Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Birth of a Backyard Track

Old 05-28-2007, 06:32 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Birth of a Backyard Track

Well, my Mantis Electric tiller showed up yesterday!!!!! WOW!!!!! This thing is awesome......I can't wait to use it for other things around the yard as well. It's quiet, powerful and works BETTER than a big, self-propelled $800 unit!!!! I know cause I rented one last summer! It was a very nice Craftsman gas powered tiller....it did great.....but this thing kicks it's butt!

It was time to de-weed the track and make it into all dirt and NO vegetation! Assembly was done in less than 30 minutes and I was out using it right away. I did, however, pop the internal circuit breaker once.....I was over by the fence where a bunch of leaves and debris had accumulated over the winter. The soil in this area was really damp and "gooey".....and I snagged some plastic bag that was buried under the leaves. Didn't take much to remove the bag.....then I tried to reset the breaker...but, apparently, I got it warm.....it was warm that day as well and I was in direct sun light. After a 10 minute break, I was at it again. No problems after that. I hit an underground root and it bounced me onto the corrugated tubing in one spot......poked some holes in it....but nothing too bad.

I had the tines facing in "reverse....so it would really claw into the ground. I wanted to mix the soil really well and get rid of all things green. Next time, I will turn the tines the other direction(about a 2 minute changeover) to de-weed anything that tries to grow again. I love the fact I didn't need to use gas or start the thing! Just plug it in and pull the trigger!!!!! Better hang on, though.....it's tougher than you would think! Clean up was a breeze....just hosed off the tines and put it away.....all 26lbs. of it! I HIGHLY recommend one if you do any kind of gardening and/or yardwork that you have 110v power nearby. I don't see the need for gas tillers anymore! I even got the free edger attachment and kickstand with free shipping, too! Can't go wrong!

I will admit, though, the track is very SOFT now......but, I've watered it to allow it to settle.....and it's rained a few times as well. Everything is started to fall together! I've also started to "sweep" it with a shop broom to filter the rocks and sticks off of the surface. I've especially done this around the tabletop area.....as I want it to be as smooth as possible in this section. I want as much speed as possible for the jumps.....no matter what vehicle I drive!

I drove the Savage on it the other day as well for the first time! It's a little small and tight.....but the jump section is awesome! The Savage loves to fly via the tabletop! My Vendetta ST is also, surprisingly, a great flyer over this area......and this track couldn't be more perfect for 1/18th scale! I do, however, need to get some thicker shock oil.....the jumps are almost too big for 25 weight oil! My Evader Pro ST is a dream on this track!!!!! All by itself, it can manuever easily and has plenty of breathing room to roam. I could see that 4-6 1/10th vehicles would really create a "tight fit". But, would make for some interesting driving! All and all.....I am very happy with the re****s so far.

I have put approximinately $200 in this track.....that includes the 4" tubing, stakes, wood.....even the maple tree I planted! This would, however, EXclude the cost of the Electric Tiller. But, I figure I have other uses for that as well. I started on this track plan back in February......It is now the end of May.....and the track is, essentially, complete. Just some more fine tuning and other things to be done....and I will add them as they are done.

Hope you have had as much fun reading this as I have writing it....and it's not over just yet. But, the majority of the hard labor and cost is done. Next step......LIGHTING!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21173.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	693229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36065.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	693230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76242.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	693231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80342.jpg
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	693232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug52746.jpg
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	693233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62437.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	693234  
Old 05-28-2007, 07:05 PM
agentM192

Awesome track! I wish I was your neighbor!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 PM
ob1n

Heh.....believe or not.....so do I!!!! It kinda sucks to have no one else in this hobby around here! But, the kids are getting older and they are starting to "catch up" with their interest! I mean, they are interested now.....for about 5 minutes! LOL! As they get older, I suspect they'll put more time into it with me.....or, at least, that's my hope. I've got 3 kids.....surely 1 of them will be in to it as I am!?!! I won't force them...but I will encourage it. Time will tell!

Well, if anyone's in the area(don't know why you would be in this area....but if you are)....you are invited!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 PM
s7jstep1

we need videos!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
ob1n

That's coming soon.......videos........!!!!.....
Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
need 4 speed

nice track wats on top of it?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
rc_racer69

nice track wats on top of it?
he rototilled it
so the top is real soft
so hes waiting for it to settle
Old 05-29-2007, 08:23 PM
need 4 speed

oh i see it looks real nice
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
s7jstep1

i started on mine again. a friend and i built a crappy driver stand but it is sturdy as hell. not one angle is close to 90*
Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
agentM192

Any more updates?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
ob1n

LOL.....sorry guys.....just been busy......

I have found that my dirt is really dusty.....anybody have any ideas to make it retain moisture better? I am dumping grass clippings on it and then I will roto till it into the soil. Otherwise, i will wait till the fall when I gather ALL the leaves I can and till it into the ground as well.

Otherwise.....I've been doing maintenance......The dirt seems to "wear" away from the tops and edges of the jumps. I am also gathering items for my "track wetter system". Basically a sprinkler system that is permanent to turn on 15-30 minutes before running on it. It helps tremendously with traction and keeping the dust to a minimum.

Other than that......it's been fun! Just ordering parts so I can get more than one vehicle running at one time!! Right now, my sons and I trade off driving the pede. Sometimes I'll drive the Vendetta with them......but they just wanna run me over and break it! LOL......Plan on getting my other 2 pedes put together and having some real fun!

Ob1n
Old 06-09-2007, 08:31 PM
agentM192

Umm would the white stuff found in soil help? I forgot what it's called but it retains moisture I know that.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Rs43EVOman

Track looks sick, you definetly need a video, but please try and get a cameraman, im sick off all those videos were the camera is set down on the ground, or a table.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM
agentM192

Ah I remember what it's called. I think it's called vermiculite.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:25 AM
ob1n

I've never heard of that before?! I've actually started to get grass clippings from the neighbors(since I don't have any grass) and I will begin to "mulch" that into the dirt. It'll stink and clippings will be everywhere at first.....but I think it's good way to "richen" the soil. Also, this fall I plan to get a crap load of leaves and dump on top of it. I have a corner that had lots of leaves from last year...and after I've till the whole track.....I noticed that area is really good dirt that is "heavy" and retains moisture better. I've heard of putting laundry detergent .......I might try a small area and see what happens. Or not....

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I am trying to gather some video and updated pics......so hang on guys.....

Ob1n
Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 AM
agentM192

Try a nursery or a Home Depot for the vermiculite. It's those little white balls you find in potting soil.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Gex_61

Or just drive on it early in the morning and late at night, get some track lights. I have the same problem but I like the hard packed dirt. I don't even bother to go out during the day. I can put puddles on the track and watch them evaporate, and the motors get dangerously hot.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Pecanpatch

Hey
I enjoyed the thread on your track build. You did a heck of a job.
let others know the track is there, and they will come.
I want to build one myself. I live in Ga where we have the good ole red clay.

You have inspired me!
thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 AM
ob1n

Thanks for your comments Pecan.......sorry I haven't been updating the thread as much as I used to! However, I am about to get some free time......so I should start posting again soon. I'll show what the track looks like after a month of no maintainence.....then what is looks like after I de-weed it again. I'm looking to add lighting to it....and some landscaping as well......so, hang in there guys....it's coming!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all I have to say is.....WOW!!!!!!! You did an awesome job, it looks great, and utilizes the space very well. I myself have been planning to build a large (50x100 foot) track in my back 2 acres. I currently have 4 big light posts that you see in store parking lots up around where the track will be. I also have a very large driver stand, and I have about 6 big 100 foot roles of some of that 5 inch corrugated piping. My dad has a Bobcat and a Cat. Backhoe I can use. But I have yet to start on it. But I think yours is great. And as far as the dusty dirt, try speading a very generous amount(about 1/2 an inch) of moist potting soil all over the track, and till it in. That would add alot of small pieces of wood fiber and moisture holding compounds to the dirt. But you may have to use weed killer alot on it every spring and summer, as the potting soil makes it easier for weeds and grass and such to grow in the dirt. Otherwise, I think it would work great. Great job man, I love the track!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 PM
chimpychimp14

what website did you get the tubing from
Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 PM
ob1n

sorry chimp.....it wasn't a website....it was a hardware store.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
chimpychimp14

ok thx anyway
Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 AM
ob1n

OK......Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, some updates!!!!!!!! I've been working on "Track Wetting System"(TWS)!!!!

Here's what went down..... I purchased 4 yellow, plastic sprinklers, some hose repair kits, rubber washers, mutiple manifold, etc....

I got my Mantis eletric tiller back out and "dug" a trench of where I wanted to bury the hose. Now, I let the tiller work real deep.....as I wanted to make sure that if I ever use the tiller again to de-weed....I wouldn't hit the hose that I would be burying underground. The hose I used happened to be an old one that I used to have at the place of business my father and I had. Since it was rather "shabby" to be using around the house.....I cut it up and used it for the TWS.

I also had to burrow under my sidewalk so that the hose would not be lying on top of the ground.....something to trip over at night....and I hate that!!! Again, since I save everything......I found an old paint mixer that I made at my shop some time ago that I used to use for mixing 5 gallon pails. I attached it to my Ryobi 18v cordless drill.....snapped the speed setting to low/torque and started to drill away. It took me 2 battery packs to make it under the sidewalk.......that stuff was HARD packed! All I know is that I was glad I didn't have to do it manually. I wasn't exactly a straight hole......nor did it happen really fast.....but all I had to do was hang on tight to the drill and give slight pressure.....and pull back every once in a while to clean out the dirt.

This really made the system look much "cleaner".

Then, I started to run the hose. Of course, before I started ANYTHING......I set up the 4 sprinklers with long hoses, etc......in a mock setup. One thing you DON'T want to do is get it all buried only to find out it doesn't cover very well. I knew I wanted to put these sprinklers right up the middle of my 2 opposing lanes. And, I found out in my mock setup.....with my water pressure.....it was perfect cause it would overspray by 6-12 inches on each side at full blast!!! So, I run the hose, cut it, then add the hose repair kit and tie in the sprinkler. Then, do it all over again. Then, I test it one last time......once satisfied.....I buried the hose as deep as I could. But, I had to set the depth of the sprinklers to where they were just breaking the surface. You barely notice them......in fact, I didn't notice this when I bought them.....the must've been two different production runs.....cause 1 of the 4 sprinklers has different spraying head on it. This thing can, literally, be right under the top surface.....as the water sprays directly from the very top of the head. The other 3 spray from the side of the head......but, only 1/2" protrudes above the surface. No big deal! I've posted pics below.......

Name:	Vt57718.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	721856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37947.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	721857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47971.jpg
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	721858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66217.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	721859  
Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 AM
ob1n

Here's some more pics of the TWS......

Name:	Fd92148.jpg
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	721862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39749.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	721863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49772.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	721864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30953.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	721865  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.