Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

OPS engines? Any good?

Old 03-16-2003, 05:47 AM
real468

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPS engines? Any good?

Any body know anything about OPS engines? Are they any good? have you ever heard of them before?
Old 03-16-2003, 08:11 PM
KyleSch

Ive never heard of them before, what kind of thing are you planning on putting a new engine on?
Old 03-17-2003, 01:35 AM
real468

Default rs4

HPI rs4 ive been looking for an affordable engine for the longest time now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=34062
Old 03-17-2003, 02:29 AM
freak

OPS engines are very popular and competitive for RC boats in Australia.
I have been running an OPS 45 in a hydro for 2 years and the only problem I have encountered are con-rods letting go,(but thats boat racing)
as for car applications I couldn't say.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:35 AM
mig3

Default RE: rs4

Hello,

I bought a NEW OPS .60 SUPER with the rear intake/exhaust as well as the "slide barrel carb"........(27,000 RPM's) I would like to mount it in an airplane but need a "drive washer" and a "thrust washer"........for a prop. THIS ENGINE CAN GO MARINE, FAN OR RC AIRPLANE....IT IS A BAD ASS! I believe the engine if from 1978 as the instructions say so and is new. There are SOOOO many marine drive washers out there if your will to pay the price! I have the box, instruction and the quality is amasing! I would post a picture if I could!! It has a number on the bottom which is 658 located behind the front bearing and on the rear casing cover; it has another number, 666 (just great!!) stamped in the bottom below the carb intake. I can send you quality 600 X 800 meg pictures! This WAS the BEST engines money could buy as all the screw holes are ressed and the craftmanship is like NOTHING I have seen! It has the long shat for the MARINE application. i have seen the "drive washer" for a prop and line it up with my Super Tiger G .60's and they are the same length......on the Internet is 40 MARINE places to gets parts for the OPS (BIG in Marine)......I just got it and posted a add to find the "drive washer".....i am not going to lie to you when I say I paid $250.00 for her!

Thank you,
Daniel Ajmo
Fort Lauderdale
[email protected]
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
trainer25
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: OPS engines? Any good?

Well i'll let ya know when i get it going. I got a .15 pro roar side exhaust from a guy here on rcu.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OPS makes fantastic boat engines... didn't know they were making car engines now, have a link?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
lez1troubles

OPS engines are bloody fast, a right hand full if your a beginner in the buggy class and there road engines just scream speed. If you can get ahold of one, do it, you'll not be dissapointed. Those are engines with a very long life span. The factory has burned down though.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 AM
mig3

OPS are some of the best Italian RC engines ever made,

BUT like the gent says below = lots of connection rod blows in them, especially in the .40 AERO and boat / water cooled versions. These rods do have the oiler holes in them and they are brass bushed like the better RC engines.........the BRUTE power makes them blow.

NOTE: Rossi uses a much thicker crank / rod assembly and they do NOT blow up. But LIKE the mighty Rossi = JUST AS FAST,.....

The OPS uses a 1 piece hemispherical head ( dome like ) with the seperate "donut" that fastens the head to the case. Norvel also uses this design which makes for the fastest engines in this hobby.

PORTING is the 5 way style; and not the 3 like most. I have a Italian Rossi here with 7 intake ports and it is a .65 in a .60 case. Stamped "65" on the mounting lug from the factory.

The racing / slide carb versions are among some of the fastest RC engines.

I have MANY OPS boat engines here, some are in bags taken apart because I can not find a connection rod. ( piston to crank rod ) But I do know of a guy who makes the rods for any engines. I can ship these to anyone who wants them FREE = less shipping of course + YOU CAN HAVE THE PARTS! = pay the shipping only!

I did not know of the factory burning down,; but that may explain why all of a sudden; parts were almost impossible to get!

MIG3
Old 05-29-2010, 01:32 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mig3

OPS are some of the best Italian RC engines ever made,

BUT like the gent says below = lots of connection rod blows in them, especially in the .40 AERO and boat / water cooled versions. These rods do have the oiler holes in them and they are brass bushed like the better RC engines.........the BRUTE power makes them blow.

NOTE: Rossi uses a much thicker crank / rod assembly and they do NOT blow up. But LIKE the mighty Rossi = JUST AS FAST,.....

The OPS uses a 1 piece hemispherical head ( dome like ) with the seperate ''donut'' that fastens the head to the case. Norvel also uses this design which makes for the fastest engines in this hobby.

PORTING is the 5 way style; and not the 3 like most. I have a Italian Rossi here with 7 intake ports and it is a .65 in a .60 case. Stamped ''65'' on the mounting lug from the factory.

The racing / slide carb versions are among some of the fastest RC engines.

I have MANY OPS boat engines here, some are in bags taken apart because I can not find a connection rod. ( piston to crank rod ) But I do know of a guy who makes the rods for any engines. I can ship these to anyone who wants them FREE = less shipping of course + YOU CAN HAVE THE PARTS! = pay the shipping only!

I did not know of the factory burning down,; but that may explain why all of a sudden; parts were almost impossible to get!

MIG3
OPS 40 aero engines blow because they used a poor quality brass for the conrod bushings. I have 2 that have blown and are just sitting in a box. What you are talking about is a head button, only some Norvel engines use the head button. Norvel is now owned by ASP, and ASP stopped producing the Norvel style motor shortly after the buyout. Have any Norvel engines you want to sell?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

Hi Mig3, I know you posted this quite ahile ago but I have two of the older OPS marine engines that I am trying to get up and running. I am not sure if the offer still stands about all the spare parts you have for the OPS but if it does I would really be interested?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92820.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1747179  
Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 PM
storm_57
My Feedback: (11)

I am an old time RC boater and RC Car racer have used most of their Marine engines including .21 for oval car racing. These engines are really high performance with high rpms that can take a 50-60% nitro fuel (K&B 1000) back in the 70's. These were our top of the line race engines we have used including K&Bs, Webra for our RC hydros, boats and cars and to mention OS Max as well. They have quality and outstanding performance and I can vouch for that.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 PM
galvborn

I bought on ops .65 water cooled for my boat back in the 80,s and it was a monster 3 and a half hp at 27000 rpm and ran like crazy
Old 02-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Saltydog949

Greetings
Im new on this site and perhaps you can help me out. I have an old Picco .90 hydro (red and blue box) but afraid to run it because I know the con rods fail. Does your friend make an exhaust throttle for these types of engines?
Thanks
Eric
Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

To be honest your far better off running it with a carb rather than a exhaust throttle. Exhaust throttles are messy and only efficient running wide open. Are you planning on racing this motor or just playing around? An exhaust throttle will give you a few more rpms on the top end (as long as your pipe is setup properly) if you're concerned about the rod in your engine then an exhaust throttle is not the way to go. But if you really want one PM me and I probably have one that will work, if not I could make one.