Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

15 %vs%20

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:43 PM
dpb73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 %vs%20

A LHS sells 15%nitro. He says it runs cooler without any power loss. I don't know enough to say any thing. I don't know the name of it but its not a home brew.Do any of you run 15%.and would 5% less nitro make that much of a difference.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
bigbadbowtie

Default RE: 15 %vs%20

ORIGINAL: dpb73

A LHS sells 15%nitro. He says it runs cooler without any power loss. I don't know enough to say any thing. I don't know the name of it but its not a home brew.Do any of you run 15%.and would 5% less nitro make that much of a difference.

Its more than likely Morgans Omega is its 15%. Great fuel in my opinion. You will notice a slight drop in power and will have to retune. As far as running cooler, thats dead wrong. Up to a point, more nitro will actually cause cooler temps. The reason..... higher nitro %'s allow for a richer needle setting. Richer needle setting = more fuel. Alcohol is the main ingredient in our fuel and it actually burns cool.

Less nitro you have to lean the engine out in order to make any power.... lean is mean but causes higher temps.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigbadbowtie

Less nitro you have to lean the engine out in order to make any power.... lean is mean but causes higher temps.
Not necessarily. Omega is fuel designed for airplanes. And for most who have looked usually it contains a solid 18-20% oil versus our car fuel at 12%. So with less nitro and leaner settings that fuel is still delivering the same amount of oil to the engine which not only lubricates, but also carries away a lot of heat. But the leaner settings also mean less fuel which equals less power.

So to wrap up, same temps/longevity, less power.

I would personally stick with fuel designed for cars in a 20% blend. That is what most engines are designed to run and they do run quite well with it.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 PM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

30% is better.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:07 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are we jumping to conclusions about the brand of the 15% fuel? You may be right about it being Omega(which I use in my planes), but not necessarily. The two LHS around here each sell several blends of car fuel in 15% nitro and 10% nitro. Duratrax Red alert and Powermaster are two that spring to mind. Either way, the information about re-tuning slightly for varying nitro content referenced in the previous posts if correct. Conservatively tuned, you will notice slightly less power on 15% nitro, probably not enough to really miss.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:39 PM
dpb73

what would be the point. i see the reason for 33%=more power,does it make your motor run cooler =ing a longer life.