Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Run away!!! Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:21 AM
flbucsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run away!!! Please Help

My Losi 3xnt keeps running away....

This is the first time this has happened since I have owned the truck... The throttle goes wide open and the truck will not respond to any commands from the stick... I had to chase it down three times, luckily not much damage resulted when it hit a cement curb at WOT head-on....

I checked all the wires to make sure that they are not shorting out with the frame and they all seem to be fine. The only thing that I see it the antenna wire is frayed at the very end to the point were a piece fell off so that now the wire is about 3" shorter. However, I do not believe this would cause a run-away...

The only way I can regain control over the truck is to cycle the power on board the truck....

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks guys....
Old 02-03-2003, 01:29 AM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

That could cause the problem! Also check if your batts are new or fully charged. cut antenna wires can cause range loss.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:34 AM
buyrbware
My Feedback: (2)

You can solder a piece of 22 gauge au wire to the end to rejuvinate your antenna, I will have to agree with checking the quality of your batterys.

Tom
(not a senior member)
Old 02-03-2003, 01:37 AM
flbucsguy

Originally posted by nitroman88
That could cause the problem! Also check if your batts are new or fully charged. cut antenna wires can cause range loss.
I don't think it is a range problem it happened within 10 feet of me each time...

How do I fix then antenna wire? I did not think of checking the batteries... I figured it the batteries were dead the servo would not hold the throttle wide open.... I have a throttle return spring installed....
Old 02-03-2003, 01:38 AM
flbucsguy

Originally posted by buyrbware
You can solder a piece of 22 gauge au wire to the end to rejuvinate your antenna, I will have to agree with checking the quality of your batterys.

Tom
(not a senior member)
I will do both... Thanks guys for the quick responses....
Old 02-03-2003, 01:55 AM
Moonunit451

Hey man, I thought you wer talkin' about the Superbowl! Talk about a runaway. It was a beutiful thing, and at least ya'll know how to win a championship down there gracefully. Heard they burnt up Oakland anyway. Go figure.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:04 AM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

lol moon
Old 02-03-2003, 02:21 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Run away

The only way to fix your ant. is to remove the current one and solder a new one of correct lenght into the board on the rcvr.
Adding another piece to it will not correct the problem but will actually cause more problems.
If you are not good with electronics and soldering and so forth then you need to send in your rcvr to have it repaired.

As for the run away, it sounds like its your batteries. When you turn them off as you say you did, then turn them back on they seem to work o.k for a minute. THis is typical of dead batteries, a power cycle gives them a minute to breathe and the voltage comes back up. Of course it will drop again quickly if no charge has been applied to the battery.
You can get a voltage checker from tower for a few dollars. Check your batterires before you run each time.

Your throttle return spring may not be installed correctly, it should have enough force to pull the servo arm back from its farthest movements.

As for the crash, you might want to check your chassis as it could be tweaked now.
Also, I hate to be the one to tell you but your motor is history. You may get some more run time out of it but it is not going to have a long life due to the several runaways and a crash. Its the worst thing for an engine to be running WOT then to smack into something.

I say do some reading and learn about rechargeable batteries and about how to charge and test them for use in R/C.
Do this while your rcvr is being serviced and you will be ready to run by the time you get it back.

Dbow
Old 02-03-2003, 03:48 AM
kyokai2

Default Run away?

Excellant advice on the antenna dbow. I have had similar problems in the past and it wasnt dead batteries rather it was the battery holder itself. The best thing you could do is switch to a battery pack rather than the holder, the batteries cant come loose or lose connection. I do stilll use the holder on a few of my cars but i make sure to take a strong rubber band and wrap around the pack to keep them from coming loose. Try that and also check for loose wiring at the holder because that is the problematic area. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:56 AM
kyokai2

Default Runnaway prob.

Forgot to mention, check your throttle linkage to be sure its not touching anything metal or the brake linkage because that will cause big time radio problems. If the end of your antenna is frayed just trim it off a little, I know they say not to but I have with no damage and no problems.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:41 AM
buyrbware

Flbucsguy,
Although i don't believe the reciever antenna is your problem, You donot have to send it in or OPEN it up. The reciever can be spliced as long as you Keep it the same length as when manufactured. Bluemaxrc.com has an antena repair length tool to tell you the length to splice to. Futaba actually sells antenna splices that plug in so you can remove them for maintenace. Rcu has several threads in the radio and reciever forum from manufactures that agree you can splice your antenna. This will save you the 55.00 for the repair and return your antenna to manufacture length. I have researched this and have used this proceedure many times over and have had no problems. Read for yourself it can be done Cheap,safe and works great.

Tom
(not a senior Member)
Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 AM
dbow

Default Splice

buyrbware,

Please post to lnks to support the info you are providing.
Especially the ones pertaining to the manufacturers.

I still would not splice any ant. on any of my models, When I had an Ant problem it was the manufacturers suggestion to NOT install a splice but rather install a new ant. or send it in.
I purchased a new ant from Tower and installed it myself.

Thanks

Dbow
Old 02-03-2003, 12:30 PM
flbucsguy

all of your responses have great suggestions..... thank you

I am only concerned about the dead battery issue...

If the batteries are dead, why would the servo function? Mind you I understand that the throttle return spring may not be installed properly, but the servo was not dead, i.e. I tried to manually push the throttle closed only to find that the servo was powered and holding the throttle open. Would this still happen if the batteries were down on juice?

However, I am Still ordering a few rechargeable packs and a charger today, it only makes sense to do this....
Old 02-03-2003, 01:32 PM
buyrbware

I have no problems posting links, As what you do for your models that's your choice. The #1 way to do it is send it in. the #2 way is to replace the whole wire from the board out. The cheap but still functional and safe not to mention very easy way to do it is splice in. As long as you don't exceed manufactures orignial length. As to the following links it won't matter, you obviously read what you want and unless it is your way apparently it is wrong. However www.bluemaxrc.com (building tips page) will provide you with the neccesary wave length tool for the total length of the repaired antenna. Futaba also has said that a bayonett style plug can be placed in for easy removal of the antenna. The link, for once do some research and call futaba yourself. Horizon hobbies archives has a article on antenna repair. And finally this thread discusses just that
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread.../&pagenumber=2 And If this is not enough feel free to call radio south or D&M electronics and ask them. *Important antenna length has to remain the same as manufactured originally, This is because of the signal strength that goes down through the antenna a solderjoint down that line makes no differance just don't change the original length

Tom
(not a senior member))
Old 02-03-2003, 02:29 PM
hoodiegadoo

Where in Tampa are you? Do you ever go to the track at Lake Park? I live off of bruce b downs and if ya want I can meet you somewhere and help you fix the problem...
Old 02-03-2003, 03:54 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

If you guys are wondering why a shortened antenna can cause so many problems..
I recently read that as with manny antennas, the length of the antenna is "tuned" to the frequency and the band its running at.
I dont know the exact details but this may be why he is having trouble.. I remember even seeing a formula to figure out the length of the antenna depending on other factors.
Anyone know more on this?
-ram
Old 02-03-2003, 06:19 PM
buyrbware

Default calculator example

Receiver Antenna Length Calculator

Calculate the frequency/length of antennas

Enter ONE value ONLY and CALCULATE the result.

Clear the form to make new entries.

Frequency in Mhz. :
Half Wavelength in Feet :
Half Wavelength in Inches :
Quarter Wavelength Feet:
Receiver antenna length in Inches:
Calculate:
Old 02-03-2003, 06:42 PM
dbow

Default Ant.

Originally posted by buyrbware

This is not what I would call good advice, certainly you would have to agree based on your second post as you go so much more into detail supporting your opinion. You state nothing about length in your initial post leaving the original poster to assume that any length of 22 gauge wire would be acceptable. We all in fact know that the length is crucial to the fequency waves of the transmission.

As for my post I never stated that adding a measured splice of wire was wrong, I did say adding a piece of wire could cause more problems as you didnt specifiy anything pertaining to length.

Further I didnt attack you for giving half you know what answers.
I simply stated that In my opinion its not the way to go. My experience with HITEC some years ago was to replace the wire or send it in for service. Even without that experience I would not splice my ant.
Adding a splice may with the correct lenght be safe, however I would not choose to do so.
So with that I certainly would not advise anyone to repair it that way.
You yourself in your second post state that splicing would be the 3rd alternative to sending the rcvr in.
So we actually do agree that the best way to resolve the problem is to send it in.

Either way the forum is a place based on opinion and experience, if you have spliced your ant and had great success then thats great. If I dont choose to do it that way thats great too, dont get your panties in a wad cause someone calls you on where you got your info, or disagrees with you.

Dbow
Old 02-03-2003, 06:59 PM
buyrbware

Correct you are! There are 3 alternatives that all reach the same outlook. So with that in mind give all three of those choices to the person asking for advice. Instead of going to the most expensive choice just because thats what you would do! My panties are fine by the way, The splicing has worked for me, but if I could aford it then yes i would send it in! I think thats what was trying to be said.

Tom
(not a senior Member)
Old 02-03-2003, 08:24 PM
dbow

Default Ant.

I only have three words for you buyrbware

Thats good advice!

Laying out the options and then giving details to support the reasons is good stuff.

I know we all realize that most of this stuff is very opinion oriented and a person asking the question should weigh everything that gets laid down on a thread.

We are not always going to agree but we can agree to disagree and post without slamming each other.
I apologize for the comments about your panties. lol
And I hope you dont wear them...lol

J/k

Dbow
Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 PM
flbucsguy

Now that is all over... I redirect to this question....

Originally posted by flbucsguy
all of your responses have great suggestions..... thank you

I am only concerned about the dead battery issue...

If the batteries are dead, why would the servo function? Mind you I understand that the throttle return spring may not be installed properly, but the servo was not dead, i.e. I tried to manually push the throttle closed only to find that the servo was powered and holding the throttle open. Would this still happen if the batteries were down on juice?

However, I am Still ordering a few rechargeable packs and a charger today, it only makes sense to do this....
Old 02-03-2003, 08:57 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This can happen when the battery is low.

When your receiver batteries are too low, your receiver will not work properly and can send incorrect signals to your radio gear.

Many, many moons ago, I had similar problems with my marui samurai running airtronics radio gear. When the battery pack got too low (I was running with bec circuitry), the steering servo would turn full left (and strain at the end stop) and throttle would be pulling full reverse (original mechanical speed control).
Old 02-03-2003, 11:31 PM
flbucsguy

Originally posted by i8tweety
This can happen when the battery is low.

Thank you....
Old 02-05-2003, 06:11 AM
nopistonRX7

same exact thing happened to me and my car. I was driving then all of a sudden the car whips a u turn and flies straight into a curb. I search through my manual and everything... then I asked a friend and suggested changing the batteries. Well it fix it! Try putting in new batteries. If it doesn't work at least you'll have spares!