Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

what parts do you put into the washing machine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

what parts do you put into the washing machine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 PM
carmatic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what parts do you put into the washing machine?

hi all

ive just gone thru a wash cycle in my machine , filled with the usual load of laundry but this time ive added the wheels and tires from my truck , i thought they could use abit of a wash before i replace the glue that had come off and let dirt fill the insides... alot less messier than scrubbing it clean manually

what other parts are OK to put into the wash? like dissasembled chassis bits or maybe the body?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what parts do you put into the washing machine?

washing machine may be abit rough to put anything metal in...
Personally,when I want a perfect wash, I remove the electronics and engine and put it in the dishwasher.
it's like a mini laserjet car wash for your RC
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 PM
dirthead

I should try this dishwasher thing with my matrix. do you dry it after? hmmm?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Dokioto

I don't put anything in the washing machine, I just scrub the car or truck with simple green. The dishwasher thing sounds like it would work.....
Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

I use an air compresser to dry it off, but aluminum doesnt rust anyway(well it oxidizes instantly but thats a whole chemistry thing), so the worst thing that can happen if you dont dry it, is that you will have some water spots to wipe off. (unless you use some of that clear dry stuff). Only steel parts are probabaly the shafts, outdrives etc. and usually they are blued or chemically treated to prevent corrosion anyway.

One thing to watch though, if you have one of those new stainless steel lined dishwashers that heat up to like 200*F, you may not want to use the dry cycle at all, just pull it out and shake it off, use an air compressor or towel if you like.
Dishwashing detergent is designed to remove food greases(polar), and it works just as well on other hydrocarbon type oils and grease.

and I forgot to mention, if your diffs arent sealed, seal them up with some tape or something if you can. I seal mine with silicone when I put em back together and use sealed bearings, so no probelm there for me.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:34 AM
fugadude

Dishwasher sounds good to me!

The real question is with or without "shinesheild"?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44245.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	575717  
Old 12-12-2006, 04:45 AM
xtremraptor
My Feedback: (24)

that stuff will turn your car into a LEMON.........[:-]

Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 AM
J_D

i wouldnt put anything in the dishwasher, i think it gets far too hot in there.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Air compressor and diligent cleaning practices are always the best.

dustin7837 made a good point. Steel parts will begin to rust in a dishwasher. It is therefore best to clean your RC by hand and with nitro cleaner and RC safe solvents (safe for plastic parts on RC vehicle).

The RC in a dishwaser is like today's caveman crude chemotherapy for cancer. It is like smashing a fly with a 20 pound sledge hammer. You need to clean the RC where it needs special attention and re-lube the parts that need it. The dishwaser will be too excessive on your RC.
(Off the point but to my point about the primitiveness of chemotherapy. The only true and proper way to treat cancer is to fix it genetically. After all, it is the genetics that is faulty. Chemotherapy does nothing but destroy good tissue with the bad. I totally dislike this form of medical tratment and wish the AMA will focus more on genetic research. Not starting a politcal debate here, nor do I want this to go that way, this is the analogy I brought up to campare to an RC in the dishwasher. Please do not respond to this off topic point, I dont want to jack this thread nor start a new debate.)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

W.T.F. ? Has everyone gotton lazy or what ? Get off your ***** and clean your car . My god , these days everyone wants a RTR car and now you won`t even clean it . Why don`t you just have someone drive it for ya too . J.K. But seriously use your hands , that`s why you have them . Besides you are using water , that causes rust in those little spots that you miss when drying it , if you even do that . It just seems these days people are getting mor and more lazy with rc . The old days you had to build your car , which to me is one of the fun parts of having a new rc . I guess I`m stuck in the old ways . I suppose if it works for ya , great !![8D]
Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
SManMTB

LOL @ this.

I actually clean my airfilters in the washing machine. They all come out smelling good.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:24 PM
fugadude

But how will I have time to participate in my tic tac toe club if I have to wash my RC car?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
carmatic1

ah yes, so in addition to tires and wheels (plastic ones) , you can also put airfilters together with your laundry...

note, the dishwasher method simply involves putting the whole vehicle roughly fully assembled into a dishwasher, hence you could miss alot of spots where dirt would get stuck...

when i meant using a washing machine , i meant putting loose , corrosion resistant parts together with your dirty laundry, and hoping that they come out clean and undamaged... gets most of the cleaning done for the least effort... i was hoping that lexan bodies would be ok to put in the wash as well, but the paint might come off and stain my clothes , and zips, buttons, hard bits etc will scratch up the body... needless to say if you have stickers on your body you dont do this either....

hmm my tires seem to have gotten a whole lot stickier after the wash, i gotta glue them up again soon and try them out, seems that the laundry detergent has gotten into that rubber...also i wonder what happens if i put the body by itself into the washer, either a washing machine or a dishwasher (which i dont have)
Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 PM
SManMTB

I wouldn't mix dirty airfilters with laundry. They deserve ther own cycle.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
paintstikker

I wouldnt stick mine in the dishwasher. Ill stick with wet paper towels, a squirt bottle, a screwdriver, and my air compressor.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:20 AM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: carmatic1

ah yes, so in addition to tires and wheels (plastic ones) , you can also put airfilters together with your laundry...

note, the dishwasher method simply involves putting the whole vehicle roughly fully assembled into a dishwasher, hence you could miss alot of spots where dirt would get stuck...

when i meant using a washing machine , i meant putting loose , corrosion resistant parts together with your dirty laundry, and hoping that they come out clean and undamaged... gets most of the cleaning done for the least effort... i was hoping that lexan bodies would be ok to put in the wash as well, but the paint might come off and stain my clothes , and zips, buttons, hard bits etc will scratch up the body... needless to say if you have stickers on your body you dont do this either....

hmm my tires seem to have gotten a whole lot stickier after the wash, i gotta glue them up again soon and try them out, seems that the laundry detergent has gotten into that rubber...also i wonder what happens if i put the body by itself into the washer, either a washing machine or a dishwasher (which i dont have)
If you used Clorox while washing the clothing then this is highly possible. Thats an old racers trick that some people use on tires when they need more traction but dont care about how long they last. Clorox softens up the rubber and makes the tires more grippy, if you place the whole tire in nothing but clorox it will soften the tires up a bit more. But you have to watch as they will keep on getting soft and if you keep them in for to long they will start to disintegrate. So you tires becoming stickier is possible but one thing you have to watc out for is the tire wear. The tires will wear out faster then normal.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Rs43EVOman

Yes you can put whole cars into the dish washer, but in the long run it isnt a good thing to do. Your steel parts will proably rust, and I dont see why you would do it anyways. Even when my 1/8th buggy is crazy dirty it takes me les then 1/2hour to completely clean it off. and thats with only simple green, denatured alchohal, and papaerr towels.