Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

do people make fun of you about your rc's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

do people make fun of you about your rc's

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Indecline099

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do people make fun of you about your rc's

im 22 and my friends constantly make fun of me for playing with "toys" and when im working on my revo they constantly crack jokes and say i need to grow up, when i try to explain that the vast majority of people that have true rc's are adults, they dont belive me, the other day when i had my revo out my friend, "the one who makes fun of me the most" wanted to drive it, thats when i said sorry man "only kids are allowed to play with these toys, your far too mature for this", his reply was, whatever i didnt really want to drive it anyway , so who else has to put up with this
Old 11-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Nathan9492

Default RE: do people make fun of you about your rc's

me, they think its too expensive, frigan idiots
Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 AM
muddymoose92

All the time my man....lol
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 AM
arceight

Hey, I was always told the man who dies with the most toys wins!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:14 AM
irishdrifter

i used to hear it all the time from my friends. "Grow up or stop wastin your money on them little toys or your such a kid, well i started rc drifting and how things have changed, most of them own rc cars and are on this fourm, u know who u are.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Nitro212

yeah i get that all the tiem either i spedn too much money on those toys or i need to do somethign else but i dont pay mind to that what for? u cant make the whole world happy right? always someone hating one likes iit the other one dont aslong as i like it im happy with that
Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Nitro Fumes

The difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys. I got into the hobby back in '83 when I was about 28 y.o. I started with an Associated RC 500, 1/8 gas on road racing. My Dad said I was too old for it. That it would be OK if I was 16. I said to my Dad, there aren't any 16 y.o. that can afford this hobby. It took a few years but he eventually got to understand mainly because of a friend of his. His friend had a different outlook on life, he had a heart transplant. Anyway his friend thought my R/C car (by that time I moved up to a Serpent Excel) was really cool and wanted to see it run. So one day my Dad came to a local race. I showed him how serious, how technical and how expensive it is and its not a kid's hobby. But, sure, there is kid level stuff out there. Especially that new stuff Hasbro is coming out with.

A related hobby that I also have is building plastic car model kits. I've been doing that since I was a kid. I'll be 52 next month. You should see how that hobby has matured too. The extremely fine craftsmanship and detail I see. I was just a large contest with about 650 models entered. There is a Jr. section for kids. Well if this is a kid's hobby too whey is the Jr section so small, maybe 12 entries while all the rest were adults. Some of the Jrs. did pretty nice work too. Their Dad's probably build plastic models too.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:24 AM
boltech

I get picked on too until they find out it's Nitro powered. then they leave me alone. Electrics are more likend to kids toys.
people hear the whirr of an electric motor and immediately the car is a toy with no attraction. but with a Nitro engine a crowd gathers to spectate.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:50 AM
running_gag

I usually ask them how much more mature it is to hit rocks witha stick and then chase it. as it turns out rc is about as expensive as golf too.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 AM
DaveG55

If they make fun of you, let them drive one. They will probably end up getting one.
A point of fact.
It is a hobby. Not a necessity. Every body has a hobby or two that they spend money on. And since it's not a necessity there's the potential for fun to be made. But, have you ever noticed that the few people who don't have a hobby are usually pretty darn boring???
Old 11-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Medrivfast

They are jealous. Plain fact. Indecline099 even said it. His friend was making fun of it but yet he wanted to drive it. Every guy out there wants to at least drive an R/C. If he says he doesn't than he is lying. I bet the people that make fun of it make less money than us that actually own them.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Anomie

I, too, think they're jealous.

I don't believe there can be an age limit for this hobby. In fact, one of my coworkers (he's 54) just picked up and RC10B4 and his brother-in-law is about to get one because he sees how much fun it is.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Doahh

My mini with a mamba 8k in it I would putt around at like 2 MPH then when someone was watching I would pop a 50 foot long wheelie XD
that shows then it's not a toy =p
Old 11-17-2006, 10:28 AM
ry5no2

People in my school (yes im 15) say why dont you just get a motorbike, those are the people that smoke weed and drink so i aint really going to be advice from them

Ryan
Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 AM
fugadude

If it makes you feel any better you can always say, well at least I'm not building doll houses. Seriously people that make fun of people's hobbies are stupid. It's never happend to me. I run 5 international companies, and I happen to enjoy RC. Just because you enjoy RC doesn't mean you're childish. In fact it probably means you're a step above many in terms of your skills and mental capacity.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:48 PM
xxMESTxx

I said to my Dad, there aren't any 16 y.o. that can afford this hobby.
I beg to differ, Im only 15, and i make $80 dollars a week, which isnt much, but its enough that if i wanted to i could get a new car every month, which i dont, but its enough to keep saving for a really nice car and to pay for everything that break, and over this summer im getting a new car because my mom is hooking me up with a summer job that pays about $8 an hour rather than my minimum wage, so YES a 16 yr old could very well have enough, mabye more money to spend, seeing as we dont have to pay bills or anything like that, or support a family, that $80 bucks we get at the end of the week is more than u'll probablly have after doing groceries once a week, mabye im wrong abouot that, not saying that its for kids, but we can still have fun, i dont agree with ur dad saying its a kids sport cuz hey, most the time my dads right thier next to me with his car
Old 12-08-2006, 09:53 PM
redfox03

i haven't got this yet. people who see me run my r/c's always want to get into the hobby, or are just really shocked at how fast it can go and how it handles.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:09 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Nitro Fumes

The difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys. I got into the hobby back in '83 when I was about 28 y.o. I started with an Associated RC 500, 1/8 gas on road racing. My Dad said I was too old for it. That it would be OK if I was 16. I said to my Dad, there aren't any 16 y.o. that can afford this hobby. It took a few years but he eventually got to understand mainly because of a friend of his. His friend had a different outlook on life, he had a heart transplant. Anyway his friend thought my R/C car (by that time I moved up to a Serpent Excel) was really cool and wanted to see it run. So one day my Dad came to a local race. I showed him how serious, how technical and how expensive it is and its not a kid's hobby. But, sure, there is kid level stuff out there. Especially that new stuff Hasbro is coming out with.

A related hobby that I also have is building plastic car model kits. I've been doing that since I was a kid. I'll be 52 next month. You should see how that hobby has matured too. The extremely fine craftsmanship and detail I see. I was just a large contest with about 650 models entered. There is a Jr. section for kids. Well if this is a kid's hobby too whey is the Jr section so small, maybe 12 entries while all the rest were adults. Some of the Jrs. did pretty nice work too. Their Dad's probably build plastic models too.

Good to see some one on here about the same age as well as live not real far from me. I have been 52 since June. I am one of those that do not pay attention to what others say as I live life for me not them.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 PM
-Inverted-

In fact, one of my coworkers (he's 54) just picked up and RC10B4
What's a cow-orker!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:33 PM
chrobar

I'm only 13 and my friends make fun of me... until they come over one day and see a "gas car" in action, now two of the three are getting one for Christmas. I thought I was the only one in this hobby in Darien, but now, I'll be the neighborhood RC car fixer.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:38 PM
dewberryb

I have had people say this is a expensive Hobby! My wife says its a waist of money. I just point out how much other hobbies cost such as paint ball or Motocross. I work with two guys who race Motocross their worse than us. They have to have the new ATV every year and then all the hop ups! $10,000 a year easy! I have never had anybody say that RC is for young kids though! I do know that this hobby is like crack you get hooked easy! I brought my REVO into work and within two weeks three coworkers bought RCs. I showed them my REVO and they bought on-road cars! Go Figure! At least they listened to me when I showed them what to buy! Two bought the Serpent 720 and the other bought a Mugen seiki Advance all really good cars! Now I'm odd man out!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:31 PM
125cchyperman

My brother makes fun of me sometimes but he's the only one. For the most part the people around me like these thing's. I once went over to my brother in laws for my niece's birthday party and brought my XXX-NT along to run after words. My brother in law's dad was absolutely impressed about how fast and how much power the thing had.

He laughed his butt of when I went from a standing still to a full wheelie and the truck would flip over on it's lid, and he's prolly 50ish. I love this hobby along with paintball (you get to dish out some pain and have fun with paintball) and yes it can be a lot more expensive then rc's. But as far as anybody that makes fun of us who cares we are not here on this earth to please them. I am here to live for the moment and for the moment I love the hobby along with paintball. And that's all that matters to me.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 AM
nic04

hey guys its my first time posting. i am constantly made fun of for my rc's.

such as when i went to the skatepark in town and started running and when the battery died the real "skaters" showed up. well i dug out my 12v and hooked up my charger and charged the battery.
i own one of my freinds old boreds that he had before (he skates) and im no good so i was trying to just tool around and wait for my battery. i wrecked several times and the skaters helped me out and were real cool about not laughing at my poor atemps.
after finally geting my "legs" on the boared my battery was done. going over to the truck i turned it on and was making sure my radio and trims were set right so i didnt hit any skaters. Putting around in a circle one or two of the skaters payed me no mind just kept on skating while the others who where waxing the rails and adjusting there boreds were laughing. after i had made shure my radio wasnt screwed with (the younger ones picked it up) i carried the car to the top of a 1/4 pipe with a kicker in front of it. this set them all into a laugh about how i was going to "play with my car". i simply set the car down and took off down the 1/4 pipe and to the kicker. there eyes were all on the truck... i jumped the kicker did a few carwheels on the landing and when it landed on its top one of the skaters picked it up and asked me to drive. lol i still love to do that to people who dont know.

i wish i didnt sell the truck (old traxxas rustler ) people just arnt as impressed with a crawler......

oh and btw great site.

nick
Old 12-09-2006, 12:20 AM
KillerKiwi
Banned

I don't know anyone who has heard of nitro RC. I told a few of my friends at school that I bought an RC car that goes 40 mph (Losi Muggy) and they said I was full of sh*t. So I took a video of it driving around in my back yard and showed them on one of the computers and they asked where to get one, I told them to get a one from the local hobby shop but I think they aren't mentally capable of maintaining such a complicated machine. They managed to kill their radioshack X-mods in a matter of days, as well as killing two pet rats with a lawnmower.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:06 AM
graymatters

I am new to "nitro" R/C and I am 29. I have had a few electrics and a tank in the past few years and I love it.
I think I only get made fun of because of my driving skills.
A couple of points:
1.) The statement "You spend too much money...." is only valid if you are spending THEIR money or your wife/husband/sig. other has to turn tricks to keep the electricity on while you drop thousands on your beloved hobby.

2.) Where is the rule that you have to "grow up". You can be a responsible person and still grin while your R/C does endos on the track. I even enjoy watching my friends/family wreck my trucks. I have a lot of respect for the "kids" on here that just happen to be older than me!!.....don't grow up, that's when die due to stress :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.