Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

new,read sticky, first rc car?

Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM
philstowin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new,read sticky, first rc car?

ok i read the sticky and it helped me narrow my choices down somewhat. im new and still need help so heres what i've narrowed it down to.

buggy,stadium truck,or truggy

i was thinking truggy would be good because i like buggies and trucks.

nitro or electric. electric is clean and no mess while nitro is cool and i like fixing and tuning things so that would be cool but alot of work.

money: probaly around 500 dollars or so.

i want something for racing, fast, but still somewhat durable.

i like losi,AE,and ofna if that helps but anything else would be good.

here's what i think are good choices, what do you think:

i want to go rtr if that helps.

XXX-NT RTR 2 1/10th Nitro
Off Road Truck

XXX-T RTR 2 1/10th
Electric Brushless Powered
Off Road Truck

jammin x1 crt

Ofna 1/8 Hyper 7 TQ Pro ARR w/.21 Engine 8 Port

Ofna 1/8 Hyper 7 Buggy RTR

Ofna 1/8 Jammin' X1 RTR Nitro Buggy

Ofna 1/8 9.5 MBX Buggy RTR w/Fail Safe

gt2

gt2 rs

t4 rs

9.5 pro

Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: new,read sticky, first rc car?

Welcom to the forum,
$500 is not much of a budget to be a serious racier particularly with a buggy or truggy. All so if you are serious about racing you will do a lot better starting with a kit.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:40 PM
paintstikker

Personally I would go with the Savage. I know you would like a RTR, but most kits are more durable than thier RTR counterparts. Of course, you want a truggy, so I cant help you there, Im only a MT guy.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:54 PM
eaglesfn68

ok if kits are that much better than ill stick with a kit instead of a rtr. 1/8th scale buggies are really expensive to be competitive like 1000 dollars or more right. how much for truggyys and stadium trucks. is it really worth it to get an electric stadium truck over a buggie? whats the difference between truggy and stadiuim truck.

if i do get a 1/8th scale buggy it will just be for fun and racing at the local track but if i go stadium truck or truggy it'll be for racing.

is getting a 1/10th scale buggy even worth it?

sorry for all the questions but it'll be a big help. dont wont to make a big mistake and waste money.l
Old 12-10-2006, 05:47 PM
okin

what paints said, i would go with the [link=http://www.everything-rc-cars.com/4-hpi-savage.html]hpi savage[/link].
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The Savage is a great truck but to make it a racer cost a lot. I have one and it will give any monster truck a run for its money. Now both Truggies and Buggies would be way above your budget to build for a kit to make a great racer. A truggy is a buggy but with bigger tires long A arms truck body The word truggy is maded up of from the words truck and buggy.

So if you are wanting to stay with in what money you have allotted you better go with a stadium truck and still will be hard to make a serious racer with the budget you have. All so before you build or buy anything go to the track and see what the rules are! Keep in mind have fun.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 PM
-Inverted-

What kind of racing? Street racing or sanctioned racing like ROAR/IFMAR?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:44 PM
eaglesfn68

sanctioned, proabaly roar
Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 PM
running_gag

The big question is, what do they race at your local track go out there, watch them run, ask questions. rc racers are some of the friendliest people around and love to talk about they're hobby. look at all the people here. since I'm not driving right now, I'm talking about it.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:34 PM
xxturbowesxx

if you want to race pick a class that is popular at your track (probably truggy) and get that.. also if your new to rc cars which is the impression i get your going to need something tough and reasonably competitive and your going to need to dial in your driving so id say get something tough... 500 while its alot for an initial investment your going to need a good radio,charger,tools etc.. which if you get the right stuff can cost close to that alone.... and because i havent met many people to quit rc.. your going to want good radio,tools,charger,etc for the long haul... so look around for that stuff and add it to the cost and then if you get a rtr your just going to throw away the am radio.. i started electric and merged to nitro and because i had everything from owning an electric it made the cross over easier. id go with a stadium truck nitro and learn to drive that and then you can handle the 4wds later on and you'll be that much better of a driver... plus it will leave more money for the electronics and tools... cars come and go don't forget about the stuff that your going to be stuck with ... tools, radio, charger, good servos, etc..
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
running_gag

Don't le tthese guys scare you off. The first last and most important thing youo need to race well is practice. you can get a very decent stadium truck or monster truck to race. your gonna start out in the novice class where your going to race aginst overpowered trucks with underdriven drivers. I've beaten big block revo's with my t-maxx because some people think its all about the kit. now these guys aren't wrong. as you progress you will need to spend more money to be competitive but its not anything you need to worry about right now. When I started racing I had a t-maxx, a cheap battery for the starter, and a timed charger. And sometimes I won. Then I moved up to the sportsman calss. needed new tires then, held my own, decided that a steering servo would help, became competitive...long story short, 5 years, 4 cars and $6000 dollars later I'm still racing on and off road, ad alll I started with was a t-maxx and nothing else.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:20 PM
xxMESTxx

i like that story "running_gag"
Old 12-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Roscco

I fully support the above posts about the differences between a kit and an rtr (ready to rebuild), and i agree that the costs to get into sanctioned racing are higher than i think your anticipating.

However i think i might have found you a compromise. I've never run one personally although from what i've read they are one of the better RTR available just now. Decent radio, decent engine and not alot needs to be done to be TRUELY competitive. I've also read in many places that racing ability straight out of the box isn't too shabby either.

I suggest to you............................. [link=http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0018]The Losi Muggy[/link]

Can be bought within your budget too.