Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine to tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
iexion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine to tires

I have an rs4 3 w/ the 12Rss engine. I needed a new engine and wanted a OS .18 CVR. When i was at my hobbytown i noticed they had a .18 tz/tx and being only $60 more then the CVR i put it on lay-way. Got the engine. Fits good (better then the stock engine really) and Aside from needing a better gearing selection, i need a better set of tires. I cant use my foams because the roads around here suck so I'm looking at getting slicks. I wanted to get at least 26mm in the front and no smaller then 30mm in the rear. I found a pair of IMEX 32mm tires on ebay.

"The question": does anyone know of any good slick tires and tires wide "anuff" tires that would fit the rear tires? Being at least 30mm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43778.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	610690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71733.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	610691  
Old 02-03-2007, 04:19 PM
nitromustang

Default RE: Engine to tires

rubber tires are usually all the same size for front/rear.Foams are the only tires that I have seen with 30mm rears.You may have a tough time fitting those 32mm tires on there without hitting or rubbing the header.

Mike
Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 PM
iexion

.....dam
Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 PM
iexion

In reply to my own question, if anyone cares to know... http://imexrc.com/detail.aspx?ID=884
This is exactly what i was looking for, but im guessing there is no offset for the rims. so now trying to figure out how to make them fit will be the next issue. Other wise folks, i was thinking about Hpi's vintage rims a tire combo, 26 Front X 31 Rear
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 AM
iexion

Im posting this just to keep this trend from closing. When the tires come in the mail i'll post them with a mini-review
Old 03-06-2007, 02:34 AM
SFC K

Are you looking for a wider looking tire in the back that sticks out from the fender? If so try a rim with 4mm of negative offset or more. That should get you the look you’re trying to achieve.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 AM
iexion

Ive already done some homework on this so its koo. Ive been looking around on-offline and it came down to two options that ive found, either go with the hpi vintage rim & tire combo being the rear tires are 31mm with a 6mm offset or go with the imex combo (above post). But the imex combo is 32mm rear and im betting they dont have an offset. And i can find only a few...VERY FEW 32 or 30mm tires but its dam near impossilbe to find 30-32mm wheel size.

So i order'd the imex combo (got free shipping by the way) and they should hopefully be getting here thurs-friday. The only main issue i know of is the left rear tire will rub on the battery/servo tray, so i "won" a carbon upper deck off ebay and that should free up enough space for the tires to fit the rear. but the body could be another issue[:-]

If anyone else is looking for wider tires/wheels check out there website. just yesterday (monday) they had 10%off AND freeshipping[:@]. So far this month they have had a few good discounts roll by www.imexrc.com
Old 03-06-2007, 08:47 AM
HeLLsGoD

If you run offsets, it will stop the wheels from scrubbing into the radio tray and exhuast. Just go with the 30mm offset vintage's for the rear. Rear 30mm foams w/ 0 offset look pretty close enough to the radio tray on mine. I dont have rear exhaust like you so im not sure what the clearance is for the other side. Rear part of the body usually has a slightly bigger guards to accomodate larger rims

Im pretty sure the vintage wheels and tyres are 30mm but advertised as 31. Ive never seen or heard of 31mm wheels/tyres for sale
Old 03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
SFC K

Ok, Well when you get it all together I am interested to see how it turns out. You’re going to post pictures of it right? What body are you going to use for the bigger tires?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 AM
iexion

The website said 31 but eh. i have Tuner and Euro bodies so i would need to get another body to fit the vintage rims :P. I already knew about the battery tray issue. thats why i kept thinking to myself that if i got a wider set of wheels, they would not fit so i would need to get another battey tray + i have GRP foams already ( fav tires but no where to run them[] ) . The 30mm rears i had to use a washer to fit them
30mm was the smallest i was going to go with the rear and 32mm is what i was looking for. 35mm would of been the biggest i was gonna go . Yes i would of try'd to put 35mm tires on my car lol.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 AM
iexion

yeah i want to post pics. Im not sure.. maybe the rx8 or my silver audi. One thing is for sure.. I WILL NOT CUT MY RX8 BODY FOR THOSE TIRES!!!! DONT CARE IF THEY DONT FIT THAT BODY IT NOT GONNA GET CUT!! as a matter of fact... i need to figure out what i want to do with that body. I said to my gf that im never going to use that body on the street, only for racing. But there is no onroad tracks around here and im sure there never will be.[:-] I brong her up because i try'd to paint it the same color as her mazda 6, its like some fire red metallic that only comes on a mazda 6. It was hard to match the two colors because her car has a deeper red tone but i think i came close

Name:	Db85805.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	636256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60481.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	636257  
Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
jonsmilez

yeah they are pretty close reds! u get ur tires/rims yet? and eh bro also... did u change ur spoiler twice on ur rx8... cuz i knwo it comes wiht the regular stock spoiler, thne u told me u upgraded 2 that nicer black 1... now i see u got liek this smaller 1... whatsup with that? and u put cf... did all the cf come from the decal sheet, or u buy extra 2 put it on?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM
iexion

Yea i didnt like the bigger one 100% so i had this extra lexan spoiler that came with the supra body. just used that on the back of the car. This way i can keep more of the shape of the car without haveing this oversized HUGE wing on the back. And yes there is a few "hints" of CF on the body. But still waiting on the tires.

Rs4 Nation, Rs4 3 type SS, O.S. TZ Engine, Vantage Pipe \m/ (>_<) \m/
Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 PM
HeLLsGoD

Im also interested in buying new tires maybe the imex ones too. Tell me how the quality and performance is when you recieve it.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
iexion

Blank
Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 PM
iexion

MAN.. the forums have been dead this week.
well i got my tires. After i made them to my liking, i wanted to take them for there first spin[&:] too bad engine problems have been poping up left and right. After going to my LHS, i switched fuels from hpi power fuel to Blue thunder sport 20%.... ive use blue thunder befor and now i remember why i stoped using it. For some reason i cant start the engine ( after it keeps flooding [:@]) and once it started, i take off the ignitor and it dies. it went from dying off in a instant to dying over 5 second time span. no matter if i give it gas or not. So i got a new glow plug, same as the first and it still does it. ive reset the tuning to factory specs and it still does it. took off the heat sink (or cooling head ) and the engine is 100%fine. Still has a pinch and everything but no go[]?!?!?! even went to get another rechargible glow plug battery and still cant get it running enough to tune it. It reallys bums me out because with the little bit of driving i did befor my engine decided it wants to be a pain, the tires really seem promising but i didnt get to do very much driving, just small circles to warm up the engine[&o]
Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 AM
HeLLsGoD

Sounds like your engine is running rich and flooding the plug out, specially when its not tuned to the new fuel u bought. Clear the crank of floods and any other oils thats in there by putting it upside down and cranking it for like a minute or two. Lean the LSN by 1/4 try starting it again, this time try keep your engine alive aslong as you can by reving it with abit of throttle. If it dies after the igniter is taken out, try keep it there for longer, rev it more and lean the LSN more until it idles safely

The moment you just idle there in 1 spot the engine will load up with oil because its rich and put out the plug as soon as you accelerate so you have to clear the engine out once in a while by revving it at least half throttle. So try giving it abit of throttle when your starting and while tuning.

Your using a hot type glowplug right?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:09 AM
iexion

HOLY SHI* [X(] Thats more usful then my LHS. Ive been trying to figure out why/how it got so rich. [:-]But yea thats great info!! Yep the engine came with an Ultra hot glow plug (OS P3). Another thing i noticed after i made that last trend, i noticed the engine had alot of oil on the pullstart. this ment the cupple or exhaust bushing whatever its called, was cracked and was leaking from the engine. im thinking that had something to do with the engine not sounding right when i did get it running. But after fixing that and leaning it a bunch it started and sounded the way it should. didnt cut out or anything. but being it was nite i only had it running for like 20 secs. so hopefully today (sunday) i wont have to spend the whole day running back and forth to the hobbystore and tuning. And just so no one believes me... when i did drive the little bit yesterday. we have a SLIGHT slop in our drive way. i saw my rs4 front end do something ive NEVER seen. I kept thinking i was hitting a bump but when i looked at the ground.... there was no bump[X(]
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 AM
nitro_man

what r u doing with ur 12r ss
Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 AM
iexion

Its just sitting around. In order to make it run its gonna need a new pistion and sleeve along with a new heat sink (cooling head) and when it was running the crank shaft seemed to be moving front to back so prolly some knew bearings to... just about a whole new engine. Even the crank case screw holes have gotten a stripped so i had to get longer screws to keep the heat sink (cooling head) on. Im going to sell the remaing useful parts on ebay today. I also has a -rotostart 2- im never going to use along with the back plate and gears to make it work
Old 03-18-2007, 02:40 PM
nitro_man

ok will the roto stare work on my rs4 3 15fe
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
iexion

Its been around six or seven months since i had a real "RUN" with my rs4.

Im just going to cut thru most of the story

So once i received my tires via UPS. the first thing i did was sand off the edges of the rims and tires so the glue would bond a better.
The tires gave a considerable amount of grip even with all the loose gravel we have in front of our house. There good enough tires to make it clear your gonna need to "re-edit" your suspension a bit. So the next thing i did was go to my LHS and bought a pair of Hpi's inner foams. Altho they are 26mm they still fit good enough to drive. Make sure you use slow drying tire glue when mounting

So i took my r/c to a near by 90% empty parking lot. Sadly the car rolled over a few times (scratching the heat sink) which then I decided to ease off from turning too sharply so I wouldnt flip anymore. The hardest thing im having trouble with is keeping the tires glued to the rims. even after sanding they still come off on the outside edge. Since i could not mae full use of my Imex wheels, i brought my foam tires with just in case the ground was smooth enough to use foams. The foams worked great and even though there was some small rocks and gravel, the tires barely "chunked". Only a few small chunks are gone but nothing worth worrying over

So do you want a pair of tires like these? ~Sure~ The price isn't too bad and you can use them on loose (NOT rally tire loose) grounds along with smooth pavement.

Really any car can benefit from having WIDER tires on the rear. but if you dont have an after market battery tray, your going to need to find a thin spacer or small washer to keep the tires from rubbing on the left rear side of the car (the battery tray). I would recommend putting the spacer/washer on both side to keep everything even.

ALSO! i almost forgot this tip. when you get any new rims. put a few thin coats of CLEAR over the rims, this way u can help keep them from losing the chrome/paint that's on them

Name:	Xv63192.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	644949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60696.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	644950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84837.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	644951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65627.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	644952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14243.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	644953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw27447.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	644954  
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
HeLLsGoD

damn man, those tyres look big like rally tyres. How many washers did you have to fit to clear the radio tray?

also whats that blue bulb in the middle of your tank and fuel filter? Is it a primer??
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 AM
iexion

lmao. that "blue blub" is a primer. but yea i just used one washer in front of the hex but before the wheel. I would of liked to find longer hexes but i dont think they make those
Old 03-20-2007, 02:37 PM
SFC K

I see you got the wheels. Also, post a picture with the body on! Those are just Awesome! I dig the wider stance in the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.