Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savage x rear diff problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:37 PM
webslinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage x rear diff problems

Hello to all, Just got the new savage x, an upgrade from my (old but good) savage 25 rtr I went through the normal run in stuff that went ok but about two tanks into bash mode and the rear diff decided to separate into ten thousand pieces to my great annoyance. has anyone else had this prob with there new savage, i have two sets of 4 bevels on the way so ill see how long they last for.

I also just installed a 3 speed and reverse mod to the car but have to wait until new diffs arrive before i can try it out, any comment's on all of the above would be good to hear. Posted some pic of my old savage 25 fitted with it's savage21 bash cover.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99978.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	584794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75610.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	584795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43665.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	584796  
Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 AM
tn rc bug

Default RE: Savage x rear diff problems

No idea. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 AM
groovethumper

HI, I'VE OWNED MY X FOR TWO MONTHS, AND I'VE BASHED IT PRETTY HARD. DID YOU MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WAS TIGHT AND PROPERLY SECURED. FIRST RULE WITH AN RTR IS TO CHECK EVERYTHING, ALL SCREWS, NUTS AND BOLTS, ALSO CHECKED THE SPACE BETWEEN THE SPUR/CLUTCH BELL. WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN, IT CAME APART.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THE MODS WORK OUT, I'VE BEEN THING ABOUT THE REVERSE MODULE, I THINK THE THREE SEED IS OVERKILL, BUT I'VE NEVER HAD A 3 SPEED. PEACE.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 PM
webslinger

What i mean is the spider gears shattered, One thing i did notice was that on inspection of the front diff "which i thought i better check" i found only a small amount of grease and no oil ! so i think this may have had a lot to do with the problem to start with, so i filled it with oil to the factory stated level i will do the same to the rear diff too when the parts arrive, i may go as far as shimming them up as well.

I will let you know how the 3 speed and reverse mods go when it's back together.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 AM
truckzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi
a lack of lube will deffinately shorten the life of a diff, there only alloy gear so i think they might melt? have you been holding it pegged when jumping??
this puts alot of stress on crownwheels, pinion. i spose if you land off to one side the stress would go to the spider gears
i have the reverse its good. the only problem is i have the old 3ch remote and you can get it stuck in nutral sometimes dono bout the new mixer type
Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Friday31661

Where can i find the Reverse mod.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:26 PM
webslinger

Hi tower hobbies and main hobbies are two of the best priced sites around (if you register with them they send discount vouchers via e-mail regularly) for hop up's last time i checked they had the reverse mods and all the other bits you need. Well the new diff parts arrived i have fitted and shimmed the diffs seems to be going well so far, im trying to get the hang of jumping and landing on the wheels which takes a lot of practice.

The new 3 speed is great and really sounds like the business when you give it the gas, and the reverse mod is great for backing out of those tight jams im stoked. I have just ordered a savage x ss, man i gotta stay off the internet it's costing me a fortune.!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Friday31661

ok im new to this what do i need to order, i see something thats like $60. If that what im looking for.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:11 AM
webslinger

Hi there, if you only have a two channel remote you will need a reverse mod with mixer part number (tower hobbies site)LXMCX3 if you have a 3 channel you will not need the mixer, you will also need a standard servo part number HCAMO149. these parts come with detailed fitting instructions which make it very easy.

The mixer`lets you engage the reverse by just holding on the brake for three seconds and then the same again for back to forward , this is a safe system to use because there is no chance of putting the truck in reverse while it is still moving forward there by stopping any damage to the gear box.i have found it pays to compare prices with different sites, Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:11 AM
truckzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.stormerhobbies.com is normaly about 10% cheeper they also keep a bit of stock. some aftermarket hop ups they dont carry tho.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Friday31661

Sweet thanks alot.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 PM
webslinger

Some pic's of my little collection
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77122.jpg