Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Chinese Knockoffs: Post info, opinions, reviews of "copy-cat" cars.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Chinese Knockoffs: Post info, opinions, reviews of "copy-cat" cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 AM
slickview

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Chinese Knockoffs: Post info, opinions, reviews of "copy-cat" cars.

What do u guys think about these tamaya look a like buggies? Does anyone have one of these buggies and how do they proform? i'm interesting on buying one. i'm a beginner and want to get practice before i buy a name brand buggy. I'm interesting on getting the $84 blue buggy. Any tips? Thanks

http://www.grandhobby.com/110buggies.html

P.S I wanted to know if parts from the real tamiya will fit on the knock-off. very look a like!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLKY7&P=SM
Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Phelansa

Default RE: The Chinese Knockoffs: Post info, opinions, reviews of "copy-cat" cars.

The Buggy you are looking at is a copy of the Tamiya TL01B Baja Champ/Baja King. Not the Desert Gator.

I do not know the specific Buggy that you have posted the link to. But in my experience these coppies are almost exact duplicates of the original Tamiya's. I have run my HBX Bonzer on geniuine Tamiya spares since forever. Never once had a problem finding the Tamiya spares or in fitting them.

I think you have a pretty good idea there. Get the cheaper buggy for now. And see if you are going to stick with the hobby. You can always get something better a little bit later on. But do believe me when I say. You will see a major performance difference once you go over to one of the Name Brand cars.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:31 AM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

HEY I bought one recently with crawling in mind. Her'es a video of it in action. Very affordable fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYFexR-1Eb0

enjoy
Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Evil Duckling

well ive only ever seen one hbx running and it was kinda crappy..but ive heard the bonzers arent to bad if u look after em well.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:06 AM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

THE OTHER VID WAS OF THE MAD TRUCK.

HERE'S A VID OF MY HBX CROSS TIGER. ITS FUN AS AND PARTS ARE LUST TL-01.

HENG LONG MAD TRUCK PARTS ARE AVALIABLE THROUGH MY LOCAL SELLER.

CHECK THE VID.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vldw4zrUREA

KEEP ON TRUCKIN
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 AM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

Some vids of the trucks in your discussion

HBX CROSS TIGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vldw4zrUREA

HENG LONG MAD TRUCK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYFexR-1Eb0
Old 06-23-2007, 01:29 PM
daveywy

want to know what brand of truck parts will fit
i need a some smaller pinions to slow the truck down for my girls
Old 06-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: daveywy

You can use the parts from the Tamiya TL01B. The chasis will accept up to an 23T pinion. That should drop the speed quite nicely from the stock 19T pinion.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 AM
BlueFish1104

Hi guys, a relative newbie here, sorry if these questions have been asked before, i have read all through but can't see the answers yet.

I have one of the later generation Bonzer s, the instructions talk about setting up the ESC by pressing a reset button, I can't see a reset button to press!! any ideas??

Also the handset has a charging hole, what charger / batteries do i need to make use of this?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

Hey ive bought 2 mad trucks and mad em rock crawlers, here's some vids of them.
Ive found slowing em down makes them last longer. If i had to have an out of the box racer it would be the hbx cross tiger hands down. it breaks less than the mad truck. anyway here's the vidz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vldw4zrUREA cross tiger fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYFexR-1Eb0 mad truck with reduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4ac8s50pk Mad truck pretty stock still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRK-hWpsRs mad truck with my own crawler chassis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=366qaqbEpxE more of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0A6ttf4ZOY and a bit more.

ENJOY>
Old 09-11-2007, 06:11 PM
magnat

The Bonzer looks like it has more ride Height Stock then the Mad truck does???
The Henlong looks like is uses the Trinity T-Spec chassis, only as an Offroader??
Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

yeah dunno bout the chassis, heng long like copying team losi stuff the land overlord etc. I used nails to lift the hbx...lol
Old 09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

ORIGINAL: Phelansa

You can use the parts from the Tamiya TL01B. The chasis will accept up to an 23T pinion. That should drop the speed quite nicely from the stock 19T pinion.

um a bigger pinion will make it faster.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: MADTRUCKMADCNT

um a bigger pinion will make it faster.

small pinion- lots of acceleraton with like no top end
big pinion- like no acceleration with lots of high end
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Phelansa

I must have been really tired when I wrote this. Only saw what I actually said now.

My bad, smaller pinion makes it slower, same way a bigger spur would

Blegh
Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 PM
diggernz

Ive found slowing em down makes them last longer. If i had to have an out of the box racer it would be the hbx cross tiger hands down. it breaks less than the mad truck.

Man mine breaks shock towers all the time and as its parts of the whole chassis its a major rebuild. I thought about a King Blackfoot chassis as the stock shock struts are to weak to support the trucks weight when jumping. Otherwise its a solid truck that goes quiet fast with the 550 can, but once the strut goes you cant drive it anymore. Baja champ owners (TL01b chassis thats identical) dont have this problem. I would say the plastic in the Bonzer is far inferior to any Tamiya plastic, My steering
uprights /kingpins wore out very fast, king pins always worked lose till i super glued them in. The thread was wearing away on the kingpins too, no way that would happen to Tamiya items as soon as it did. This was my 1st RC and I got the bug as when it went it was awsome. They are a cheap, chinese?, knockoff. at least your not stuck for parts like alot of other ebay cars. Most are replicas of a bigger companys car so once you know that your not stuck with some supplier who charges the earth and takes weeks to get parts.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:21 PM
diggernz

I must have been really tired when I wrote this. Only saw what I actually said now.

My bad, smaller pinion makes it slower, same way a bigger spur would

Blegh
Smaller pinion gives it a slower top speed but also gives it faster acceleration, so this can be just as bad for young kids. Try putting a cable tie around the hand peice/transmitter so the throttle trigger hits against it when pulled back.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:31 AM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

WHAT N the hell were you doin to yours????? i bashed mine around on the vid like that for ages and the only prob i had was strippin some gears.....I see what you mean but. I just think the hbx is lighter than the mad truck, thus break **** less. I suppose if you loctite everythin on a mad truck and put a cover over the gears , they would be shweet with all thier oil filled shocks and all.
i dont have any of those problems goin 1 kph. lol

ORIGINAL: diggernz

Ive found slowing em down makes them last longer. If i had to have an out of the box racer it would be the hbx cross tiger hands down. it breaks less than the mad truck.

Man mine breaks shock towers all the time and as its parts of the whole chassis its a major rebuild. I thought about a King Blackfoot chassis as the stock shock struts are to weak to support the trucks weight when jumping. Otherwise its a solid truck that goes quiet fast with the 550 can, but once the strut goes you cant drive it anymore. Baja champ owners (TL01b chassis thats identical) dont have this problem. I would say the plastic in the Bonzer is far inferior to any Tamiya plastic, My steering
uprights /kingpins wore out very fast, king pins always worked lose till i super glued them in. The thread was wearing away on the kingpins too, no way that would happen to Tamiya items as soon as it did. This was my 1st RC and I got the bug as when it went it was awsome. They are a cheap, chinese?, knockoff. at least your not stuck for parts like alot of other ebay cars. Most are replicas of a bigger companys car so once you know that your not stuck with some supplier who charges the earth and takes weeks to get parts.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 AM
magnat

There not designed to be jumped off skateboard ramps... if you want to do that then get an E-savage.... only thing is it will be more expensive to fix.

The Bonzers Main fault is the Gearing.. the Idler gear gets chewed badly when you start making it go faster...
I have only Broken the Rear shock tower once and thats because I was being a tool...
1 Metre off the Retainer wall.. and BANG rear shock tower went.... I was suprised the WHOLE chassis didnt crack..
Old 09-15-2007, 03:36 PM
studysession

I did not read this entire thread -

Here is my opinion - a lot of brands we know as a well known brand here in the US, those companies just slap their name on something that is made somewhere else over seas. OFNA does not make RC's. The RC's they redistribute are made by Hong Nor & HaBao. (SP?) But you get the idea. This is normal to see something sold in some knock-off name and usualy they are the ones whom really make the name brand product a lot of the time.

JMHO
Old 09-15-2007, 04:45 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: studysession

I did not read this entire thread -

Here is my opinion - a lot of brands we know as a well known brand here in the US, those companies just slap their name on something that is made somewhere else over seas. OFNA does not make RC's. The RC's they redistribute are made by Hong Nor & HaBao. (SP?) But you get the idea. This is normal to see something sold in some knock-off name and usualy they are the ones whom really make the name brand product a lot of the time.

JMHO
Good point. It's like the Duratraxx Firehammer. It's actually a chinese made knockoff of the FG Marder and is sold under many other names such as Carson and Smartech. Many people think the Smartech/Carson/etc are knockoffs of the Firehammer but that just is not true.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 PM
C.A.R.

I've not read everything in this thread as it's sooo long! But I know a fair bit about these trucks.

I worked in a hobby shop when they first came on the scene. The 'manufacturer' in China bought the moulds from Tamiya, so the Bonzers and Fazers (early TL01 road car) are essentially just Tamiya cars. The Bonzer sold 10x better than the touring car, as it was a design you couldn't get from Tamiya; and still can't. It's a 4wd MT, and the only ones from Tamiya are twin-motors. This was a design using all Tamiya parts, but a design that Tamiya never issued. Tamiya did this because they never release a model that isn't flawed in some areas. For the Bonzer, it's the gearbox. The complex drivetrain meant that Tamiya never tried to hook it up with the Wild Dagger wheels, as the pinion gears don't last long. This didn't bother HBX (or HaiBoiXing) as the aftermarket support was non-existant. They filled each truck with some cheap electronics (the originals had an all-in-one RX/ESC, the latter had a knock-off Futaba RX with it's standard HBX LM ESC. The motors were 550 size cans, and probably not designed for toy use, but when you're working on a budget; anything goes!

These trucks are no-doubt awesome. And why doesn't Tamiya care? Well, where do you think all the HBX owners get their spares from?.....

Tamiya makes approx. 75% of it's RC sales through spares.

Chris.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 PM
MADTRUCKMADCNT

if the picture worked this should be a pic of my truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76302.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	763999   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10884.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	764000  
Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM
RoddersUK

OK, I'm a newbie to RC. In fact, so new that I've never owned anything other than a very cheap toy 20 years ago.

I want to build a buggy as a starter project so I can learn how these things work and where it's strong and weak points are. Maybe I should opt for RTR and modify it, but I think I would never get round to it. So, I want a kit.

I'm in the UK, and would prefer to buy in the UK for confidence.

I was looking at the Smartech Speedy Tiger on ebay which sounds like a very decent kit at a great price. If I can upgrade the motor and clutch as required then is it such a bad idea? The dealer has a pretty extensive spare parts catalogue for that model too, so I'd be confident of getting replacements.

However, I hate buying crap so what would experts recommend as a good quality starter nitro buggy kit? I'd like it to be ethical (ie no R&D theft) too, and needs to be reasonably low price in case the hobby doesn't bite me!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM
kurt10

To let everyone know now,

5/3 year olds don't work at those factories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.