These are great entry level RC's. There are plenty of new manufactors out here producing excelent new products. Check out ooc racing. They have the answer to cooling your car or truck with out killing the aerodynamics. Good company and yes I have there scoops and vents that they make for the RC market. Better that cutting a big hole in your front window. Less dirt and no chance for something to fly into the hole and wreck something. (oocracing stands for out of control racing)
Old 03-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Grip43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: chinook1

Quote:
... As for thinking China is using 5 year olds for slave labor to build RC's, first of all, these would be some really smart kids to put these things together in the manner that they do. Not to say that it can't be done but, who really knows for sure? Lets not forget that if a country is willing to do this when making knock-offs, they will do it on all products because of the profit so are you saying do not buy from China at all?...

Yeah, point taken; but so you know, the whole "5 year old kids making 20 cents an hour" thing was hyperbole. It was not intended to be taken literally. I was just making the point that pay is very low and labor practices are...different there, which allows for big big profits for companies that manufacture there.

Thanks everyone again for keeping this conversation going. Like I said, I would really appreciate a magazine with resources to do side by side testing to pick up this issue. i suppose they may have a conflict of intrest though, since they make most of thier money off of advertising from the companies that are being ripped off. Maybe someday...

Chinook
The thing is, none of these companies can claim being ripped off if they did not file a Patent or a Trademark application. That would give them the rights to the design or function of the RC produced. The problem is everything can't be locked up by one or two manufactors. Too many stipulations. Thats why the knock-off can be made.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
dac8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

every thing made in china is a knock of of something else made in china allmost every thing in the hobby is made in china i once heard a statement. china takes the best in the world and copies it then makes it theirs
Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
j_blaze

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the buggy I got on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-new-1-8-Ni...QQcmdZViewItem

Problems: The front differential box was not properly tightened, gears slipped and stripped, new diffs coming this week staight off raze parts. Raze is identical to this for $100 less.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Codeblack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: boltech

I bought a Smartech new for a great price and aside from a melted clutch it has held up very well and still runs perfectly after 2 and a half years. it has seen it's share of curb hits and rollovers. IMO if you are gonna buy a smartech there are a few things that need to be replaced right off the bat. The clutch, and the electronics. Those alone makes the car handle much much more better. I even swapped out the engine for a speed boost.
LMAO,I HAD THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!!!! how interesting... that clutch makes me think like ftw were they thinking... i mean it burnt out after the second ride...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Codeblack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my smartech is running very well for a couple of month now, got the clutch burned but thats about it...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:51 PM
IamDisaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: IamDisaster

Posted my results with Himoto Nascada in "official" thread.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4949554/anchors_5498481/mpage_13/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5498481]Himoto Official Support[/link]

Posted in official thread, but here are my results with $90 Himoto Nascada.

Car is heavier than typical TC and 200mm wide (nitro size) vs. 190mm (electric size TC.) Could be an issue if someone wants to race. Bigger issue was ESC was total piece of dung...could barely move car. Others report similar results...some worked for a little bit before burning up. Besides weight, Nascada has a lot of driveline friction. Others report the combination of weight and friction being very hard on motors (they run hot.) I experienced considerably shorter run times with the Nascada compared to a TC3.

On a positive note it appears to be built like a tank. I haven't broken anything yet despite some nasty crashes.

Search this Thread