Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's better Electric or Nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 01:08 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's better Electric or Nitro?

I got electric because they can be ran indoors and on carpet.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:12 AM
rcidiot728

casey brought up a good point, what can u do on a rainy day?

i actually terrify my dog with my truck, thats how boring it gets sometimes
Old 02-24-2003, 01:13 AM
rcidiot728

o and casey, i read the forum about racing a rustler, what did u say to make slime be such a *****?
Old 02-24-2003, 01:18 AM
caseyddr

oh for one he tried bragging about how he won some race with ::gasps:: 60 people in it.. wait he didnt win he got 4th place... Then he got upset cuz i said my electric pan could beat his off road.. I guess he was so hyped that he spent so much money on a rustler that coulda bought (what i think will be the new stadium truck champ soon) mugen or 2 for the same price.. then he started making fun of duratrax, going overboard with his ego :-/
Old 02-24-2003, 01:19 AM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

its just how he is bro, i dunno.... i think is rc car is up his ***** HAHALOL!!!!! for real though he likes to start up a lot of ****, look at hist previos posts, hes always sayin stuff
Old 02-24-2003, 01:21 AM
caseyddr

lets not try to gossip guys and stay on topic Lets talk about this truck that mugen released, anybody have it yet? I wish they would make an electric version! I'd so be on that to buy.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:22 AM
rcidiot728

i gotta admit, traxxas doesnt make the greatest trucks, but with the right parts, and thats a lot of parts, they can do pretty well, but like u said, instead of spendin that much on parts, why not get a better truck, and i still dont know wut an mfe is, i've heard of the xxx-t, and i almost got it, but where i live it was only available in kit, do u know if they come in rtr?
Old 02-24-2003, 01:24 AM
caseyddr

never heard of an XXXT coming as a RTR package, but the MFE = Matt Francias Edition, it comes with all graphite and red anodized parts. very perddy and so much better than the stock XXXT which itself is still kickbutt!
Old 03-06-2003, 04:00 AM
Victor Palad

Preference is the key word. I think nitro is great, especially when you go to meets and hear them pass by with the vroom sound they make. But I run electric, not because of cost, but I just find it easier to maintain. Really depends on what you want to do with your hobby
Old 03-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Jbbxxxnt
My Feedback: (1)

Personally I run both electric and nitro. If I want to come home from work and play with my dog for 15 minutes then I get out the electric, which is also much better for the cold days when I don't feel like starting the nitro. But when I want to run all day at the track the nitro is what I really enjoy.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:10 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by Victor Palad
Preference is the key word. I think nitro is great, especially when you go to meets and hear them pass by with the vroom sound they make. But I run electric, not because of cost, but I just find it easier to maintain. Really depends on what you want to do with your hobby
easier to run?! uh... ok... what world do you live in? And most people devoted to electric have MANY battery packs charged for a day when they leave out, then charge while they race and cool down.. Same with engines, swap em out and try different speeds and such, its so fun to constantly tear them down, replace parts, and see how the handling is improved (if not worsened)... I mean if you want to be realistic, an electric will just about always beat a nitro in 1/8 mile.. (starts flame war here haha)
Old 03-08-2003, 01:51 AM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

electric can definatley have SUPREME power and speed, its a matter of getting your cars setup down to a science
Old 03-09-2003, 04:58 AM
Victor Palad

Originally posted by CaseyDDR

easier to run?! uh... ok... what world do you live in? And most people devoted to electric have MANY battery packs charged for a day when they leave out, then charge while they race and cool down.. Same with engines, swap em out and try different speeds and such, its so fun to constantly tear them down, replace parts, and see how the handling is improved (if not worsened)... I mean if you want to be realistic, an electric will just about always beat a nitro in 1/8 mile.. (starts flame war here haha)
I'm not sure what your remark was about? I'm for electric and if you read what I wrote, I think you would have seen that
Old 03-09-2003, 05:08 AM
caseyddr

you said they were easier to maintain, im disagreeing with you
Old 03-09-2003, 06:14 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

WHAT?!?!

Dude if you dont think electric is cleaner than nitro your high on something! lol

Nitro is just like a real car.. Gotta get down and dirty. I like it but its still dirty!

True you do have maintenance with electrics. But at least you dont have to worry about
1) getting dirt into the engine (BIG ONE for nitro)
2) fuel evaporating
3) is rngine running hot or cold enough? lean rich? needle setting correct??
4) cleaning the nitro goo can be challenging at time
5) Your not screwing up the environment by spitting NOx chemicals or killing yourself with it.

See what I mean? Give the pros and cons.. they are almost so close, that I believe like many of us think, its really a matter of preference.

To outweigh the matter of convenience, electrics have limited run time and are actually more expensive than nitros.
(experience from reading not personal experience)
I chat with caseyDDR on AIM at times and he has convinced me of this also lol)

I prolly forgot half of what I wanted to say.. but oh well it'll come back!
-ram
Old 03-09-2003, 06:38 AM
caseyddr

Want to talk about motor work? Cutting coms, checking coms, changing brushings after just about ever race... MY GOD ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT. It's jus as bad if not worse than nitro :P Then you got all the technical jargen with battery chargin/dischargin/voltage and crap. And you do have to worry about your engine running hot. AND NOBODY HONESTLY THINKS

"wow... I wonder what will happen to those beautiful swans in alaska if I run my nitro MT around the desert in arizona.... hmm.... hope PETA doesnt find me"

come on guy

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
WHAT?!?!

Dude if you dont think electric is cleaner than nitro your high on something! lol

Nitro is just like a real car.. Gotta get down and dirty. I like it but its still dirty!

True you do have maintenance with electrics. But at least you dont have to worry about
1) getting dirt into the engine (BIG ONE for nitro)
2) fuel evaporating
3) is rngine running hot or cold enough? lean rich? needle setting correct??
4) cleaning the nitro goo can be challenging at time
5) Your not screwing up the environment by spitting NOx chemicals or killing yourself with it.

See what I mean? Give the pros and cons.. they are almost so close, that I believe like many of us think, its really a matter of preference.

To outweigh the matter of convenience, electrics have limited run time and are actually more expensive than nitros.
(experience from reading not personal experience)
I chat with caseyDDR on AIM at times and he has convinced me of this also lol)

I prolly forgot half of what I wanted to say.. but oh well it'll come back!
-ram
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 AM
airwethead

Default hmmmm....

Haven't seen this can of worms opened in a while...

It is usually cheaper to race (competetively) with a nitro car. I will be the first to agree that electirc cars can be MADE to run mean and lean, but the cost becomes astronomical.

For a newbie, it is sometimes better to start with an electric setup, because it is easier and more convenient to charge a couple of regular ol' battery packs, plug em in, and hit the accellerator. No engine to fuss with, no mess to deal with, no worry about flame outs and finicky throttle and brake linkages.

But you just cant beat the sound, smell, and raw power of a nitro powered car. IMHO, it is well worth your time to learn about tuning the engine, setting up the car, and all the other stuff that goes along with a nitro car.

If this is a debate about nitro vs. electric, there are good and bad about each. I lean towards nitro because for me it is worth the extra effort. But like several people have already stated, it is just what you prefer.

(nitro RULES!)
Old 03-12-2003, 03:40 AM
ridethelightnin

One of the reasons I started this thread was because a friend of mine talks so much shiat about electrics since he just bought a Ofna buggy so I wanted some ammo for telling him he's full of shiat! I am in the process of resurrecting my old electric RC 10 to try to make him eat his words. That is why I stated in the beginning "if cost was taken out of the equation" what are the pro's and cons. So now I just need to evaluate if beating him with one hopped up electric buggy is worth it. Hmmmmmm....let me think.............Yes it is!!

However, I do agree that nothing beats the sound of a nitro but electric is cool too. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 03-12-2003, 03:53 AM
caseyddr

lol thats one department i dont think you can win... an electric 1/10 buggy vs a 1/8 ofna buggy? Lol dude your asking to much there unless you slam more than 6 cells in that pack, and then you will only be running 5 minutes if that... You are really asking for to much in that category, they are 2 totally different classes. If you were wanting to take his Savage with a TXT-1, thats a different story, but 1/10 electric buggy vs 1/8 gas buggy? I don't think that is possible.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:44 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Technical jargon and cutting wires is one thing.. Spilling smelly gas and having grease and oil all over the place is another.

Both suck, but electric makes you look smarter and more civilized than a nitr grease monkey! lol j/k

I truely believe they are quite evenly matched. Electric has the technology and it removes the "user error" to some extent. There are no needles to mess with and no "perfect set point. Getting 3 needles set up exactly right isnt an easy task!

Anyway.. Anyone have any opinion on a tamiya Dirt Thrasher?

Its an 1/10 scale electric. A dude on RCU wants to trade for some stuff and I have no idea how good/bad that thing is.

It'll just be a side buggyy something to run when I dont feel like dealing with nitro troubles
thanks
ram
Old 03-12-2003, 04:53 AM
caseyddr

tamiya buggies arent high quality and it'd be pretty slow compared to any other 1/10 buggy IM me and ill give you details about buggies that are good for beating.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:56 AM
Rob D

Nitro all the way
Old 03-12-2003, 11:17 PM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

cost no option? and you want to hand it to his greasy *****? then i have just the idea for you, and it DEFINATLEY CAN BE DONE..... well lets see.... first off, a NOVAK brushless system FULL KIT.... BIG BUCKS, 2nd off you better get a tranny built from hell.... some type of 9-10 cell metall hydride 3300 pack should get the job done..... and really the rest i cant tell you, just customize to suit your driving style, if you need any parts custom made just let me know.... haha i like this whole idea of you proving a point to that nitro nerd... what i listed is FLAT POWER AND SPEED.... i hope you can find a gear to suit you, and figure out a suspension setup that will also suit your needs...
hope i could help!!! by the way this is just a very basic idea!!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:30 AM
caseyddr

Default Re: hey

Originally posted by Xx MR MAGIC xX
cost no option? and you want to hand it to his greasy *****? then i have just the idea for you, and it DEFINATLEY CAN BE DONE..... well lets see.... first off, a NOVAK brushless system FULL KIT.... BIG BUCKS, 2nd off you better get a tranny built from hell.... some type of 9-10 cell metall hydride 3300 pack should get the job done..... and really the rest i cant tell you, just customize to suit your driving style, if you need any parts custom made just let me know.... haha i like this whole idea of you proving a point to that nitro nerd... what i listed is FLAT POWER AND SPEED.... i hope you can find a gear to suit you, and figure out a suspension setup that will also suit your needs...
hope i could help!!! by the way this is just a very basic idea!!
i was going by standard 6cell pack :P you couldnt run more than 2 minutes off 10 cells :-/
Old 03-13-2003, 03:02 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

this debat has been going on forever and its seems we all agree its a matter of opion on which you prefer.

sure there are the high end racing electric set-ups. then there are high end racing nitro set-ups.

when your at t-maxx vs e-maxx, my 9 year old nephew can get an electric going out of the box. let him try with a rtr nitro? rofl
tell me now which is "easier".
not extreme vs extreme, just nitro vs electirc

NITRO RULES !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.