Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying an nitro on-road racer

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Advice on buying an nitro on-road racer

Old 02-08-2003, 10:07 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying an nitro on-road racer

I was into off road driving for while a few years ago. Now i am looking to get into some on-road driving/racing?. I need some advice from you pros about what cars i should be looking at. When i bought my off roads i bought Maximum and Traxxas and was very disappointed when i went up against rc10's. I was also mad at the lack of availablility of parts for the cars i had. So basically what i am asking is:#1 Tell me pros and cons of different cars you've tried or raced with.#2 Which ones have great hop-ups and if replacement parts are usually found everywhere.Thanks for looking and replying.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:22 AM
eddiedeverell

HPI RS4 type SS is a great car, I dont think its race ready out of the box, but it does come with a 12R motor good for 1+HP, you can always hop that car up, the support for it is incredible, almost every hobby shop has parts for it. It is a kit, $269.00 at towerhobbies.com. It is shaft driven, 4 wheel drive, has a 2 speed tranny, X pattern tires, 2.5mm countersunk chasis. Real quick off the line, very stable car.

Check that out at towerhobbies.com, heres some others that come to mind, Mugen MT-3 $579.00 w/motor, 369 W/O, associated NTC3 these are also at tower. Check them out, let us know what you get!
Old 02-09-2003, 12:23 AM
eddiedeverell

Oh yeah, I hope Packfan means you are a packers fan!! Thats my favorite team. We'll get them next year.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:42 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

I can second that opinion.. the HPI Type SS is a great for someone who knows about cars but new to RC..

I'd reccomend that car in a heartbeat..just dont expect to beat everyone in a race hehe you get what you pay for!!
-ram
Old 02-09-2003, 06:27 AM
packfan88

any known advantages over belt driven or shaft driven? and what about 2wd vs 2wd are all good racers using 4wd onroads? yeah its green bay .....my fav and....you get what you pay for? ofcourse im not looking to spend 2500 but in the 3-500 range is this ss about as good as it gets?
Old 02-10-2003, 03:43 AM
Hondaracer03

I like the Mugen MSX-3 RTR. A friend of mine has one and loves it (and so do I ). I'm going to be purchasing one soon. Check out this site for great prices on kits and RTRs: Ultimate Hobbies . It's only $250! I've heard great things about the SS, but I've read on this site that the Mugens are the way to go for racing and the hpi's are backyard (or parking lot) bashers. I used to own an HPI nitro rs4 2 and liked it a lot, but to make it go fast I would have had to spend a lot of money, so I sold it and I'm going to buy the Mugen. With shafts you don't have to worry about rocks and you don't need to bother with belt tensioners etc. To tell you the truth, I've never heard of a 1/10 scale nitro touring car that is 2WD. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:44 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Well Is the mugen a kit?
Yes the SS is a kit but it comes with the engine and pretty much an assmemble-to-go kit.
I'm not sure if the mugen comes with a motor

I know your looking for on road, but seriously, give the Monster Trucks a look. They are mad fun to drive and very tough as well!
I'd buy one, but I wanna race, and I'm a speed freak so I decided to compromise and get a buggy
But thats just me.

-ram
Old 02-10-2003, 05:00 AM
Wild Gopher

The out of the box RTR team associated Nitro TC3 is a great starter car for someone looking into the on road scene. my friend just bought one and i was very impressed by the stock performance.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:26 AM
eddiedeverell

Buggies right, if your looking to spend around 3-500.00 check out some monster trucks, they are fun, also look at buggies. Two great monster trucks are the HPI savage and the Traxxas Tmaxx. Buggies, for your price range, look at the GS Storm or the Hot bodies RR, if you want to pay more look at the Mugen's or the Kyosho's.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:38 AM
packfan88

well i currently have a stampede a bx and an st .... im tired of off road ....evreytime i go out i break something in either a tumble or a flat out crash.Im not gonan discuss my reason futher on why im going to on road except to say ...im hoping its a little cheap on new parts(not hop-ups).....is everyone in agreement that shaft driven is better? and can someone post a poll of the top 5 on road racers? i dont know enough of the models to start one or i would.....try and keep the cost of the cars around the same 300-500
Old 02-10-2003, 06:20 AM
eddiedeverell

always remember you get what you pay for. Just check out the threads in this forum, it will tell you good cars for that price, look at the HPI RS4 type SS, 270.00 its a kit you need a radio for it.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:36 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to give the serpent impulse a look.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Hondaracer03

Ram, the Mugen MSX3 is a RTR car and doesn't come in kit form (as far as I know). It comes with everything(even a carrying case), and all you have to do is put oil in the shocks, and paint the body. The more expensive Mugens are kits. Some come with engines, and you can get also them without engines. I think shaft-driven is better, just because I have problems with belt tension a lot, which causes less speed . It is definetely true that you get what you pay for. I'd recommend the HPI Nitro RS4 3 SS, Associated TC3 factory team and RTR, Mugen MTX-2, and the Mugen MSX3 RTR. These aren't in any special order, just the order I thought of them in .
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
AR15Ron

Default RE: Advice on buying an nitro on-road racer

ORIGINAL: Hondaracer03

Ram, the Mugen MSX3 is a RTR car and doesn't come in kit form (as far as I know). It comes with everything(even a carrying case), and all you have to do is put oil in the shocks, and paint the body. The more expensive Mugens are kits. Some come with engines, and you can get also them without engines. I think shaft-driven is better, just because I have problems with belt tension a lot, which causes less speed . It is definetely true that you get what you pay for. I'd recommend the HPI Nitro RS4 3 SS, Associated TC3 factory team and RTR, Mugen MTX-2, and the Mugen MSX3 RTR. These aren't in any special order, just the order I thought of them in .
Any information on what parts fit on the MSX-3? I just bought one and I can't find hardly any information on it?? Is the MTX-3 at all compatible? I also can't find a rebuild kit for the stock motor I think it was a MV-12 or something like that. Anyone have a good source for online parts supply? I've had an MBX-4 for many many years now and it is almost impossible to break. I think the Mugen quality is way worth the extra money over an HPI car. I've got more than 6 gallons through my MBX-4/RB WS7 so much I've lost track, I think I got my moneys worth

Any info is appreciated!

Ron