Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

AM vs FM

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Dan07RAZE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM vs FM

Hey guys

I'm looking into purchasing a MT with an AM radio & many people have said I need to upgrade to a FM unit. Is there any performance reason why?

I will only be using the truck with 1 other person who will be using a FM radio. The MT will never be raced & probably won't be further than 350 feet away from me at any time.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Suprachrgd82

Default RE: AM vs FM

Consider your long term RC career also. If you do not see yourself at any track or with big groups, AM is okay. AM radios are ideal for fun-running in your hood with a friend or two. You may get an occasional glitch from a powerline, but nothing serious. (FM will glitch too, but is less prone.)

Above all, be practrical in your choice of equipment. Purchase what will best suit yor needs.

If you DO see a potential to race or bash w/ buddies, and FM will be worth the initial investment. To be economical an MX3 or MX8 is a good choice in the 75 band.

These allow multiple vehicle set ups with 1 radio (single investment for many cars), and 75 offer the most varyations per band so you can run without fear of someone on your channel.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what you're doing, the AM radio the truck comes with will more than suffice. I do strongly recommend you purchase an inexpensive fail safe unit. When set-up properly, they will bring your engine to an idle if you lose radio signal (prevents a run-away). They can be bought new for around $20.

If you do decide to upgrade your radio in the future, forget going FM. For a few bucks more a spektrum type radio is the way to go. They have a built in fail-safe, no crystals, automatically finds an available frequency that is not going to interfere with anyone running an am or fm radio (unique frequency band just like cordless telephones).
Old 07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
cody_prochaska

I agree with tweety eater...LL. If you want a really nice radio setup, a spektrum is the way to go. How ever if you dont plan on racing or purchasing multiple rc vehicles a nice FM is the way to go. You can pick one up at most LHS for 100 - 150 dollars with a reciever and servos if you like. High end FM transmitters can run up to 600+. If i were to suggest a nice starter FM a futaba 3pm works great and has awsome range. It is also programable for up to 10 different vehicles. I bought this transmitter when I built my new RC10T4 and love it. I am also going to use it for my new project car (1/10 scale general lee). It ran me 139.99 through tower hobbies. it IS a 3 channel transmitter and came with its own reciever (as most transmitters do) and your choice of servos.

hope i was of some help.

cody
Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 PM
DaveG55

If you're not going to race and are only going to bash with 1 or two people, don't waste your money. Stick with the AM radio. It will do you fine. If you decide to upgrade later, skip FM and go straight to a DSS system.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 PM
nikg

Hey, how close to power lines do you have to be for AM to glitch? Anything else that will mess up the signal? Thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 PM
fat1

dude dont worry about it. Go to youtube and watch all people runnin around in their street with no problems.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 PM
hevyhitter

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

If you're not going to race and are only going to bash with 1 or two people, don't waste your money. Stick with the AM radio. It will do you fine. If you decide to upgrade later, skip FM and go straight to a DSS system.

straight and to the point. nice.... i could go to local hobby shops for the rest of my life and never get a answer like this.