Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Building a snowmobile

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
NitroRunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a snowmobile

Well, its been a day or two since ive been on rcu but im glad to be back. Ive decided to build a snowmobile for use during the winter months since i dont want to get the nitros out in the cold, and theres too much snow for the crawler. Im only 16, funds are limited, and i have to go to school, so its going to be a bit of a slow build. I already have all the electronics and motor, but im going to be building the rest from scratch. If anyone is interested in this il post pics and such, but if nobody cares i wont bother posting it. Wish me luck!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Building a snowmobile

Im 17 and from denfield, not too far away. How are you planning on building the track? That would be the hardest part I think. Id like pics, and good luck!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 PM
ridgewalker

Walmart sold a nice snomobile this past fall/winter it's a polaris 24" long with a about a 3" wide track I put 97 studs in mine and it climbed great it can use a reg. stick pack or one of those 9.6v 8aa cells much faster with the 9.6v speed is the key to stay on top of the snow.It has the basic toy grade electronics but the motor is of the 1/10 scale size.so i plan on gutting the electronics crappy servo and motor and putting in hobby grade ESC,receiver and motor i will use the body,track and ski's i'll also fab up some stearing links and new shocks to replace the friction shocks it came with.I can't upload any pic cause it say's there to big and if i can fig out the problem i'll post some.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: NitroRunner

Well, its been a day or two since ive been on rcu but im glad to be back. Ive decided to build a snowmobile for use during the winter months since i dont want to get the nitros out in the cold, and theres too much snow for the crawler. Im only 16, funds are limited, and i have to go to school, so its going to be a bit of a slow build. I already have all the electronics and motor, but im going to be building the rest from scratch. If anyone is interested in this il post pics and such, but if nobody cares i wont bother posting it. Wish me luck!
Sounds like it is going to be cool... Good luck!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:15 PM
NitroRunner

thanks for the support guys. Ive started construction on the track, it is indeed going to be the hardest part. i also want it to look good, so im gonna have to try and find a cheap sled body for it. its not going to be too big, but its packin a 17t motor and a moped esc, with a 3000mah epic battery. i hope to get a 7 cell sooner or later, but 17 turns on 6 cells should do it for a while. il get some pics soon
Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
NitroRunner

Heres a pic of what ive got so far. right now the track is made of that thick rubber type stuff used on shelves to stop things from sliding around. i plan to make one with studs and thicker rubber, but thats what im using for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59667.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	635182  
Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
hands without shadows

When this thing gets done your going to have to show me it. Which hobby store do you got to? AVF on dundas is what I go to but they have like 0 electric parts. Then theres that one on highbury (I think, maybe wellington?) that has a bunch of large scale cars, there getting into electric a bit. Are there any other hobby stores nearby? Im getting sick of waiting for parts to come everytime I need something.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
NitroRunner

well, i finished the track but im not very happy with it so i need a new design. hands without shadows, i go to avf sometimes, but youre right they dont carry much electric stuff, which hasnt been a problem up until recently when i started getting into elec. i was a nitro guy before. the other one your thinking of is amazing hobbies on wellington, i usually go there since its most convienient to get to. theres another one not far away, in biron, i cant think of the name though, the guys name is enio and hes a pretty good guy, i bought my planes from him. il have to get back to you with the name. Where exactly is denfield btw? i think ive heard of it but cant think of where it is.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
NitroRunner

nvm, i goole eathed you you dont live far away at all. What rcs do u drive?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:53 AM
fugadude

would love to see your build up, please post pics.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:14 AM
SFC K

Try this link. This might give you an idea on how to customize the front skis for the sled….These skis fit Savage, Revo, Maxx and the MGT…..

Good luck, with your project.
[link]http://www.fullforcerc.com/ski-kits.htm[/link]
Old 03-06-2007, 05:45 AM
fugadude

Those are cool. All you need is a snow shovel after slapping a pair of those on.