Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
timberline97
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one?

I would like to get some opinions if possible. I am looking into getting my son an RC for this Christmas. I am debating on whether to get a toy rc or a hobby class rc. Here are the pros and cons:
Toy RC:
Pros:
1. cheaper
2. slower

Cons:
1. if something breaks, its in the trash

Hobby RC:
Pros:
1. if something breaks I can get parts for it.
2. I would like to think that it could take more than a toy rc

Cons:
1. can be expensive
2. faster

So, with that, I have thought about the mini lst, hot wheels flash fire, or maybe a losi mini t. I am really not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I do appreciate the comments. I did forget to mention that my son is 4ys old. But he does have some experience in driving my tmaxx and ofna lx comp (and yes, severe parental supervision- me holding the tx and his hand on the throttle and letting him steer.)
Old 12-03-2006, 05:00 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which one?

Go with the toy car tell he get's older.That's what I think and have fun. Eric
Old 12-03-2006, 05:07 PM
ssj2

IMO, I would say get a hobby grade RC. I would say the Mini/Micro T. IMO, I would say the Mini T though. It's not extremely fast/quick stock, but it's enough. I would hate to see you buy a "toy" RC then have it break, it's money out the window basically at that point. At least with the Mini-T, your son could upgrade over time as he gets older/more mature and learns how to drive. I'm basically saying that the Mini T would last longer than a "toy" RC, and your son may end up upgrading the heck out of the thing by the time he's 10. Who knows, but I just suggest getting the hobby grade RC that won't waste your money if something was to break. Just my 2 cents, good luck!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 PM
DaveG55

What's your son's maturity level and general attention span for toys. Be honest about it. Does he prefer toys under, at or above his age level? Does he lose intrest in toys after a few days?
Is he only intrested in your RC's because you use them? Or does he always want to be messing with yours even when you're not there.
Do you intend this new RC to be something that he can play with by himself or onlt when you're around? Hobby Grade stuff is, by defination, more complicated. Can he handle removing small body clips, removing the battery, hooking it to a charger and reinstalling everything? Are you willing to put a $150 - $250 toy in his hands and let him have at it?
Will you be willing to come home day after day to repair his truck even if he breaks something daily?
As for cost, yes the hobby grade will be repairable and the "toy" probably won't be BUT there will still be money going "in the trash", so to speak from broken parts. And some of the parts with potential to break will cost nearly as much as some of the toys you can buy.

My opinion, without knowing you or your son is to just get a toy. Get a nicer one if you want but get a toy. In the long run I think your boy will get more fun out of it and you've not spent hundreds of dollars on something that may not hold his intrest.

Two more thoughts that could weigh on your decision.

Remember, there are LOTS of birthdays and Christmass' yet to come.
Is this really just an excuse to get your hands on another RC that you'ld like to have? (For the record - been there / done that)
Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

We have a Fisher Price RC car I bought for my youngest daughter and she now is in collage and my grand son is playing with it now. That is not even considering all the nephews and grand nephews that still play with it all so.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:46 AM
happywing

ORIGINAL: DaveG55
Is this really just an excuse to get your hands on another RC that you'ld like to have? (For the record - been there / done that)
That's funny. Just over two years ago, I bought my son a Stampede. Ended up getting myself one too (my 1st RC since the late 80's). Now I have (see list below).

On the subject. My son still has his Stampede. He goes through stages of heavy use and no use, but it's there when he wants it and it works...and I can play with it too. I think the Stampede is a great way to go. It can be as fast or slow as you want and it's very tough. My son runs the SS4300 brushless and has yet to break a part (he did strip and idler gear...now aluminum). The Pede's got that monster truck look that the kids love too. Stampede's my pick for the young kids.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 PM
runout74

I have two boys, 5yrs and 4yrs old. I bought both of them an XTM X-Cellerator truck. These trucks will take a beating !!! I have seen them hit head on at full speed and not break a thing. We have yet to break a part. What's funny, I just finished commenting on this in another post. I bought a RC10T4 RTR Race Spec. I break that thing every time I take it out. It just shows the abuse the XTM truck can take. Another suggestion, get a good enough radio so you can adjust the throttle end points. Slow the car down in the beginning. My four year old does pretty good. He doesn't exactly have complete control of the car. He does good but then he will get confused and smack into something. My five year old is better than I am sometimes. They are both capable of driving around the clay oval. It's a demolition derby but they can do it.

Runout74
Old 12-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Gex_61

The micro-t isn't to much, hop-ups will most likely come, and you can run it just about anywhere. Charging the battery would be a lot easier than a 1/10 scale. He could probably do it himself.