Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

IM SICK OF PEOPLE TELLING ME WAHT TO DO

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

IM SICK OF PEOPLE TELLING ME WAHT TO DO

Old 12-28-2006, 04:40 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IM SICK OF PEOPLE TELLING ME WAHT TO DO

Ok, here is my life story. I started being interested in Nitro rc-cars. I saved up money and researched the internet for hours. i came out at christmas 2005 with 2 folders FULL of info and more info in my head. because i had done this my mum bought me a prp swift for christmas. i went great with that car, tuing wise and ran it good. then about 6 months into the year i decided i wanted more. i started saving up money and researching and finally decided on a Revo 3.3. after that i wrote a 26 page guide on owning and maintaining a nitro rc-car. this was aknowledeged by a leading rc magazine and LHS owner/operator. In the first week of november i bought my Revo 3.3. this is a great car. I am 12, going on 13 in a fortnight, and everytime i run my car AT LEAST ONE PERSON TELLS ME WHAT I AM DOING WRONG AND HOW I SHOULD DO IT. "Drive faster, drive slower, dont jump it, jump it smaller, tune it leaner, tune it richer yada YADA YADA I HATE IT!!!!!!!!

does anyone else out there get annoyed at people who think that because you are younger, they know more about this hobby than you even though this is the first time they have seen something like this????? i would really appreciate any comments/feelings/feedback on this matter. Thanks, BENJYTHEULTIMATE.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Kawasakirider

Default RE: IM SICK OF PEOPLE TELLING ME WAHT TO DO

It isn't just in the hobby, until your 97 years old no one takes you seriously, I started the hobby ten days before i turned 14, I turned 15 on the 15th of this month so I am only just 15 and ALL the time, wherever I am, whatever I am doing even when I know I am doing it right, someone tells me how to do it "properly" I just ordered a revo 2.5r, a picco .26 max and some other stuff from tower hobbies and I explained to a few people that I was going to shim the diffs and fill them with a different fluid before I ran it, these people have no knowledge in RC whatsoever and are telling me the stock diffs will be fine and I am over preparing. Or with motocross, I like to do jumps at a lower speed and hit a steeper part of the upramp than anyone else, sure it is slower but you get higher and you get more hang time for tricks, I am being told not to slow down, or to hit the not as steep part because it is slowing me down, this isn't even when I'm racing. I also get it at school and in public areas in general, the stereotyping of young people needs to stop. I walk into a shopping centre with my metal mulisha hat on and people automatically assume I'm a thug, or they think I am a dumbass and ask me condescending questions when I havn't done a thing wrong to anyone. Just because someone is young, doesn't mean they are dumb.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:24 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Thanks for the quick reply. This is what i am talking about. is there any more young, frustrated people out there ready to vent there anger in a calm, conventional way???

By the way, Mods, please tell us if our threads are straying too much from the topic of rc.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 AM
swerv512

dude, you dont have to be young to get fustrated from what you're talkign about. i'm 27yrs old and i get the same fustration when i ask people for help about getting my car hooked up. true story- my car was overgeared i thought, guy says " go smaller pinion." next day i go back and he says get a bigger pinion. same day he says my shock oil is way too thin. next day it's way too thick.
i guess as long as the information is given with a good heart then you cant really be mad. if you're talking about the forum- then dont be surprised that you get a thousand different answers to the same question.

i tend to take most advice with a grain of salt UNLESS i see that you have a setup that i desire. if i cant see your car run- then i'll probably disregard the advice concerning suspension set-up.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:19 AM
smaxx3.3

people tell not to jump stuff and don't go as fast and sometimes they tell me to tune it better. well im the only one into r/c out of whole my family, i just don't listen cause they don't know anything about. but that will happen in live, i know it is annoying but you will have to get used to it.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:31 AM
happywing

It's a double-edged sword. I got back into RC about 14 months ago, after a 20 year break (I'm 42). Yes, there is a lot of "advice" flying around, but I try to filter it. I've gotten some great tips. I've gotten some horrible tips. I've heard (over and over) what I already know. I wouldn't want it to stop though.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
boltech

Wait til you have your first kid! you will get all sorts of people telling you how to do things!!!
but i agree with you it gets annoying after a while...
Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Nitro212

ORIGINAL: boltech

Wait til you have your first kid! you will get all sorts of people telling you how to do things!!!

Oh... thats worst man! lol thats even worst right there with a kid don't carry him like that don't do this on pick him up ect ect
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Kawasakirider

Wait till your kids start telling you how to do things LOL
Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: boltech

Ugh. Don't tell me that. My first one's due in June.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:31 AM
smaxx3.3

My first one's due in June.
congratulations! boy or girl?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Hey, thanks! Don't plan to find out if it's a boy or girl until he/she breathes fresh air--call me old-fashioned, but I like surprises. Whichever it is, I just want him/her to be healthy!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

well guys, hang in there....I can remember that day when I was the young one.......yeah....they all thought I was the rebel. Of course, driving my mustang like a maniac didn't help either. You'll never stop people from judging you.....it happens no matter what. You wanna be hip with "your crowd"...then wear your baggy pants, hats like a gangsta, etc..... You want respect from adults....then you need to adjust yourself to "that crowd". Oooopppps.....I'm telling you what to do, aren't I? LOL!!!!!!!!! Look, it's simple, you either don't give a crap what they say.....or you conform to what they say.....it's up to you. Personally(driving my mustang like a maniac), I didn't give a ....... what they said!!! However, when I was at the mall, I opened the door for the older ladies, smiled at people(with genuine compassion) and all the things that would make people think I'm a "good young man.....hard to find ones like that these days". And it worked.....when my high school graduation rolled around, all of my grandma's friend sent me money.....and I blew it all on R/C(and my mustang to go faster!!!). YOU make your own destiny...........just put yourself in the "others' shoes" wherever you are....and act based on that. You give people what THEY want/need....you'll surely be surprised how you'll get what you want/need! You want respect?....then give them respect!!! Sometimes THEIR version of respect isn't YOUR idea of respect. But, like I said, you have to be geniune.....anybody can spot a fake(in person). So, not to tell you what to do.....but, I feel it's really simple. Basically, these people are only trying to be helpful(most of the time)....."Richin' your needle setting" or " Slow down a bit" or "Hit the jump over on the left side".....I mean, sounds to me like they want to "help" you somehow. Your response is what determines how they think you are a "thug" or a "bright young man with a future". Laters

Ob1n
Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

does anyone else out there get annoyed at people who think that because you are younger, they know more about this hobby than you even though this is the first time they have seen something like this????? i would really appreciate any comments/feelings/feedback on this matter. Thanks, BENJYTHEULTIMATE.
It's only because you're young that you feel this way. I'm 34 and have been racing semi-competitively for 20 years. Every time I'm at the track, I receive "advice" from a half dozen people that I believe to be false. I also get a few good pieces of information regarding driving lines, tuning adjustments, and what I'm doing wrong in general. I happily accept all the suggestions and criticisms because I'm too busy working the car around the track to see everything the car's doing. I suggest listening to everything you're told and decide whether or not to try it based on your experience.

The hardest thing is to know when to offer unsolicited advice. Sometimes it's welcome. Sometimes it's not. When I offer help, I ask what it's doing and have a conversation on why and how to resolve it. Discussing why things are happening and what adjustements do is always better than saying "try a stiffer front spring" without telling whether it will provide more or less steering.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:06 PM
silent_echo

yeah i have the same problem, usually i know more about the car then the person telling me how to drive/tune it and so on. a swift kick/running into their shin with my car will solve that. i don't mind someone at the local track giving me a tip on my gearing or something like that but most people just dont realize that how you tune your car is UP TO YOU and further more back to the old saying TO EACH HIS OWN.

good luck man
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 PM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Yeah...... I love these forums, and they are full of people who HAVE A CLUE and are giving advice, i am talking about people who live in my town who are older and therefore think that they know more about the hobby than me, but they actually know NOTHING about it. It seems that this thread is goiong well, and catching the attention of alot of people. keep it up, BENJYTHEULTIMATE
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Titleist

LMMFAO...You gotta be kidden me....A crying room for the babies? No way....I cant beleive your crying asses....you kids run 2 weeks and your experts. I was building planes,cars,boats and trucks before mommy was born...you guys come in here looking for help then get pissed because you dont know what your doing...then then blame the guys trying to help you. Do yourselves a favor...save your money for school...better yet....save mommy and daddy's money. 12 and 13 year old kids getting pissed at guys trying to help them...Go Figure.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:55 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

that wasnt the SLIGHTEST bit close to what i have been saying in this thread. I said that these forums are WONDERFUL and it is people in my home town that pi$$ me off. This isnt a crying room for the babies, it is a thread designed to talk about peoples experiences.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Cicada-

I know how you feel -- it's always like that. When I was racing here locally a looooong time ago when i was younger [about your age, or even younger -- i'm 23 now] -- anyway, I'd race at hte local race nights here at my LHS that was literally right across the street form my house -- i'd walk there every day and get new parts or see what's coming out, etc.

My parents are fairly wealthy, so I when I was younger, I'd gotten pretty much everything I wanted -- when I was racing i had a XXcr kinwald edition, with all the best hopup parts, the top of the line airtronics FM radio, best motors, best charger and cells, etc...[i'm pretty much on my own now so i realize how much these things costed in retrospect -- this is a VERY EXPENSIVe hobby! :P] anyway, I'd go to race nights and all the older guys would ALWAYS tell me how my settings are wrong for the track, how i didnt need all the equipment I had, and how i shouldnt even have it because I don't know how to work it...etc.

the point is, I was having fun, and I would consistently do well in my races, regardless of my settings -- basically these guys were jealous of my equipment and were just being pretentious, and trying to push me around because I had everything they wished they could have.

As far as constructive criticism, then that's fine, but there's no need to come off in a mean or condescending way. We've all gotta start somewhere, and maybe when I was racing I really did have more than I needed, but so what? If you can afford the best, then more power to ya. and if you've got the best there's no need to go bashing the people who aren't quite there yet.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:20 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Benjy, at least you did significant research and went well out of your way to read up as much as you can despite your age. When I was 12, I was very impatient and could care less about reading the instructions (which is typical of 12 yr olds). You on the otherhand practiced wisdom and prudence by seeking as much information as possible and that is truely laudable.

Yes, I too get a ton of advice and correction; I've been in RCs for about 2.5yrs now but the information I learned is phenomenal. This is not a long time and there are those with ten times the years of experience. As far as time in RCs, I can be considered a novice. I know that and when I get spanked at the track, it does not bother me at all (there will always be better drivers tham me with more experience).

There is so much RC information out there. Unfortunately, there is so much BS too. I get frusterated with the bad advices people give me also. I dont mind advice so long as it is correct and will actually help performance and/or enjoyment. But I too wish these guys would not shove thier BS down your throat. Tell it to me one time and I will decide if it is BS by thinking on it and figuring it out or actually experimenting with it if I know it will not cause expensive damage.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 AM
bigbadbowtie

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM
There is so much RC information out there. Unfortunately, there is so much BS too. I get frusterated with the bad advices people give me also. I dont mind advice so long as it is correct and will actually help performance and/or enjoyment. But I too wish these guys would not shove thier BS down your throat. Tell it to me one time and I will decide if it is BS by thinking on it and figuring it out or actually experimenting with it if I know it will not cause expensive damage.
Jim said it.... there is WAY TOO much he said/she said BS.... aka BAD advice given out on these forums. Don't take this wrong young people..... but a TON of that advice comes from young/green RCers. It also comes from older Rcers who are hard headed and stuck in there OLD ways.

Don't get discouraged.....we ALL started out as noobs.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 AM
need 4 speed

i think we need a consler in here j/k yeah i know whant u mean im 14 and people give me advice but hey i need it most of the time
Old 12-29-2006, 11:06 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

My suggestion regarding advice you don't necessarily agree with (or even if you do), ask how the changes will affect the handling/lap times of your vehicle. This way you (1) educate yourself, (2) see if the changes do what they say they will, and (3) weed out bad advice (and those who give it). Sometimes the most arrogant, condescending, self righteous person just has an abrasive personality and really knows what they're doing and is willing to share their knowledge.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:29 AM
bigbadbowtie

i8.... I agree. I think alot of the issues at the track are from the initial approach.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:32 PM
silent_echo

i have no problem with accepting advice from knowledable people. my problem is with the people who clearly know nothing of the hobby yet think they have superiority over you because they are older.

titleist - if you don't have anything encouraging or helpful to say don't say anything, thank you. even though i respect your opinion this was no place for it.

i may be young (15) but i have been in the hobby for a few years now and i know about the same as some people who ahve been participating in RC's for the past 50 or so years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.